Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

Just had mine done on Friday. TSB 37110-60A40. Works like a charm! It's just the driveshaft assembly now. I guess they stopped changing the control arm. Took about 4 hours. I'd recommend everyone going to get this done whether you need it done or not...before they stop the TSB. Cheers!

It's free for owners, original or not, with the factory warranty (or extended warranties also)... And it is only free thru warranty if the clunk happens on your particular GX. Not all GX470s have the clunk but a good majority of us have gone through it.

OK the latest TSB is out...here it goes...cheers to all the clunk sufferrers...

I am also attaching the previous TSB for reference, to know what has been revised. cheers :D

Good Lord, did you read that repair manual for fixing the noise for the 70mph+ issue? I've got the sister version, an 05' 4runner V8, and it too has the clunk and the droaning noises "I actually like it though, sounds muscular", but I didn't pay what you guys paid for the Lexus version, so I'm not quite as sensitive to it. But, man oh man, that second repair for the 75mph fix, looks intense, and if you're out of warranty, way too expensive to mess with. The 55mph fix seems easy enough, just a different mount. But the other one, with all the digging you have to do, no way jose'. If I had a GX out of warranty, and wanted this repair, then I'd simply trade the GX for one that was in warranty, and then fix that one. That repair has got to cost around $2k all-in!

OK the latest TSB is out...here it goes...cheers to all the clunk sufferrers...

I am also attaching the previous TSB for reference, to know what has been revised. cheers :D

Good Lord, did you read that repair manual for fixing the noise for the 70mph+ issue? I've got the sister version, an 05' 4runner V8, and it too has the clunk and the droaning noises "I actually like it though, sounds muscular", but I didn't pay what you guys paid for the Lexus version, so I'm not quite as sensitive to it. But, man oh man, that second repair for the 75mph fix, looks intense, and if you're out of warranty, way too expensive to mess with. The 55mph fix seems easy enough, just a different mount. But the other one, with all the digging you have to do, no way jose'. If I had a GX out of warranty, and wanted this repair, then I'd simply trade the GX for one that was in warranty, and then fix that one. That repair has got to cost around $2k all-in!

ok so i took my GX in for repairs today, but with the OLD TSB in hand. the clunk i have actually originates from right under the brake, and is prominent when stopping and pressing on the brake. so it seems that i got work done for a completely different problem. problem is, i still have the clunk under the brake, and am afraid they might have used outdated parts to repair the "rear clunk". i have to schedule another appointment with lexus first thing tomorrow, so i'll keep you guys updated. when parking my car at my apartment, i noticed a terrible grinding noise when easing up on the brake. i don't know if this is normal, but i'll have to bring this up with the Lexus technician asap.

anyone else have the clunk originating from under the brake? thanks.

Brakes? Do you think that your brakes are still somewhat sticking to the rotors? Well I know there's also a problem of warping brakes (depends on the driver's driving habits) on the GX. Bigger more heavy vehicle, more heat, energy, and brake pads to go thru.

Brakes? Do you think that your brakes are still somewhat sticking to the rotors? Well I know there's also a problem of warping brakes (depends on the driver's driving habits) on the GX. Bigger more heavy vehicle, more heat, energy, and brake pads to go thru.

i have absolutely no clue what the source of the problem could be. i actually got new brake pads a few months ago, so yeah...

well as far the "old" tsb is concerned, it seems that the only difference between the two is that with the new one, only the propeller shaft is installed, instead of both the propeller and the control arms as in the previous tsb. so i think im good

Got mine repaired yesterday and it's now smooth as silk! I would highly recommend you do this before the warranty expires but make sure you walk in there with the TSB or they will try to pull some B.S. about this not being covered by the 7 year warranty or it being another unrelated problem. On another note, I also had to have my radiator changed. Thank God I bought an extended warranty!

So, I was at the Lexus Dealership last Friday to pull the service history on my GS. I had a nice conversation with the service writer and asked about the clunk issue. I asked "are you still seeing a lot of driveshaft problems with the GX series?" He knew what I was talking about, when he replied "you mean the clunking/tap from behind feeling?" He said since Toyota finally reengineered the driveshaft, they're not seeing any return after this repair. He made comment about the other methods issued to fix it in the past, as "lipstick". I found his comment regarding the motivation for Toyota to finally fix the problem quite interesting, with "when Consumer Reports and media start downgrading their products, they listen and get moving to fix it". If you recall, CR recently cited the Tacoma as having a vibration and driveability problems "the clunk". So, maybe it's finally fixed for good, as it has affected practially all of their truck based vehicles, including my 4runner.

Well that's good if the Toyota division is going to consider the clunk fix on the 4runners. I know the 4Runner guys have been complaining that they are not getting any remedy to this problem even if they print out the Lexus TSB.

It is my understanding that the clunk problem on the GX stems from the variable height suspension and hence the 4runner should not have the same issue (as it lacks the variable height suspension). Isn't that accurate?

