Noise When The Car Is Making Tight Turns

I have a IS350 with the premium package with the 18" rims. When I make tight turns or make a u-turn, I hear and kind of feel a grinding noise in the front. It sounds like the road or something grainy. Is this normal? Has anybody experienced this? Thank you very much.

I have a IS350 with the premium package with the 18" rims. When I make tight turns or make a u-turn, I hear and kind of feel a grinding noise in the front. It sounds like the road or something grainy. Is this normal? Has anybody experienced this? Thank you very much.

I heard it too, I took it to lexus, actually 2 lexus dealerships and they told me the tires are wide and they rub aggainst the car. probably B.S., b/c i too only hear it on the right

-omad

If you ever notice that the turning radius on this car is very small. What you may be hearing is the tire rubbing against the road surface. The profile of the tire does not help either. There is very minimal sidewal/air to absorb noise. I too have the 18in wheel pkg. I'll keep an ear out also.

If you ever notice that the turning radius on this car is very small. What you may be hearing is the tire rubbing against the road surface. The profile of the tire does not help either. There is very minimal sidewal/air to absorb noise. I too have the 18in wheel pkg. I'll keep an ear out also.

Yeah. That's what I think too, but I wasn't too sure if it happens to my car only or other cars too. I was going to go out to the dealer to test drive another car to see if it made the same noise. :) Thanks.

You folks with the IS250 and 18" Wheels....

Is it safe to assume you all have RWD drive models?

According to Lexus, the 18" Wheels are only available on RWD models.

I assumed that this was due to clearance issues with the AWD model.

Any of you guys running 18s on an AWD model?

The guy that started this thread says he has a 350.

• 4 months later...

Yes, I am running 18 inch on 2007 IS250AWD and doing great! See photo attached.

post-30255-1160025584_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

We have a 07 IS250 RWD with 18 inch wheels and at right or left max turning radius we get a clunking or jerking sensation from the front end. I took it in for the 5k oil change and service and asked the Fresno Lexus dealer to have the techs look at this problem. They told me that when they had it up on the lift they checked everthing out and all was as everything was suppose to be. They said they took another IS250 from the lot and drove it around and it did the same thing so it is alright. I just can't believe and engineer would design a steering system to do this.

I am interested in getting 18's for my AWD - Anyone have suggestions?? Although I like the chrome I would rather not get them because I use my car for work purposes as well. So a machine faced might be a good option. I'd also like to keep the price reasonable due to the extra $500 for the TPM sensors.

Thanks!

I am interested in getting 18's for my AWD - Anyone have suggestions?? Although I like the chrome I would rather not get them because I use my car for work purposes as well. So a machine faced might be a good option. I'd also like to keep the price reasonable due to the extra $500 for the TPM sensors.

Thanks!

I went to Tirerack.com and went through the tire/wheel package section and found that they do offer 18" wheels for the IS250 AWD.

Plus, lex250awd has an AWD and he's running 18"s

So yeah, they'll fit, but I have no idea why Lexus doesn't offer them.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry about reviving this old thread, but I am having the same issue. Did anyone get it resolved through Lexus?

No, but I have the same issue as well. I imagine it's only one of many design flaws that are causing me to go through sets of tires like disposable napkins.

• 9 years later...

Hello,

i just purchased an 06 Lexus IS250 AWD w/136k miles on it, and today while making a u-turn at about 25-30 mph it made that grinding noice.

Another instance where I experienced something similar was while driving a 2015 Nissan Frontier on 4x4, it would make some kind of grinding noise//slipping feeling while making turns.. as if the wheels were sliding on ice.

Last time I experienced something like this was on a 04 Toyota Corolla S when moving forward from a stop, it would make a grinding noise too. On the corolla it tuned out to be bad engine mounts; after replacing them with OEM mounts, the grinding noice was gone.

If you find out what the issue is, please update this thread.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...
On 5/5/2006 at 5:37 AM, Scott M said:

I have a 2010 is 250 f sport AWD and my car does it too in the front when I am turning to park or something. It makes like this grinding noise and feeling. I get that everyone says its because the tires are  big or whatever but is it going to cause any damage or is there a recall policy or something for lexus to fix. #lost