Door Hinge Align/replace

I have popping when I open the drivers door where the door edge hits the quarter panel. You can feel some play in the door when you lift the end. Given the play I don't know if this can re re-aligned. Some one talked about using shiims. Can this be tightened or if not, how hard is it to replace the door hinge?

The door is really heavy, any insight before I wear all the paint off the quarter panel, the sound of the pop is rather disconcerting.

My drivers door hinge is worn to the point that the leading edge of the door does not come flush with the front fender. There was a DIY for replacing the bushings in the door hinge on one of the Ausy sites as they do not have this model Lexus in Australia, they have become very creative in working with what they have.

The other options is to purchase a new hinge, as I did, from Carson Toyota (cheapest place I found).

The problem with replacing the hinge is first having it color painted to the car, then the wiring harness for the door electrics pass through the hinge. So, the door panel has to be removed, remove all the wiring, change the hinge, reroute the wiring, etc..

The SC hinge is probably one of the most elaborate hinges I have ever seen. The SC doors are very heavy and with an articulated hinge, that not only opens the door but also moves it out and away from the body. This is probably from the American Design Studio's (California Designed) perception that all Americans are big and overweight.

Sounds like a lot of work, did you do it yourself? Any problem with alignment with the new hinge?

I get all my parts from Carson Toyota as well.

I took the short term fix of spraying with WD 40, don't know how long that will last. This may be more of a project than I thought, particularly liniing up the door. Any tips if I try this myself?

Right now I spray the hinge with WD 40 every 2 weeks, it is working.

My drivers door hinge is worn to the point that the leading edge of the door does not come flush with the front fender. There was a DIY for replacing the bushings in the door hinge on one of the Ausy sites as they do not have this model Lexus in Australia, they have become very creative in working with what they have.

The other options is to purchase a new hinge, as I did, from Carson Toyota (cheapest place I found).

The problem with replacing the hinge is first having it color painted to the car, then the wiring harness for the door electrics pass through the hinge. So, the door panel has to be removed, remove all the wiring, change the hinge, reroute the wiring, etc..

The SC hinge is probably one of the most elaborate hinges I have ever seen. The SC doors are very heavy and with an articulated hinge, that not only opens the door but also moves it out and away from the body. This is probably from the American Design Studio's (California Designed) perception that all Americans are big and overweight.

I rebuilt a used driver's side door hinge and installed it last week. I found it easier to disconnect the wiring from the kick panel area. There are three plug to remove. The door panel is a lot more work.

I have popping when I open the drivers door where the door edge hits the quarter panel. You can feel some play in the door when you lift the end. Given the play I don't know if this can re re-aligned. Some one talked about using shiims. Can this be tightened or if not, how hard is it to replace the door hinge?

The door is really heavy, any insight before I wear all the paint off the quarter panel, the sound of the pop is rather disconcerting.

I had the same problem but I was lucky... a buddy of mine had a pair of hinges and sold them to me for $200 a piece color matched and installed.