Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

• 4 weeks later...

You won't need a copy of anything. Took mine to the dealer Saturday for the occasional clunk that just developed after 5 1/2 clunk-free years. No quibbles, and they were aware of the TSB. My copy of the warranty receipt says the propellor shaft assembly was replaced under TSB L-SB-0116-08.

You won't need a copy of anything. Took mine to the dealer Saturday for the occasional clunk that just developed after 5 1/2 clunk-free years. No quibbles, and they were aware of the TSB. My copy of the warranty receipt says the propellor shaft assembly was replaced under TSB L-SB-0116-08.

Took mine to a local dealer (Toronto, Ontario) and he had no idea what it was and asked me to bring in the TSIB.

Took mine to a local dealer (Toronto, Ontario) and he had no idea what it was and asked me to bring in the TSIB.

Well brought it to another lexus dealer and what a difference. They recognized it right away and said it would be done in 2 days. Got a nice RX350 for a loaner too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This TSB will completely solve the clunk issue. I'm glad to hear that you guys don't need to print out my TSB from 06 to have your guys' GX fixed.

• 1 month later...

Where can I get a copy of the TSB for the clunk? thanks...want to print and bring it to the dealer for my 05 Gx470..thanks!

the pdfs are posted on Page 19, thanks to mann777, It took me well over 90 minutes to read from start to end ( all the posts of this thread). So, I am including the pdfs here anyway if anyone reading random pages.

I too have both Clunk issue and 55-75MPH vibration issue on my '07 GX470 with 54K miles on it(just bought pre-owned from a remote non-Lexus dealer), hoping mann777 posted TSBs will fix my issues. I will try to call the local Lexus dealer tomorrow and see if I can get them fixed. I hope mine are covered as the TSBs say 72K or 7Years(72 Months).

and couple of questions about the vibration TSB, does it have to be under the floorboard because in the TSB in mentions under diagnostic procedure that," Confirm customer complaint of vibration/drone felt in the floorboard or seat between 55 -- 75 mph by test driving the vehicle and note the speed range in which the vibration/drone occurs."

I am not quite sure if I feel under the floorboard but my steering vibrates/vobbles like anything between those speeds, I feel like the whole car is vibrating.

I feel this vibration in my car is between 60-75MPH, does that mean I have both the problems mentioned in the TSB, i.e. 55-65MPH and 70-75MPH, ?

and why is 65-70MPH not covered in the TSB? I think I have the issue between these speeds too I guess.

is there any chance that they may deny as not being the floorboard and classifying as a different issue and try to rob me?

Thanks in advance.

CLUNK_TSB_2008.pdf

Steering_Drive_Line_Vibration_issue_Feb_2008.pdf

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Where can I get a copy of the TSB for the clunk? thanks...want to print and bring it to the dealer for my 05 Gx470..thanks!

the pdfs are posted on Page 19, thanks to mann777, It took me well over 90 minutes to read from start to end ( all the posts of this thread). So, I am including the pdfs here anyway if anyone reading random pages.

I too have both Clunk issue and 55-75MPH vibration issue on my '07 GX470 with 54K miles on it(just bought pre-owned from a remote non-Lexus dealer), hoping mann777 posted TSBs will fix my issues. I will try to call the local Lexus dealer tomorrow and see if I can get them fixed. I hope mine are covered as the TSBs say 72K or 7Years(72 Months).

and couple of questions about the vibration TSB, does it have to be under the floorboard because in the TSB in mentions under diagnostic procedure that," Confirm customer complaint of vibration/drone felt in the floorboard or seat between 55 -- 75 mph by test driving the vehicle and note the speed range in which the vibration/drone occurs."

I am not quite sure if I feel under the floorboard but my steering vibrates/vobbles like anything between those speeds, I feel like the whole car is vibrating.

I feel this vibration in my car is between 60-75MPH, does that mean I have both the problems mentioned in the TSB, i.e. 55-65MPH and 70-75MPH, ?

and why is 65-70MPH not covered in the TSB? I think I have the issue between these speeds too I guess.

is there any chance that they may deny as not being the floorboard and classifying as a different issue and try to rob me?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

Does this also apply to Canadian GX 470, 2007?

Yes it appears it does, if you have a warranty. I had quite a time convincing Lexus Edmonton first, that I had a warranty, and second that it applied to this problem. I had purchased a certified used GX470 in Kitchener, and brought it west to Alberta. It had a 40,000 km power train warranty, but the Edmonton dealer kept asking me if it was an American car - which it wasn't - I guess because the warranty is 70,000 miles there. I personally don't think it should matter if you have a warranty or not. The defect is well documented. I called Lexus Canada, who would only confirm that I had a warranty, but wouldn't commit to the problem being covered; nor would they call the dealer to tell them I had a warranty. "I'm not allowed to make outgoing calls, sir." I phoned the dealer and told them to fix the problem, and if necessary, I would pay for it and go after Lexus for repayment. When I picked up the car the next day, all was well. The repair was covered under warranty, and there's absolutely no clunk or vibrations. They did overfill the oil when they did an oil change - by about one litre - but that is another story!

• 1 month later...

So, I just purchased a used 2006 GX470 this afternoon from a non-Lexus dealer. It seems to be driving fine and I have not noticed any clunk. Should I take the vehicle to a certified Lexus service center to have this inspected to determine if the TSB replacement part has been applied?

Any help you can provide is appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I have almost 110k on my GX. It is still possible to get this done for free, since it was a recall right?

Right... Don't take "No" for an answer from the dealership because sometimes employees don't know and just say what they think.

• 1 month later...

