Tire Wear

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So ... I got my sweet new 400h back in July and so far I couldn't be happier. :)

I'm the one who lives in serious snow country so I took my new sweetie into my local tire dealer and bought her four brand new and expensive Michelin Latitude X Ice Radials with four A - 7 Sport Edition Aluminum Wheels to boot and I had them mounted day before yesterday. My tire guy told me that he "took care of the sensor problem" for me so off I went, happy as could be. Yesterday I drove into Reno and back (about a hundred miles) and then about ten miles from home all hell broke loose on my dashboard. Exclamation points and warning lights all over the place - scared me half to death! I pulled over, called the dealership and got a salesperson (it was after hours) who informed me that the tires "might blow off" and that I should get the car into the dealership ASAP.

Today is Sunday; tomorow I'll call the dealership and try to find out how on earth I'm supposed to get the car back into Reno without having the tires blow off. :blink:

Has anybody else here put their snow tires on yet? Did you have them do a special alignment afterwards? Did the sensor go on? Did your tires blow off? Does anybody remember where that link to a special alignment for a 400h is?

Monday morning Post Script:

I just now read something about aftermarket lug nuts. Does it take the equivalent of rocket science to put and keep good tires on these cars? <_<

Its difficult to tell from your description what is going on. You are aware that the 400h does not have any sensors in the wheels, right? So, what exactly was the warning message on the dash? Was there any vibration or odd handling that you notice? What size are the tires?

There is a specific feature on the OEM rims that you may have trouble finding on aftermarket rims. You need to be sure the lug bolts will not be carring the weight of the car. They should only be holding the rim onto the hub, there should be a large diameter boss on the hub that fits into the center hole in the rim with a snug fit, not a loose fit. If you see a gap, that's bad.

Hi Everyone. I have worked at Tire Kingdom for about 6 months and am now getting promoted to manager there, so let me let you all know how it is. It is VERY possible to wear through tires in 10k miles, depending on how you drive, what roads you're on, the psi you run them at, how good your alignment is, and also how often you rotate. You should rotate them about every 6k miles, by the way. Another thing is the speed rating on the tires. The higher the speed rating, the softer the rubber...so the faster they will wear out. Get an H-rated tire and you can expect 40k from them on with decent care. Z-rated you're lucky to go 25k.

Anyway, as far as brands go:

Goodyear is crap, Michelin is overrated crap, Fuzion is hot-crap, Dunlop is supercrap...so on and so forth. Go with a Sonar(Pirelli), Yokohama, Uniroyal (for trucks), or Fulda and you should be good to go with a good warranty. Sumitomos are okay as well, but I prefer Sonars myself. My ride feels brand new after putting some 225/45/17 Sonars on the rear recently. Anyway, hope I've been helpful. Ya'll ride safe and keep your psi around 35 for good traction and wear.

Uh, no offense, but Goodyears and Michelins have been receiving accolades for many years now. Various models of each brand consistently end up at the top of performance reviews, whether they be in Car & Driver or Consumer Reports. OEM tires are quite often NOT the best choice, but that certainly doesn't mean ALL of that manufacturer's tires are "crap".

I used to work at Uriroyal's world headquarters and have kept up with tire performance fairly well throughout the years.

Dave

Just replaced our stock Michelin's at 36K, with the Alenzas. Hopefully they last longer. So far the response is better but maybe slightly more road noise. Nothing too concerning. Thanks for all of the suggestions in this thread.

• 5 months later...
I was told Monday by my tire dealer that he couldn't balance one of my Goodyear tires which had been on the front and the other front tire was badly worn also. Both had insides worn badly. I had had them all balanced at 500 miles (shortly after getting the car) and was rotating and balancing at 5K intervals... Now at 14,800 I'm told two are definitely BAD :censored: ! My friendly dealer service manager at Park Place Lexus here in Dallas has informed me that was "about right." He approves replacement all the time for their loaner RX SUVs at about 15,000... 'that's all they last'! I had been appalled when I purchased the car when they said the 'high performance tires' would only last about 25K! Now, the service manager has downward revised expectations to 15K :angry: ! He has offered to align the wheels after I get new tires! :rolleyes: I firmly believe the alignment was wrong at the outset! I had purchased the road hazard and lifetime rotate and balance from the tire dealer just for protection since they were such expensive tires! Now, that appears to have been wasted since that didn't cover BAD ALIGNMENT!

After checking around for tires, I can roll out with a set of Michelins for about $942 (includes TT, lifetime spin bal, etc) but they have NO Mileage warranty. On the other hand, a set of Bridgestones would cost about $890 (including same) BUT have a 65,000 Mileage Warranty! Matter of fact, Bridgestone was the ONLY manufacturer with any Mileage Warranty.

I went through a similar experience with my LS400 and feel like Lexus QC was lacking with 'alignment checking'!

