Spark Plug Gap

i went to have my plugs and wires changed and the mechanic told me that for my car the plugs dont have to be gapped because they are pre-gapped i told him hold on and then i called a friend who said no way! i ended up just waiting till i consult with the people who know my car best! can one of you playas help me on this one. :cries:

Mechanic is right IF (and that's a big IF), you buy genuine Toyota PQ20R spark plugs from a Toyota or Lexus dealer. They are cheaply priced at 1sttoyotaparts.com. If you order from 1sttoyotaparts.com or your neighborhood Toyota dealer, just tell the salesperson you have a '93 Camry V6 and want Toyota part# 90919-01127 spark plugs

You can also order genuine Toyota spark plug wires cheaply at 1sttoyotaparts.com for your '93 3VZ-FE V6. They are Toyota part#90919-21519. The distributor cap part# is 19101-62050 and the distributor rotor part# is19102-62030. Your mechanic likely only carrys Ford and Chevy quality aftermarket parts. If that's all you want then let the mechanic use his parts. If you let the mechanic use his own parts you may notice engine power seems softer and mushier than before and fuel economy is off a bit.

Most laser platinum & Iridium plugs come already 'pre-gapped' so your mechanic was correct. B) All one has to do is use one of those gap tools mechanics have to prove it. B)

:cheers:

Most laser platinum & Iridium plugs come already 'pre-gapped' so your mechanic was correct. B) All one has to do is use one of those gap tools mechanics have to prove it. B)

:cheers:

Sparkplug gaping only work on non-Iridium spark plugs (gapped at manufacture). At least when I got my Denso ones they were warnings all over not to gap them since you will break the tips.

I get my plugs from sparkplugs.com. The Lexus/Toyota online places are too high for these items.

Some plugs come pre-gapped. Both NGK & Denso sell pre-gapped plugs for the engine, in every model of plug they sell. They also sell un-gapped plugs that are at the "traditional" .44 plug gap.

All of the plugs that are refferanced to the specific engine *are* pre-gapped. If you look your car up, you'll get returned the right plug with a pre-gap.

pre-gapped or not, I always check them. You never know what happened in the store room, in transit or with the initial gapping.

I don't trust blind faith and it only takes a second to check.

steviej

About the plugs - what BRAND (aside from Toyota - is it NGK by the way?) is good for our Lexus?

pre-gapped or not, I always check them. You never know what happened in the store room, in transit or with the initial gapping.

I don't trust blind faith and it only takes a second to check.

steviej

Right on, Steve!

• 4 months later...