Gas Savings?

Hey:

I heard a segment last year on NPR "Click and Clack-The Tappett Brothers" about how idling uses relatively little fuel and that frequently during the Ididerod in Alaska, they have spotters that sit in their idling cars for days without a refill. The original question was speaking of burning up an engine by leaving it idling too long.

A friend and I had a discussion about our 8 cylindar engines and how we both like to let them warm up for 5 minutes before driving first thing in the morning, assuming that it is better for the life of the engine. I just read some gas savings tips that said if idling in traffic greater than 1 minute to shut off the engine and restart it when the traffic gets moving. :blink:

There must be some fuel guys out there (God knows there are oil guys that frequent this site) so what's the verdict. Is the tradeoff of warming up the engine to extend the life vs not idling to save gas even an issue? I wouldn't even bring up the question if the price of gas hasn't been going up weekly (or more frequently than that). Thoughts?

Price of Gas :angry: (93 octane) in Cape Girardeau, MO just decreased to $2.89.9/gal. I know we have it better than some but must be some parts better off.

The majority of engine wear happens at startup, I would leave the car idling.

You also don't need to let the engine idle for 5 minutes, it will warm up faster if you just drive.

30 seconds is more than enough to warm the oil and make it get pressure to the heads to lube it.

Idling a car for extended periods will cause carbon ,as well as causing excessive wear from the oil pump not reaching higher rpms and lubing the whole assembly but the basic splash areas.

A really bad thing to idle more than needed.

30 seconds is more than enough to warm the oil and make it get pressure to the heads to lube it.

Idling a car for extended periods will cause carbon ,as well as causing excessive wear from the oil pump not reaching higher rpms and lubing the whole assembly but the basic splash areas.

A really bad thing to idle more than needed.

Good to know and now I feel better knowing this info. Another lunchtime conversation topic put to rest. Will have to find another. Have a great day. :D

i just have to say, $2.89 is nothing, i wish i see that,

the highest ive seen in san francisco is $3.63 for premium, grrrr

Nothing to who????

I remember a buddy who had relatives in england going to visit in the mid 80s. He said gas was in the mid $3.00 range as I recall. I rember saying that I would stop driving if gas EVER went up to $1.75. Aaah. The ignorance of youth. :lol:

In Theory it takes the same amount of gas to start a car as it does to idle for 8 minutes.

It would be interesting to see that research on eight minutes of idling fuel taking to start a modern fuel-injected car.

Start cycles (for non-hybrid engines), turn over at relatively low RPM, and require more fuel than idling to start... BUT, for idle times over 2-3 minutes, turning off the engine would probably save fuel (I will have to google this answer...)

This has to be weighed against safety issues of having a car turned off in traffic and having to move in a hurry: turn key, turn-over motor, fire motor, pull gear into "D", step on gas, get moving... it can take a couple seconds that in an emergency you might not have...

Hybrid cars turn off when idling, but start within half a second after depresssing the gas pedal, without having to be in "PARK". They rev at high RPM to start which is much more fuel efficient than low RPM non-hybrid motors.

I turn off my car for train crossings, stopped traffic for accidents, etc... where I know I'll be there for a couple minutes, and can't move the car in thick traffic anyway. I had a Honda Accord that had occasional poor hot start characteristics, but my Lexus has never failed to start in 130,000 miles.

i just have to say, $2.89 is nothing, i wish i see that,

the highest ive seen in san francisco is $3.63 for premium, grrrr

I know! LOL I wish gas here only cost $2.98