I own a brand new Lexus GX460, and it is producing exceptional performance stats, and I really don't have any queries with my vehicle till now. Thanks for the info in this thread, and I think it may help me in some way in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here .. buying a 2004 with 95k miles next week. Are they fixing the clunk at that year / mileage ?

I'm getting a 1 yr power train warranty from the seller, I wonder if that would cover it if Lexus isn't going to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all,

I'm also new member to your forum and now owner of 03 GX470. Bought it with broken timing belt at 256K miles but in very good shape, still worth fixing. Installed used set of heads, new water pump, timing components, plugs, filters and fluids, all on my own. To my surprise, if fired up in second and runs very powerful and smooth, compare to my Mercedes ML320 (also fixer-upper with new tranny in it 3 years ago). After few days of driving, recutting the rotors and greasing both driveshafts, I am also experiencing the "clunk". First I thought that this is do to tranny downshifting to first gear, since it clunks right before comming to complete stop or just right after brake release on take off. On the top of it, I also feel the vibration ones I go over 55 mph and then it is gone pass 70 mph. I was ready to blame front tires to be out of balance.

I have all the records since day one for this truck and I know non of these parts were ever replaced. How much am I looking to spend in order to fix both issues? Anyone done these repairs on their own and has latest parts list?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please confirm that an out of warranty by age and miles GX can get the TSB done on Lexus/Toyota? I was just at my toyota dealership who is busy doing full frame replacements on Tundra pickups and supposedly it may pass on to the Sequoia line which I also own one of... I hate the TSB's that remain "secret" and stuff like that! please let me know guys, thanks!Jack

Can someone please confirm that an out of warranty by age and miles GX can get the TSB done on Lexus/Toyota? I was just at my toyota dealership who is busy doing full frame replacements on Tundra pickups and supposedly it may pass on to the Sequoia line which I also own one of... I hate the TSB's that remain "secret" and stuff like that! please let me know guys, thanks!Jack

• 1 year later...

This picture tells why greasing a driveshaft may or may not work (I would paste the pic in there but I am on an iPad and can't figure out how to do it):

http://www.raceindustry.com/part-showcase/tom-woods-custom-drive-shafts/6620-double-cardan-cv-drive-shaft.html

If the shaft is not collapsed fully, you could waste 1/2 tube of grease by pumping into the empty cavern at the end and not get it all the way toward the seal where the splines meet the grease seal. I just pulled mine loose (to get a better view which took 20 minutes....4 bolts on each end) and then cleaned it and lubed it by hand with Royal Purple grease (doesn't have to be that brand). Might as well grease up the unjoints while you are there. Worst case, it will prepare you to replace the shaft $300 from Sewell (with member discount). Best case, it fixes it like mine and you grease it annually. Mike

post-145252-0-18707700-1360407245_thumb.

This image of a driveshaft (done by the manufacturer for educational purposes) is not exactly the same as our GX470 shaft but similar enough to educate us. You can see the shaft comes in 2 pieces (the end with the blue ridges (splines) pulls loose from the larger tube. There is a grease fitting on the end of the shaft by the splines (plus another for the unjoints). If you just pump the open cavity full of grease, it will extend the shaft and can give a stiff feeling. I found the grease would not flow past the seal because the old grease there was hard and made a tight seal. Pulling the 2 halves of the shaft apart to clean, replacing the halves and compressing the shaft halves and then luring was the best approach. Mike

• 4 months later...

I just bought a '07 GX470 last week from a private seller in my neighborhood. Incredible condition; with just under 30K miles. I test drove it and felt the clunk, but figured it was worn brakes (at the time I knew nothing about the infamous clunk problem).

I bought the vehicle, then on a whim decided to research the clunk. I'm happy to say I found this site (and the clunk info) and took my vehicle to the dealership here in Portland with the TSB in hand. I am not joking when I say I snuck in exactly 1 day inside the expiration date of the 6 year powertrain warranty. It was divine intervention!

It took them some time to get the driveline, but I just got it back today. It's now perfect - no clunk!. While it was in, I had them resurface the rotors since I noticed a little bit of shimmy when coming to a stop. All four rotors had close to 0.040 thousandths runout (about double the allowable spec). Now it glides to a perfectly smooth stop. No clunks, no shimmy.

I also felt a slight bit of steering wheel jitter at highway speed, so I stopped into America's Tires on the way back from the Lexus dealership and discovered they were having a 3 day sale. I had them mount up a fresh new set of Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires. I asked them to very carefully balance them - and I'm happy to say the steering wheel jitter is now gone!

The tires out the door with full replacement warranty was $970 with a $100 rebate.

I feel like I've been really getting lucky with this GX470. I love it!

-pstallbaumer

• 4 months later...

Thanks in advance.

Perfect. These two TSBs apply to my new purchase of a used 2004 GX470. The Vehicle is in excellent condition but did not realize the issue until after I already purchased the car with 102K miles. Any chance I could be successful in getting the items repaired for free with Lexus given the mileage ? it is ridiculous to limit this faulty design to within the warrant period only.

Thank you for your post. It is much appreciated !!

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2006 at 0:25 PM, 3JBS said:

They said it will take 4 to 6 weeks for the parts to arrive.

This applies to all model years.

We traded in our '03 for an '05 on the promise they had fixed the drive shaft issue. Apparently nothing has really changed over the years until now.

I was reading up on the thump or clunk on my  03 GX470 and I noticed there's quite a number of owners experiencing this. I wonder if anyone can tell me if this is a factory warranted repair or will the owner have to pay for it. Around how much should I save up if I have to pay for it.  I Have about 134,000 miles on my GX and lately I have noticed the thump. It's as if someone hit me from behind. Thank you in advance on any advice and or comments.