How many miles did you get out of Bridgestone tires ? My Goodyear tires only gave 20k. We need new set and reaserching around.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you get the post today about my positive outcome in premature tire wear on my RX400h. Sure was different than the others on this thread on tire wear. I am very happy with my no cost Michelin tire replacement at the local Lexus dealer. Am I overly persuasive? Sure is not my good looks!

Palm Desert, CA

• 3 weeks later...

I had about to change more tires on my RX400h than any other vehicle I ever owned.

I recently purchased a new set of Michelin Tires. I have a lifetime wheel balance and rotation.

Firestone offers a lifetime alignment for $150.

Now I will see if they will last longer.

Trying to use the dealer a whole lot less.

alright well time for my input on this subject... It all started about 2 weeks ago when i was driving to work in the pouring rain and almost crashed after hydroplaning on the stock Michilens.. in my opinion they are complete garbage in the snow/rain and drive more like $50 Firestone tires. I swapped mine out for Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires this weekend, and I couldn't be happier. These things are amazing! Ten times better feel than stock tires. Much more feedback on the road and the steering isn't as vague now. Much stiffer ride than stock, the lexus actually drives like an SUV now, not a Cadillac anymore. I could actually take the stock Michilens and bend them all the way in half which is absolutely unacceptable for a tire. They do weigh a ton less than the Pirellis but im much more concerned about my safety than getting .5 mpg better. By the way, I went with 255/55/18 (only $151 a piece from tire rack). The dry grip is amazing, I can actually corner now without worry about my RX tipping over. Drove them in the rain this morning and was extremely pleased so say the least, 80mph, no problem in pouring rain, wasn't afraid to take a corner at 15 mph over the speed limit either in the pouring rain. These tires instilled actual CONFIDENCE in me!!! who would have ever thought you would feel that way cornering in your RX?? I was always worried about rolling the RX. I give these tires a 9.0 / 10, check out the tire rack ratings (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Ice+%26+Snow&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=555HR8SCORISXLV2&fromCompare1=yes&place=53)

-Brett

Congrats on your Michelins. I used the spare in rotation so i did get 34,000 out of the goodyears with the spare still in good shape. The four tires with the most mileage were looking pretty bad and actually my girlfriend refused to ride in the car untill i go new ones last weekend. $889.00 mounted and balanced with nitrogen from costco. The Michelins are much better tires and on my first tank i am getting 2 to 3 mpg better gas mileage than with the old tires ( at 36 psi) , probably should have done the replacement sooner. I am still a Lexus fan however i think the Goodyear tire issue is a dirty deal for those of us who didnt get OEM Michelins. Even Ford stepped up and replaced every Firestone on thier Exploders a few years ago. The 235 55 R18 MXV4 S8 Energy seem to roll faster and longer during coasting and grip the road well in wet weather.

neon im not dissing your post, i was responding to the one before yours. i do like the way the scorpions look, my friend has them on his X5. I think you do drive more agressively and need the added performance of the pirellis. I dont think the Michelins are the best in the world, they are better than the goodyears, (what isnt) and they are made for mpg so i thot i would stick with them. Also costco will only put OEM products on cars for replacement, so i went the easy route.

My 2006 400h needs new tires. It will be the 5th time they have been replaced since we bought it brand new. The first time we took it in they had the car for 6 weeks. It was at 19,000 miles on it and they said the tires were bald because of an alignment issue. 3 weeks later I noticed the car was pulling to the right and so I took it in and they said it needed new tires and they "fixed" the alignment and replaced the tires. 1 month after that I noticed the front tires were completely bald. I took it in, they said it was an alignment issue and replaced the front tires. About 3 months after that, the car was still pulling to the right, I took it in, they replaced the front two tires. Now, my tires are again bald and pulling to the right. So far, this has cost me about $1500 (not to mention my $300 pen that was stolen from the car the first time it was in).

Does anyone want to buy my car?

I strongly suggest that you take your car elsewhere. After having an alignment at 18,000 miles, our RX now has 32,000 and our Bridgestone Alenzas barely show any wear.

• 4 weeks later...
I was told Monday by my tire dealer that he couldn't balance one of my Goodyear tires which had been on the front and the other front tire was badly worn also. Both had insides worn badly. I had had them all balanced at 500 miles (shortly after getting the car) and was rotating and balancing at 5K intervals... Now at 14,800 I'm told two are definitely BAD :censored: ! My friendly dealer service manager at Park Place Lexus here in Dallas has informed me that was "about right." He approves replacement all the time for their loaner RX SUVs at about 15,000... 'that's all they last'! I had been appalled when I purchased the car when they said the 'high performance tires' would only last about 25K! Now, the service manager has downward revised expectations to 15K :angry: ! He has offered to align the wheels after I get new tires! :rolleyes: I firmly believe the alignment was wrong at the outset! I had purchased the road hazard and lifetime rotate and balance from the tire dealer just for protection since they were such expensive tires! Now, that appears to have been wasted since that didn't cover BAD ALIGNMENT!

