I've Got The Key Blanks-is A Laser Cut This Expensive?

FreddT

So I took the original remote key to my nearest locksmith, and he wants $65 to cut my blank. Non-remote, of course. Think this is an OK price??

Thanks. '94 ls400.

I bought a blank key online for a `99 ls400 and the local locksmith cut it for me for $65. He didn`t want to cut my keywanted to sell me his, saying if he messes my up, he doesn`t want to be responsible. I took chances saying and he did fine. He said it is expensive because the sidewinder machine is $21000 and most locksmiths dont have it. The dealer charges even more as far as I know and then you have to have a dealer to program the transponder anyway.

So I took the original remote key to my nearest locksmith, and he wants $65 to cut my blank. Non-remote, of course. Think this is an OK price??

Thanks. '94 ls400.

I didn't know a locksmith could cut a key that would work. I thought all the keys had a program chip installed. I just got a master key from the dealer for $270.00. I believe a regular key without the Lock/Unlock feature costs $135.00 at the dealership.

Thanks. '94 ls400.

I paid ~$50 to have a key cut once at a locksmith's, so I guess $65 isn't too out of line. Since you are dealing with a nonremote key, why not order one from Sewell? http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=91

• 5 months later...

I actually quit cutting keys for people that didn't buy them from us.The problem I was having was the Lexus keys people are getting now are original keys that have been filled so you can recut them.I had a couple get caught in our machine(a 10 year old machine that cost $8000.00 then) and bend and I had to get them a new one from Lexus to replace it.I used to charge $25.00 a key.

my local dealer refused to cut my genuine remote keys (still in packaging with toyota parts label) and claimed that cutting aftermarket keys would do damage to the tooling on their machine. funny part is that i ordered them from our family's body shop, but i didnt have the vin # handy so they didnt come pre-cut for the vehicle.

went down the street and had them cut for $10 by a locksmith, done in about 5 minutes.