Washington D.c. Vacation

Lexusfreak

On May 6th, my wife & I will be taking a 2 week vacation to Washington D.C. Some of the places we will be visiting are..... The White House, Pentagon, Smithsonian, Arlington cemetery, the war memorials, Capital building, Washington Cathedral, International spy museum, National Mall, Washington Monument & Ford's Theatre.....

Does anyone have any additional suggestions for other 'must see' places to check out while were there? :)

We hope to meet up with Steve (SW) while we are there as well. B)

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:

lexusfreak- i was in dc last september and loved it! One thing I would try to do is tour the capitol building. Tickets are really cheap (maybe even free?) and its sooo cool inside there. If I were you I would also consider taking the metro up to Georgetown's campus. Its really pretty. Another suggestion I would make is to tour the Library of Congress, which is near the capitol bldg. It's beautiful in there. And I assume you will go the lincoln memorial as well, its right next to the vietnam veterans memorial. Here's a couple of pics. Sorry they're so big, i can't figure out how to make them smaller.

Georgetown:

post-13068-1146633551_thumb.jpg

Library of Congress:

post-13068-1146633641_thumb.jpg

Capitol Rotunda (looking up)

post-13068-1146633693_thumb.jpg

You are also very close to Annopolis and the Naval Academy. I went there one trip back east and was astounded with the history and museum as well as the campus. I had no idea that John Paul Jones was buried there and that he was also an admiral of the Russian Navy as well as buried originally in France. He is entombed in the Chapel on base which is truely beautiful. The whole campus is just very interesting. IN the town, there are some great touristy restaurants around the harbor. Very pretty and the kind of thing the wife would like.

Awesome pics 98es! :D Much appreciated. B) My wife & I are pretty excited about the trip......got a suprise for you guy's too........but can't tell anyone until Thursday lol. :whistles:

As long as you hit the Smithsonian then you are good. Make sure to visit the museum of natural history ( i think it is called that) It is my favorite of all of them.

Get a map before hand and most GPS mapping software does not have the DC area mapped properly ,i guess for some weird security reasons.

If you have time i would also drive an hour and go to inner harbour , they have some great seafood and a really nice aquarium ( a Little expensive).

Have fun , especially if you buy a new car.

As long as you hit the Smithsonian then you are good. Make sure to visit the museum of natural history ( i think it is called that) It is my favorite of all of them.

Get a map before hand and most GPS mapping software does not have the DC area mapped properly ,i guess for some weird security reasons.

If you have time i would also drive an hour and go to inner harbour , they have some great seafood and a really nice aquarium ( a Little expensive).

Have fun , especially if you buy a new car.

Appreciated, thanks SK! :)

On May 6th, my wife & I will be taking a 2 week vacation to Washington D.C. Some of the places we will be visiting are..... The White House, Pentagon, Smithsonian, Arlington cemetery, the war memorials, Capital building, Washington Cathedral, International spy museum, National Mall, Washington Monument & Ford's Theatre.....

Does anyone have any additional suggestions for other 'must see' places to check out while were there? :)

Thanks in advance.

swing by Watertown NY if you are driving and say hi for a min, it is on your way by road. :) you can see the house and have dinner maybe.

Thanks in advance.

swing by Watertown NY if you are driving and say hi for a min, it is on your way by road. :) you can see the house and have dinner maybe.

I appreciate the invite Josh....thanks! ;) I will see what I can do. :)

As far as GPS goes, the nav in our cars works perfectly in DC. Never an error.

Anywho, I think your list is a good one. Since you're going to be staying in VA, you might want to head out to Dulles airport and see the new annex of the Air and Space Museum, they have a space shuttle, the Concorde, etc in there. The Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian is fun too.

One thing you'll like is the fact that our museums are free.

You would also enjoy the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Plenty of good seafood places to eat like SK said, we go up several times a season. My dad has a 41' sailboat and we sail in there too and dock for a few days. There's good seafood in DC too though. Annapolis is also nice and you can park and shop along the waterfront and have a really nice meal/watch the boats.

If you like to shop you'll be right there at Tysons Corner, there are two malls. Big malls. If you want a really nice meal while you're there you can eat at the Palm, a chain but a good one.

