Top Speed

I dont think thats as much an ECU restriction as its just the car wont go any faster. I know the new ones like mine will do 150 ish because of the new aerodynamics, but the older ones I've heard hit a wall.

I can't remember the website now, but I recently read a review/test of the 1997 ES300, and it listed the top speed at 137 mph (it didn't say if they ran it to that speed).

Jeff Hauck

Gresham, OR.

well heres one i know for fact because i have the 95 and i did reach top speed in mine on a long strip of highway and it got pretty scary.lolanyway top speed was 134 too maybe 136.i know it was right around there because i looked at the speedo but was nervous so i more kept my eye on the road but its for sure around 134 to 136.

I hit 120mph going home from school last week! It was night time, and i was going on to the freeway from an on-ramp, and nobody was on the road, so i said, "Hell, why not" I would have gone past 120, but i saw cars getting on another ramp so i slowed down. i slowed to 100 and felt like i was doing 65 (but every body does 90 on that freeway anyway)! Also gotta remember m8's, tires have speed rateings, and i believe most ES tires are rated for 130mph top speeds!

Another thing, I didn't seem to get into 4th gear untill i hit 90mph, or what i remember is getting up there in speed and felt the car shift (i almost thought i had another gear :D ), so maybe OverDrive knew i was going for the gold and waited to boost me till i got high up there :P

~Brian~

the early gen ES3's have a top speed of 125 governed. i'm pretty sure that was it. if you hit any higher than 125, your speedo is misreading, or you're getting extra speed from going down a hill. i remember a friend mentioning he went to a bit over 130 but he was going down a hill, so he got some extra help from gravity. i'm pretty sure the 92-96 ES's had a 125 governed top speed.

kevin

I've hit 120, but was scared to go any faster, b/c at the time, I had tires that were completely worn out, terribly out of balance, and rated at 110 or so mph! :blushing: So needless to say, I was already pushing my luck. Plus, my dad was a few miles back and I feared he might see me going so fast, but it felt like it maybe had a little more juice, but not much. These things love speeds of around 90, don't they? :D 93, by the way. I might try again, now that I have new V-rated tires.

i have high performance yokahoma tires so the tires wasnt the scary part.the scary part was other cars getting on the highway so i slowed down.i hit 4th gear also at about 90 or 95.the shift feals a little weird at that speed.almost like a thump.anyway i have the chip in mine so there is no governer that i know about.im sure of at least 134.i know this because i seen the speedo very clearly and beleave me i was flying!i did 165 in a worked z28 camaro once and that didnt feal as fast!i guess thats because there more made to handle the speed then the es.also hit 160 in a 95 mustang 5.0.i used to love that car!anyway im not sure about the governer on the es and what its governed too.

most likely is.but i wouldnnt recomend pushing the car that fast!lol.i know i wont do it again!i just did it to see how fast i could get it and thats it but never again.i try to treat a car as best as possible!

i need a chip

look around there everywere but some are pricey.i got the chip in mine but from what i hear from sk is its not that good.i thought i feel a little more power from it then before but never got a dyno dome on it like i planned to so i cant say for sure.it feels faster then my freinds thats for sure and i did beat him already in a quick little race.but he has a 93 so maybe someday i will test my other freinds 96 and see what happens.

why does it take so long to get into 4th gear for you all....

bbsal as you said... your car went to 4th @ 90 or so....

and ive heard others say that too....

were you gunning it the whole time ??

i mean im a pretty light touched driver and i hit 4th gear right around 40.....and then work my way up .... B)

now thats normal right ?

neil