Sunroof Won't Close

I have a '98 GS 400 and have been having intermitant problems with my sunroof.

When I close it it pops back to half way open.

I've done it several times and eventually it stayed closed.

The dealer (without looking at it) says it's the motor......read $978.00 plus install.

Anyone run up against this and have any suggestions on diagnosis ?

thanks in advance

Dukabor

I'm fairly sure it has an anti-pinch system. Try just oiling the exposed gears (from the top) and making sure there isnt anything jammed in there. My guess is that the roof thinks there is something in the way..

There is a TSB on the sunroof motor of certain cars depending on the VIN. The dealer may be right. Check your VIN against those in the attached .pdf.

The motor MSRP is $521.30 USD and available for $443.11 USD here.

Alternatively, you may find a used motor bearing the updated production date indicated in the TSB.

The motor can usually be accessed by removing the interior light roof console. The replacement must be installed in the same operational position as the original. i.e. If the roof is closed when the motor is removed the replacement motor must be run to the closed position before attaching it to the roof assembly. The shaft may or may not be keyed as to allow the motor only to be installed in this correct position.

Sunroof_TSB.pdf

Have you tried turning the key cylinder in the door to lock and holding it there?

Does the sunroof also go from fully open to ,tilted up without stopping then?

Thanks Guys,

My gut feeling was the sensor thinking it is being blocked also.

I haven't had time to deal with it yet.......

I will post the results once I've had a better look at it.

I got it closed and we now have rain in the forcast for the week so I don't expect to get at it rigt away.

Dudabor.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried turning the key cylinder in the door to lock and holding it there?

Does the sunroof also go from fully open to ,tilted up without stopping then?

Thanks Guys,

My gut feeling was the sensor thinking it is being blocked also.

I haven't had time to deal with it yet.......

I will post the results once I've had a better look at it.

I got it closed and we now have rain in the forcast for the week so I don't expect to get at it rigt away.

Dudabor.

Well GUY was RIGHT !!!

I'll bet he gets sick of hearing that !!!!!

There are no adjustments for the motor.

It is an outright replacement.

If it wasn't reported while within warranty......you are SOL.

Unfortunately in Canada it reads $978.00 for the part and another $450 labour.

Not a single wrecker has one.

I'll be ordering mine on line from the supplied link.

By far the lowest price.

Thanks again for all your help.

This site is the best thing about owning a lexus.....well next to coming into work @220kmph !!!

Dukabor.

Well GUY was RIGHT !!!

I'll bet he gets sick of hearing that !!!!!

There are no adjustments for the motor.

It is an outright replacement.

If it wasn't reported while within warranty......you are SOL.

Unfortunately in Canada it reads $978.00 for the part and another $450 labour.

Not a single wrecker has one.

I'll be ordering mine on line from the supplied link.

By far the lowest price.

Thanks again for all your help.

This site is the best thing about owning a lexus.....well next to coming into work @220kmph !!!

Dukabor.

Oh, my ears hurt! No really, I'm just happy to help.

• 2 years later...

Guy Telefunken's answer, apparently addressed a 1998 model with this sunrrof problem. My 1999 LS400 just started having the same problem with the tilt, opened OK, but to close would close and immediately reverse and open again. Since the problem addressed 1998 and before motors, did the problem still exist for 99's? I have recently changed both car battery and key battery. Is this a possible cause of my problem? Lexus Tech's response was I need a new roof motor...$778...charge to just close the roof: $68.

Help!

Guy Telefunken's answer, apparently addressed a 1998 model with this sunrrof problem. My 1999 LS400 just started having the same problem with the tilt, opened OK, but to close would close and immediately reverse and open again. Since the problem addressed 1998 and before motors, did the problem still exist for 99's? I have recently changed both car battery and key battery. Is this a possible cause of my problem? Lexus Tech's response was I need a new roof motor...$778...charge to just close the roof: $68.

Help!

well according to the pdf he attached it says

"Affected Vehicles

^ 1998 Model Year LS 400s produced before VIN JT8BH28F * W0114934 GS 300s produced before VIN JT8BD68S * WOOl 3743 GS 400sproduced before VIN JT8BH68X * W0005159"

i would think no...since its a 99 it might just be a motor going dead or starting to die... u might try sewell or carson lexus and see what they will quote you (they do give us discounts)

or you could try a salavage yard.... heres some

http://www.junk-yards.net/lexus.htm

http://www.usedpartslive.com/live/1/year/LEXUS/

or even try ebay.

happy hunting and let us know what you find

p.s. you been a member a LONG time, were you just not active? glad you unlike most newer people actually search around for older posts without cluttering the forum and making new ones!

• 4 years later...