Secret Menus And Nav Hacks.

COZ

With this secret menu you can see any fault codes, test all the panel buttons, turn on the rear camera and look at Nav data. I'll post some pics in a few days. But, for those of you that can’t wait to try it I'll describe it. *NOTE* This will lock you out of the radio controls. Attempt at your own risk!

I have a 2004, 3rd gen NAV running version 3.1. There is an easier way to get there then how I will describe it below but this is the easiest way to describe it. Here is how to get to the secret menu:

- Press INFO button and then "Trip Information" (This is to bring up a background to give a reference for where the hidden buttons are. Once you know where they are you can delete this step)

post-20254-1156650241_thumb.jpg

- Press DISPLAY button

post-20254-1156650344_thumb.jpg

- The hidden buttons are the A in "After Refueling” and the C in "Cruising Ranging." Press A and C in the following pattern. A,C,A,C,A,C. (That should be it, but just keep going until the menu pops up)

post-20254-1156650259_thumb.jpg

- The Service Menu should appear. The only thing I wouldn’t mess with is the Memory Copy and paste stuff.

post-20254-1156650397_thumb.jpg

- While in this menu you can also monitor trouble codes. Once the system has done a self check all the buttons at the bottom of the screen will turn blue indicating that you can select that option. To check all active trouble codes select LAN Monitor in the lower left corner. The screen should appear.

post-20254-1156650417_thumb.jpg

To see the trouble codes push the CHEK button next to the system that has a CHEK button availble. If the are no faults/codes them the button will say "no err" and you wil not be able to select it.

- To get out of the menu press and hold DISPLAY button for 4-5 Seconds. Normal screens should appear and the radio controls are released. If that fails turn off the car and restart.

For those that don't know how the GPS override is done. This works for Gen 3 version 3.1

1. With car on, in PARK or fully stopped, press MENU.

2. Press DVD (upper right corner)

3. There are hidden buttons on this screen. Use the fat part of you index finger not the tip for best results. In order press

a. Upper Left Corner

b. Lower Left Corner

c. Upper Left Corner

d. Lower Left Corner

e. Lower Right Corner

4. You should now see a screen with 2 columns of 4 buttons. Locate the GPS button

5. Press and hold for 5 seconds. It will beep one and then turn green

6. Press the BACK button in upper right hand corner

7. Now you can use all the NAV functions while in motion. When you turn the car off the NAV will reset to normal and you will have to do this procedure again when you restart the car.

For Gen 4, version 4.2:

1. With car on, in PARK or fully stopped, press MENU.

2. Goto the menu that controls volume functions

3. There are hidden buttons on this screen. Use the fat part of you index finger not the tip for best results. In order press

a. Upper Left Corner

b. Lower Left Corner

c. Upper Left Corner

d. Lower Left Corner

4. You should now see a screen with 2 columns of 4 buttons. Locate the GPS button

5. Press and hold for 5 seconds. It will beep one and then turn green

6. Press the BACK button in upper right hand corner

7. Now you can use all the NAV functions while in motion. When you turn the car off the NAV will reset to normal and you will have to do this procedure again when you restart the car.

• Like 1

Here is a guide to help you figure out what Generation Nav you have, I do not have the Toyota info. Check the DVD version on your car to see what DVD version you have.

Gen 1 Hard Drive based

LS400.................98-2000

GS400................98-2000

GS300................98-2000

Gen 2 and 3 DVD based, 5.1 update disc P/N 00230-GEN23CY-05

LS430.................2001-2003

GS430................2001-2005

GS300................2001-2005

ES300/330..........2002-2003

RX300/330..........2001-2004

LX470.................2001-2003

IS300..................2002-2005

SC430................2002-2004

GX470................2003-2004

Gen 4 DVD based, 5.1 update disc P/N 00230-GEN4S-CY05 , Numbers on the DVD are: 86271-33045 & 464210-0660

LS430..................2004-2006

GS430.................2006

GS300.................2006

ES330.................2004-2006

RX330.................2005-2006

RX400h...............2006

LX470..................2004-2006

SC430.................2005 -2006

GX470.................2005-2006

Gen 5 DVD based

IS250/350 ..........2006

• Like 1

Hey there,

do you (or anyone else) know of a way to get the trouble codes for the RX 300's without navs? I used to be able to get the codes on my Dodge Dakota using a sequence of on-off switching of the ignition/key switch. I'm betting that there is a way to do it or the RX's its just I've yet to discover it. Thanks!

Like I said, I wouldn't touch anything that has "Memory" in it. The rest are fine. I messed with everything else with no problems. When I get back form vacation I'll take and post some pics that expalin it better. In the mean time, play with it but just don't hit anything with "Memory" in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I need some help:

I have tried all of the above, and I can get into the "secret menu" with no problem, BUT when I try to do the GPS override, I get nowhere. When I have pressed the upper left corner ... etc., and press the lower right corner, I get the coverage map of the various European countries. If I try the other way, nothing happens at all.

I don't know if this matters, but I have the RX300, 2004, w. ML sound system and navigation. The version is 2004-2005, ver. 2, for the European market.

TIA

Definately some groovy stuff in these menues, now if someone could just document what it all is?

BTW - Here is another (more easy) way of getting into the menues:

• Hold the info button in, and whilst doing so turn the lights from off to on (not auto) and back to off 4 times until a menu appears.

• Do it again from the same menu and another set of options appear.

To get out, press the Display button for a few seconds.

KB

lol what is with all of these secret menus...

A great thing about that secret menu with all the diagnostic stuff is that you can turn on the backup camera while your driving, makes you kind of dizzy but its always fun to see on the freeway

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone post a picture of the label of the generation 2 and 3, version 5.1 Nav update?

hi, i need some help. i went in the secret menu, and press the eng_tab. now i have my nav say "insert correct disc". do u have any way to fix this problem? plz let me know

thanks

Can anyone post a picture of the label of the generation 2 and 3, version 5.1 Nav update?

hi, i need some help. i went in the secret menu, and press the eng_tab. now i have my nav say "insert correct disc". do u have any way to fix this problem? plz let me know

thanks

Im just guessing here, but maybe you changed the default language and its looking for another country's DVD. perhaps try doing it again until it comes back to accept the CD you own :)

Mike

• 1 month later...

lol what is with all of these secret menus...

A great thing about that secret menu with all the diagnostic stuff is that you can turn on the backup camera while your driving, makes you kind of dizzy but its always fun to see on the freeway

Have you had luck turning the backup camera ON while you driving? If so, how to do that? Thanks!!

Yep. As RX330driver said, but the only thing I don't like is no radio while in DIAG mode. I don't see much use for it though since you have a rear view mirror.

Yep. As RX330driver said, but the only thing I don't like is no radio while in DIAG mode. I don't see much use for it though since you have a rear view mirror.

So can you view the camera while driving on the highway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...