After checking around for tires, I can roll out with a set of Michelins for about $942 (includes TT, lifetime spin bal, etc) but they have NO Mileage warranty. On the other hand, a set of Bridgestones would cost about $890 (including same) BUT have a 65,000 Mileage Warranty! Matter of fact, Bridgestone was the ONLY manufacturer with any Mileage Warranty.

I went through a similar experience with my LS400 and feel like Lexus QC was lacking with 'alignment checking'!

How many miles did you get out of Bridgestone tires ? My Goodyear tires only gave 20k. We need new set and reaserching around.

My apology and regrets... I've been out of pocket with my forum checking... this reply comes almose 2 months late!! Aghhh

I got our Bridgestone's at ~15,000 and have as of today ~40,000 ... I'm very happy to say that the 25,000 miles on them are barely visible. This coming week I will have them rotated and balanced as I have done every 5K! I will have Lexus do 40K maintenance (except no tire rotation or oil/filter change). I'm not sure what that maintenance will be with my handling oil/filter and tire service. I have put these 25,000 miles on in almost exactly 2 years and am still very pleased.

• 2 months later...

Hanc77, I am with you in wanting to ditch the RX400h. I too have had pulling, premature realignment & all new tires which I had to pay for out of pocket. The tire & alignment issues along with a new transmission, a new camshaft seal & new rotars & pads (I told the local service department that I wasn't coming to pick up the vehicle until they figured out why my car squeaked so bad. They insisted nothing was wrong with it & then they apparently accessed some Lexus database where it was disclosed that the rotars & pads weren't compatible) makes me want to scream! :angry: My spouse & I have owned 17 vehicles & we have never had similar problems with alignment, tires & the other issues I mentioned. We splurged for this vehicle & we are so very disappointed! Based on many people's suggestion here in the forum, I am going to buy Alenzas & see what happens (well, with the tire situation).

My 2006 400h needs new tires. It will be the 5th time they have been replaced since we bought it brand new. The first time we took it in they had the car for 6 weeks. It was at 19,000 miles on it and they said the tires were bald because of an alignment issue. 3 weeks later I noticed the car was pulling to the right and so I took it in and they said it needed new tires and they "fixed" the alignment and replaced the tires. 1 month after that I noticed the front tires were completely bald. I took it in, they said it was an alignment issue and replaced the front tires. About 3 months after that, the car was still pulling to the right, I took it in, they replaced the front two tires. Now, my tires are again bald and pulling to the right. So far, this has cost me about $1500 (not to mention my $300 pen that was stolen from the car the first time it was in).

Does anyone want to buy my car?

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 RX 400h with Michelin tires - performance baloney!! I have 21,000 miles on them and they need to be replaced. I have had tire rotation every 5,000 miles, and do a mix of city and highway driving, averaging 27.1 mpg. Since I need new tires, I don't want new Michelins if they are only going to last 20,000 miles, but I don't know what to buy. The tire dealers are recommending SUV/Truck tires for 65,000 miles. Will these degrade my performance? What to do???

Bridgestone Alenzas are excellent tires that will wear far better than did either OEM tires. The salesguy at Discount Tire told me that many brands of OEM tires wear very quickly; it doesn't matter the manufacturer. I bought all four Alenzas for $600 and couldn't be happpier with them. They are quiet, handle very well, and never show any wear.

Dave

I have a 2007 RX 400h with Michelin tires - performance baloney!! I have 21,000 miles on them and they need to be replaced. I have had tire rotation every 5,000 miles, and do a mix of city and highway driving, averaging 27.1 mpg. Since I need new tires, I don't want new Michelins if they are only going to last 20,000 miles, but I don't know what to buy. The tire dealers are recommending SUV/Truck tires for 65,000 miles. Will these degrade my performance? What to do???

Welcome to the group!

Have you checked alignment? The 400h is aligned at both ends (at least it is if you have the AWD version) and it doesn't take much of a 'ding' against a curb or whatever to knock it out. Then the tires (even Michelins) will start wearing quick. There are several threads mentioning this already. The search tool IS your friend. Several shops (but NOT Lexus for certain :D ) will give a 'one-time' price ... kind of high ... for a lifetime alignment. Then all you have to do is bring it in every 12 months. It's a nice deal if you keep your rig for more then 3 or 4 years. So check the alignment regularly. Sorry to hear your sad story w/ the Michelins, but ours DO wear great. With over 30K miles, ours still look new.

It should also be said the the RX400h puts a lot of torque on the ground through two front wheels. particularly if you occasionally "enjoy" the performance. Personally I don't expect tire wear comparable to your typical rear wheel drive vehicle.

Tom

• 3 months later...
It should also be said the the RX400h puts a lot of torque on the ground through two front wheels. particularly if you occasionally "enjoy" the performance. Personally I don't expect tire wear comparable to your typical rear wheel drive vehicle.

Tom

I've replaced the "recommended" GYear with Sumitomo LSV Touring, reasonably cheaper and has better tire wear rating. My only concern was road noise and performance. After 6 months, they are still great with little thread wear.

FYI.