You'll have fun, its a great city and its interesting to walk around so much history and see how the commercial area of the city has grown out of it. If you get the chance, take a guided tour of the city on one of those sightseeing busses, they're really interesting. There are also Segway tours.

Thats something you should do if you want a really nice dinner/dancing is the Odyssey dinner cruise.

http://www.odysseycruises.com/

Not cheap, but if you go on a weekday its cheaper. You get great views of all the monuments at night, the boat has a glass ceiling in the dining area and a big wraparound deck outside.

Another really romantic place to eat is JW's at the Key bridge Mariott. The food isn't terriffic, but its not that expensive and there are great views of all the monuments and the Kennedy Center. They on;y serve Friday and Saturday nights. You can book reservations there and everywhere in DC at www.opentable.com

I appreciate the invite Josh....thanks! I will see what I can do.

yes, and both of you can go around finding that cat! :cheers:

LMAO! :lol: No other way I'd rather spend my vacation! :blink:

As far as GPS goes, the nav in our cars works perfectly in DC. Never an error.

Anywho, I think your list is a good one. Since you're going to be staying in VA, you might want to head out to Dulles airport and see the new annex of the Air and Space Museum, they have a space shuttle, the Concorde, etc in there. The Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian is fun too.

One thing you'll like is the fact that our museums are free.

You would also enjoy the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Plenty of good seafood places to eat like SK said, we go up several times a season. My dad has a 41' sailboat and we sail in there too and dock for a few days. There's good seafood in DC too though. Annapolis is also nice and you can park and shop along the waterfront and have a really nice meal/watch the boats.

If you like to shop you'll be right there at Tysons Corner, there are two malls. Big malls. If you want a really nice meal while you're there you can eat at the Palm, a chain but a good one.

You'll have fun, its a great city and its interesting to walk around so much history and see how the commercial area of the city has grown out of it. If you get the chance, take a guided tour of the city on one of those sightseeing busses, they're really interesting. There are also Segway tours.

Thats something you should do if you want a really nice dinner/dancing is the Odyssey dinner cruise.

http://www.odysseycruises.com/

Not cheap, but if you go on a weekday its cheaper. You get great views of all the monuments at night, the boat has a glass ceiling in the dining area and a big wraparound deck outside.

Another really romantic place to eat is JW's at the Key bridge Mariott. The food isn't terriffic, but its not that expensive and there are great views of all the monuments and the Kennedy Center. They on;y serve Friday and Saturday nights. You can book reservations there and everywhere in DC at www.opentable.com

That's awesome Steve! B) I will go over these places with my wife before we leave. Really looking forward to the trip. :)

Of course, meeting me will be the highlight lol ;)

Bring the Lexus, then we'll REALLY see who'se tires are quieter HAHAHA

I'm sure meeting you will be right up there bud. ;)

lol, well bring the Lexus........there in lies the problem..... :whistles: :blink:

I'll order the advanced decibel reading systems lol

We'll put this to rest for good! ;)

I'd still win :lol: but that test won't be possible I'm afraid.... :whistles: ;)

Definately come visit all the malls out near Tysons Corner, there's also a lot of good places to stay and shop around there. As for food, I'd recommend my dad's resturant... Colonel Brooks Tavern/ Island Jim's Tiki Bar right across the street from Catholic University/ the Brookland Metro, literally a 5-10 minute walk. :) Also, McLean Pizza is a really good resturant, right in the middle of McLean.

I'm sure you'll see my ES250 driving around somewhere, since I'm always out, either around the Tysons area or in NW DC.

Definately come visit all the malls out near Tysons Corner, there's also a lot of good places to stay and shop around there. As for food, I'd recommend my dad's resturant... Colonel Brooks Tavern/ Island Jim's Tiki Bar right across the street from Catholic University/ the Brookland Metro, literally a 5-10 minute walk. :) Also, McLean Pizza is a really good resturant, right in the middle of McLean.

I'm sure you'll see my ES250 driving around somewhere, since I'm always out, either around the Tysons area or in NW DC.

I think we will check out those restaurants 91L....thanks! B)