92 Es300 Stumbles, Misfires When Warm

Hello Everyone,

While driving home yesterday, car started to shake and stumbles during acceleration and during idel. It feels like it's misfiring. A couple weeks ago, I replace air filter and cleaned the throttle body. I also cleaned the large rubber hose that connects the MAF to the TB along with the smaller hoses. While cleaning them I noticed they were pretty worn and torn around the lip area where it goes over the TB. The smaller hose that connects to the outside bank of cylinders closest to the radiator was also torn a little bit. I taped both of them up. I did notice also that there's some oil that is coming out of the small hose from that cylinder bank. I'm not sure if that's normal. I cleaned it up before putting back.

Car was running beautifully from that time till yesterday. I checked the car again this morning and still stumbles and misfires.

I checked the OBD by connecting the TE1 and E1 from the data link connector under the dash. The CEL just continued to flash rapidly without a pause. I'm not sure what that means. I don't think it's spitting out codes.

I would appreciate some help, especially reading the OBD code. Thanks in advance.

start with the easy stuff... replace the spark plugs, check the plug wire connections, double check everything that you touched the last time you were under the hood.

a flashing CEL means it's misfiring (obviously... from the sputterin and stutterin).

GL

Thanks Toys. Glad to see you're still around. What do you call that large rubber hose that connects the TB to the MAF anyway. I've been looking for the part but don't know what to look for. Is it "breather hose"? Does it come with the 2 smaller rubber side hoses too? Do you have an online part place you can recommend?

A constantly flashing CEL when in diagnostic mode means that everything TOK's.

Replace the air hose. You have a vacuum leak.

pffft. Yall got me what the "actual" name is.

I call it the "main air hose", "tb to AFM hose", "that damn thing that's always splitting, but only causes a problem at an inoppertune time", and "air intake hose".

The "breather hose" is the smaller hose running from the front valve cover breather to the "main air hose".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-ES300...sspagenameZWD1V

Right this second seems to be the only one on ebay for ES/Camry. Oddly... Normally there are like 3-4 on for each kind of pipe/engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Toys, I replaced the air intake hose plus the spark plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and the mass air flow meter. Still misfires as before. No change. I'm stumped. Any ideas, anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

pffft. Yall got me what the "actual" name is.

I call it the "main air hose", "tb to AFM hose", "that damn thing that's always splitting, but only causes a problem at an inoppertune time", and "air intake hose".

The "breather hose" is the smaller hose running from the front valve cover breather to the "main air hose".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS-ES300...sspagenameZWD1V

Right this second seems to be the only one on ebay for ES/Camry. Oddly... Normally there are like 3-4 on for each kind of pipe/engine.

Change your pcv latley ?

How much oil do you have?

I forgot to mention, I also changed the PCV. I also just changed my oil and filter about a month ago, Mobil 1.

Is there a knock sensor on this model? I replaced a knock sensor on my dad's Maxima not too long ago that had the same symptom.

can the car rev freely in neutral and in gear?

Details.

The car revs freely in idle as well as all gears. When first started and cold, it's on high idle and the misfire is not quite as noticeable. When the idle settles down, the misfire is more prominent. It's you're typical misfire symptoms - sputters and chugs with smell of unburned gas coming out of the exhaust. It holds the idle okay. When I rev it up, it revs okay but with the sputter.

I checked the code and the check engine light continues to flash constantly, indicating no code. It's not detecting any fault - really weird.

Just wanted give some update. I took the car to my local repair shop. He diagnosed a bad fuel injector. One of the things I thought of but did not have the tools to check it. Anyway, he replaced the injector and the plenum gasket and now all is well.