Not really. The clunk, in essence, is simply the slider sleeve of the driveshaft sticking in a forward postion from it's seat against the rear differential. The "clunk" you feel, is when that slider sleeve releases and hits against it's seat. That is the core of the clunk. Now, lexus has also added updated rear cushion bushings in some of the rear suspension components to help as well. But at the end of the day, it's a sticky driveshaft slider yolk. The 4runner guys, me included, simply go buy a $20 grease gun and a tube of Mobile One Synthetic grease, and "inject" it into the greasing points of the driveshaft every so-often "usually around 5-10k miles, depending on how bad it is". This temporarily fixes the slider sleeve from sticking, and it seats correctly, but it's only temporary. Think of the drive shaft as an accordian, which expands and contracts with the travel of the rear suspension. The lower the suspension, then the short the distance from the rear differential to the center differential "the two connecting points of the driveshaft". In that, there are parts that are supposed to slide back and forth in concert with the movement. Sometimes some of those parts get stuck, and "clunk" when they release. This driveshaft is the same setup that has been used for years across the Tacoma, 4runner, GX470, and quite possibly the other rear wheel drive truck-based vehicles of Toyota. But to answer your question, you can see where the variable height setting could be considered a problem, as it will adjust that distance bewteen the center diff and the rear diff, causing the drive shaft to expand/contract. But if you asking the advice to replace variable height sensor to fix it is correct, then I would have to disagree.

• Like 1

NC is right. the Clunk does not originate from the height control. That does instigate the clunk sometimes but the main problem is coming from the driveshaft, which is shared between the GX and 4Runner.

Tooms, glad you got yours fixed! Feels great to drive it now isnt it? ;)

We are about to take delivery of an 06 GX470 sometime within the next couple weeks. I'm not sure if it will have the clunk or not. It has 67k on it. So it is out of warranty.

If it does have the clunk will Lexus still take care of it or do you have to have some warranty left in order for the TSB to be done?

Honestly I'm not sure under which warranty it falls under. I presume powertrain but check with the dealer first.

Some dealers MAY do a "Good Will/Deed" service for you (aka either pay for the whole thing or work out a 50/50 split, depends) but that depends on how close or what is your relation with that Lexus dealership.

You never know, maybe the GX you are about to acquire does not have the clunk. ;)

All, it feels like a have the clunk problem as well. There is no dealer in my place (NOT the U.S.) who would replace the shaft for free. Anyone has any idea how much it could cost (at least on the US market -- materials plus work).

The key question I believe is how critical is it to repair the clunk. What can happen (at least theoretically) if I go on as it is? (the clunk feeling does not discomfort me much).

Many thanks for replies in advance.

I'm not a real mechanic but it's not really a safety issue. It's more of an annoyance issue that you feel when driving the car but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

We are about to take delivery of an 06 GX470 sometime within the next couple weeks. I'm not sure if it will have the clunk or not. It has 67k on it. So it is out of warranty.

If it does have the clunk will Lexus still take care of it or do you have to have some warranty left in order for the TSB to be done?

The clunk repair is covered under the 7 year 70,000 mile power train warranty so make sure you get it repaired before you hit the 70k mile mark. Make sure you have the TSB in hand when you walk into the dealer and tell them you would like the problem corrected.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you! I'm a new GX owner and took my vehicle to have the clunk repaired today. I really appreciate the great information.

I also complained about a rattle in the drivers side door and they replaced the front door check which was bent. The tech told me this is a common problem in the GX470s - for what it's worth.

• 1 month later...

:cheers:

Thank you! I'm a new GX owner and took my vehicle to have the clunk repaired today. I really appreciate the great information.

I also complained about a rattle in the drivers side door and they replaced the front door check which was bent. The tech told me this is a common problem in the GX470s - for what it's worth.

I too am a recently new GX owner. Purchased a 2007 with 42,000 miles. It had a terrible water leak into the rear of the vehicle. Lexus has it now replacing the roof rack seals after having replaced the rear door seal to no avail. There was also a cracked rear window (concealed hinge) channel, they are replacing under warranty as well. I've only driven it a few days --- before the rain --- so when I get it back we'll see if there is a clunk noise or not. I'm not sold that the roof rack grommets were the cause of the leak, as I've heard and read horror stories on the sunroof leaking.... we'll see how this all goes.

The bad part is I don't have a Lexus near me.... he's 130 miles one way.... however, my local Toyota dealer (where I purchased the Lexus) is working with me very nicely providing exceptional service. My fourth purchase from them.... Camery, 4runner, Tundra, and now Lexus. They take the car to the lexus dealer for service and provide me with a loaner.

Fun Stuff.....

• 3 months later...

:) Hi all. Just had the drive line replaced in my gx 470 because of the infamous clunk. They changed just the drive line and not only did the clunk go away but it use to bottom out in the rear suspension over some bumps which also sems to be gone. The car seems to drive better. It was done under the power train warranty 6 years 70000 miles.

• 1 month later...

We purchased a used '07 GX 2 weeks with 47k miles on it. I noticed right away the notorious clunking noise. It would do it coming to a stop, taking off from a stop and also from raising and lowering the suspension. I took it to the dealer and they performed the TSB work with no hassle.