Extremely Bad Gas Milage (rx330)

Rx330driver

when you refill the tank do you reset BOTH trip odometers?

If not, I think the computer is taking the average from the past several thousand miles you've driven.

I reset my trip odometers first, then fill the tank. When I drive away from the station, the AVG gas mileage from the previous tankful will momentarily display then reset to zero and calculate from there. I think reseting the trip odometers lets the car know that you've filled the tank.

I always reset the trip odometers before filling the tank - it is just a habit of mine. I usually pull 18-19mpg in a combo of city/highway driving. I have an '06 RX330 with about 2,700 miles on it. I use regular 87 octane gas in it.

Mark

when you refill the tank do you reset BOTH trip odometers?

If not, I think the computer is taking the average from the past several thousand miles you've driven.

I reset my trip odometers first, then fill the tank. When I drive away from the station, the AVG gas mileage from the previous tankful will momentarily display then reset to zero and calculate from there. I think reseting the trip odometers lets the car know that you've filled the tank.

I always reset the trip odometers before filling the tank - it is just a habit of mine. I usually pull 18-19mpg in a combo of city/highway driving. I have an '06 RX330 with about 2,700 miles on it. I use regular 87 octane gas in it.

Mark

no, you dont have to reset to odometer trips A and B for this to work. I have the nav so there is a screen for trip info...and after you fill up, it will display the old one for about 2 seconds of driving and then reset auto.

also, no, its in MPG cause i dont live in canada :)

I dont know about everybody else but the computer miles per gallon is always been way off from my hand calculations on my RX300. It has always averaged about 15-17 in town, but please remember I am in California where we have the formulated gasoline. When I go to Nevada the mileage has jumped 2 to 3 miles per gallon with their gas. Fill your tank and next time you fill divide the miles by the gallons that you add to the tank, super easy and very accurate.

I dont know about everybody else but the computer miles per gallon is always been way off from my hand calculations on my RX300. It has always averaged about 15-17 in town, but please remember I am in California where we have the formulated gasoline. When I go to Nevada the mileage has jumped 2 to 3 miles per gallon with their gas. Fill your tank and next time you fill divide the miles by the gallons that you add to the tank, super easy and very accurate.

I absolutely agree. Computer calculated mpg's are merely an estimate and on my '05, the computed mileage is high. I routinely get 2-3 mpg less than what the computer says when I do it the old fashioned, but foolproof, way. I divide miles driven by the gallons added. My computer will show 99 mpg going downhill with the computer showing instantaneous mileage.

no, you dont have to reset to odometer trips A and B for this to work. I have the nav so there is a screen for trip info...and after you fill up, it will display the old one for about 2 seconds of driving and then reset auto.

also, no, its in MPG cause i dont live in canada :)

Rx330driver is right you do not have to reset the trips for the MPG to work. I also have nav unit and I just checked it doing the calculation by hand and my MPG came out almost exactly the same. How often are you filling up RX ????????

Not sure about you but I tend to wait until I hit 1/4 of a tank and have usually got about 300 miles on mine by then. How many miles do you have on yours???

Your emergency brake is not on is it? :blink:JUST KIDDING

Something has got to be wrong...? I think that I would take it somewhere and have it checked out there is no way you should be avg 17 mpg. I have the same RX330 as you, and as I said I am avg between 21-24. Have you changed the size of your wheels or tires?????????

I cant even make 300 per tank and I go till the light is on. No HWY driving though

I would say 1/3 of my driving is city and the other 2/3's is hwy. :D

eh, i think you read my post wrong...lol, i am getting 12-13 mpg. anywhoo, i fill up my tank about twice a week now and i definitly dont get 300+ per full tank. Everything on my car is stock, but tmrw it will be time for a fill up so i will calculate everything. I just get too nervous when the yellow light comes on...:D

• 3 weeks later...

If you are really getting 12-13 mpg, there is something wrong with your car. If it is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. I used to be a car dealer, and we loved warranty work. I have the same car that you do, and I normally get 23 mpg in urban and suburban driving with 87 octane fuel. This is superfluous to your serious problem, but here are some ways to improve your gas mileage:

1. Make sure your tires are fully inflated.

2. Get a high-flow air filter (such as K&N).

3. Check the antifreeze component of your radiator. It should not be more than 45%. If it is, use a bulb extractor to remore coolant and replace with distilled water. Then add Water Wetter or a similar product to make your engine run at a lower temperature.

4. Avoid jackrabbit starts.

5. Avoid unnecesary braking--look ahead.

6. Stop using premium fuel. It is an unnecessary expense.

thanks for the tips, but what i failed to mention was...i dont understand anything you said from 2 and 3. Im not a mechanic do it yourself type of guy. To give an update, i calculated it all by hand, but im still sketchy about the yellow light with 3 gallons left so...according to my calc. i get 15-6 mpg...which is higher than the computer. Ive been keeping my car on the trip screen (nav) and because i keep watching the green bar jump back and forth, im starting to get 17 according to the computer, on a good day. I will bring this up on my next meeting, 1,000 miles to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 17 years later...

I've cleaned the MAF sensor and believe it made a big difference. From what I can measure about an improvement of about 6mpg.

Does anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket chip performance solutions that connect to the OBD port? Like:

rocketchipusa.com