Lock Car With Engine Running

Hello all, I am a brand new owner of a Lexus, or my wife is at least. Thus far I have been very impressed with the Lexus organization!

We bought a 2006 IS250

My question is if there is any way that we can lock the car while the engine is running? We travel with our dog and when we stop to eat or shop we like to leave him in the car with the AC on. Thus far in all of my reading of the manual and talking to one service guy I have not come up with a way to achieve my goal. Does anyone know of any options I have or other ways around the problem? Could I find a computer wiz and reprogram anything? Any help will be appreciated. They probably didn't think about the 3 people in the world that are interested in leaving their Lexus parked with their precious dog inside and the car running for anyone to steal, BUT it surely helps with our travels!

Thanks in advance

well, the problem is that i believe there is some safety thing in your manual that doesnt allow the key to exit the car when it is running, something will start buzzing. But you can always try this using two keys. you must really love your dog...thats a big waste of gas, and on press button start cars, the whole engine is on...unlike conventional cars where it can be on the ACC setting

1)start the engine

2) ask the dog what temp he/she wants

3)open door but press lock all doors button

4) close doors (leaving key inside)

ps. you may want to put a piece of ribbon in the vent area

well, the problem is that i believe there is some safety thing in your manual that doesnt allow the key to exit the car when it is running, something will start buzzing. But you can always try this using two keys. you must really love your dog...thats a big waste of gas, and on press button start cars, the whole engine is on...unlike conventional cars where it can be on the ACC setting

1)start the engine

Send him/her to school to learn how to unlock the door when you come back... :cheers:

Hello all, I am a brand new owner of a Lexus, or my wife is at least. Thus far I have been very impressed with the Lexus organization!

We bought a 2006 IS250

My question is if there is any way that we can lock the car while the engine is running? We travel with our dog and when we stop to eat or shop we like to leave him in the car with the AC on. Thus far in all of my reading of the manual and talking to one service guy I have not come up with a way to achieve my goal. Does anyone know of any options I have or other ways around the problem? Could I find a computer wiz and reprogram anything? Any help will be appreciated. They probably didn't think about the 3 people in the world that are interested in leaving their Lexus parked with their precious dog inside and the car running for anyone to steal, BUT it surely helps with our travels!

Thanks in advance

its just a dog. you know its ok to leave him at home right?

We bought a 2006 IS250

Thanks in advance

its just a dog. you know its ok to leave him at home right?

You have to understand that most peoples dogs are more important than most peoples kids. I would trust a dog over most people.

Ok for the dog issue, try opening all the windows 1 inch down to let some air in so you don't have to keep the car running. That solve the key problem.

If you still want to keep your A/C running than you do have to keep your keys in your car and lock in too. The answer is you have to remove the key..not the remote (silver part) in order to get back inside your vehicle. There is a key hole by the handle if you know the could open the door up incase your remote runs out of batteries. But the key is only for opening the door and locking the glove box. You can't start the car with it. Hope that answers both your questions.

silly question but i actually went out at 1:30am to my is250 to try and see if there was a keyhole in there. I found the keyhole and took the silver key out but could not get it to go inside the hole.

silly question but i actually went out at 1:30am to my is250 to try and see if there was a keyhole in there. I found the keyhole and took the silver key out but could not get it to go inside the hole.

Just like all cars but Lexus decide to hide the key hole. I forgot to mention to others that the key hole is on the bottom.

I don't really know why you can't get it in the hole.

well jus the plastic insert on that part of the cover, im pretty sure you can buy those

Well my wife hasn't let me pry anything off of her new car yet but I will keep that trick in mind...I have a good feeling that it won't work since Lexus seems to have gone out of its way to not allow anyone to lock the keys in the car with the car running on all other accounts

but if someone knows for sure that this works, please let me know so I know for sure

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just like all cars but Lexus decide to hide the key hole. I forgot to mention to others that the key hole is on the bottom.

I tried this on the trunk and yes it worked, but still cant manage to get the front door key hole to take my key. I looked at it much more and it didnt looked the same as the hole in the trunk, where as the trunk has the normal metal hole for the keys but the front just all plastic and seems to be just a hole and not a key hole. I'll prob go to my dealer when i get the free time so maybe they could explain to me how to stick the key in the hole. :(

I tried this on the trunk and yes it worked, but still cant manage to get the front door key hole to take my key. I looked at it much more and it didnt looked the same as the hole in the trunk, where as the trunk has the normal metal hole for the keys but the front just all plastic and seems to be just a hole and not a key hole. I'll prob go to my dealer when i get the free time so maybe they could explain to me how to stick the key in the hole. :(

my wife told me that the dealer explained to her that you use the key in that little hole in the plastic cover by the door handle of the drivers and passenger door and pry off the plastic piece (about 2 by 1 inch piece

and apparently under that is an actual key hole

still to date she hasn't let me replicate this thing but still interested to see if it will allow us to keep the engine running and still lock the doors

again, anyone know for sure if this trick will work?

my wife told me that the dealer explained to her that you use the key in that little hole in the plastic cover by the door handle of the drivers and passenger door and pry off the plastic piece (about 2 by 1 inch piece

and apparently under that is an actual key hole

still to date she hasn't let me replicate this thing but still interested to see if it will allow us to keep the engine running and still lock the doors

again, anyone know for sure if this trick will work?

Yes, it will work.

Once the engine is running, it will continue to run even if the keyfob is removed from the area.

If the car is turned off, it will not restart without the keyfob being brought back to the car.

Once the car is running, pop the door lock cover off and use the mechanical key to lock the door.

Your car will remain running until you come back, as long as the dog doesn't hit the Start/Stop button on the dash.

As for removing the door lock cover, it is no big deal... pops right off.

Just try not the drag the key across the door as you use it as a prying device to remove the cover. ;)

• 6 months later...

If you are worried about scratching the door, just leave the remote in the trunk and lock all the doors. use the "key" to get in your trunk and access the remote and then unlock the doors with that?

Just an idea, not sure if it will work or not?

:huh:

1)start the engine

That doesn't make and sense..you can't leave a set of keys in the car and lock the door. Anyone would able to open the door by putting their hand on the door handle. The car would recognize the set of keys in the immediate vicinity and unlock the door. It's impossible to lock the doors while leaving the keys in the car. The car will detect it and think it was you.

1)start the engine

That doesn't make and sense..you can't leave a set of keys in the car and lock the door. Anyone would able to open the door by putting their hand on the door handle. The car would recognize the set of keys in the immediate vicinity and unlock the door. It's impossible to lock the doors while leaving the keys in the car. The car will detect it and think it was you.

You can exit the car... it just beeps at you a few times... and if its turned off.. when the key isn't present.. it will not start...

• 14 years later...

Hello all - new member here. Many previous posts have great information which was helpful. Here are my observations:

I have a 2008 IS250 and had a need recently to leave the engine running after my battery had died. After recharging the battery, I had errands to run and didn't want to risk being unable to restart again until I could fully check the battery & charging circuit.  Here is how this worked on my model:

With (1) keyfob:  Separate key from fob, Open driver side window fully, Take key with you and step out, Close door, Reach in and lock door (it will not lock from the inside while running), Close window and pull arm out quickly

With (2) keyfobs, Same steps as above except:  Leave (1) keyfob inside, Separate the other keyfob after you step outside.

To open door with key: There is a small slot on the underside of the door handle end-piece. Carefully insert the key into the slot and gently push up. The piece should pop loose and you can remove it. After opening the door, snap the cover back on - it should be a seamless fit and not come off, until the release mechanism is pushed again.

your mileage may vary... 😁