Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

Will the TSB and parts replacement include a 2003 GX470 with 29,800 miles and out of their standard warranty period? Thank you.

If you make enough noise about it, you can get it done for nothing....as it should be. It's been a known issue with this vehicle and Lexus should have fixed it permanently as soon as they knew it. But, they say because it is not a safety issue, they will only fix it if a customer complains and if it is still under the 50,000 warranty.

You will see on the newest TSB that part of this service is covered to 70,000 miles and part only until 50,000 miles. Even my Lexus dealership did not know that part of it was covered under the 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I had to tell them to check the latest TSB.

In the end, I got the whole thing done for nothing on my 2004 GX470 with over 60,000 miles.

The newest TSB is April 2006. If anyone wants a copy of it, PM me with your email address and I will email you a PDF of it.

Could you send a copy of the TSB to djkim@iland.net Thank You Darrell

Please send a copy to mgowe1@yahoo.com, thank you

Could you please send a copy to crazyforvols@aol.com Thank you 2/5/08

First ever post Just bought my wife a 2005 gx470 w/ 26K and she says she feels a "lurch" sometimes when stopped is the same as a clunk it feels like some one bumped her from behind.:chairshot:

Yep, thats exactly it.

Wow that was easy

This forum is AWSOME!!!!!

I felt the so called "clunk" looked online found this site was educated on the clunk subject

called Park Place Lexus here in Dallas and was very shocked to hear No problem bring it in we'll put

you in a Lexus loaner car and get that taken care of replace Draive shaft and control arms

They said it would only take a couple of hours. I'm hooked on this site I cant wait to read it every night

Hppy as heck in Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have to have the CLUNK or can you just have it done as a precaution.

Wow that was easy

This forum is AWSOME!!!!!

I felt the so called "clunk" looked online found this site was educated on the clunk subject

called Park Place Lexus here in Dallas and was very shocked to hear No problem bring it in we'll put

you in a Lexus loaner car and get that taken care of replace Draive shaft and control arms

They said it would only take a couple of hours. I'm hooked on this site I cant wait to read it every night

Hppy as heck in Dallas.

Will the TSB and parts replacement include a 2003 GX470 with 29,800 miles and out of their standard warranty period? Thank you.

If you make enough noise about it, you can get it done for nothing....as it should be. It's been a known issue with this vehicle and Lexus should have fixed it permanently as soon as they knew it. But, they say because it is not a safety issue, they will only fix it if a customer complains and if it is still under the 50,000 warranty.

You will see on the newest TSB that part of this service is covered to 70,000 miles and part only until 50,000 miles. Even my Lexus dealership did not know that part of it was covered under the 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I had to tell them to check the latest TSB.

In the end, I got the whole thing done for nothing on my 2004 GX470 with over 60,000 miles.

The newest TSB is April 2006. If anyone wants a copy of it, PM me with your email address and I will email you a PDF of it.

I would appreciate it if I could get a copy of that as well Nicholas_Riemer@yahoo.com Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
I was just advised by my service advisor that it is a completely newly designed drive shaft and assembly that will cure the thump. The parts have been ordered! My '05 with 14,000 miles has had the shaft lubed 4 times.

I have a 05 gx450 it had the clunk. they replaced it within 2 months. Mine started clunking around 5000 miles.

Does this service note TSB cover 2007 model, do you know?

Can you send me a copy, grettir@jysk.ca, Thank you.

I have an 04 GX470 w/ 65K miles... I too, am hearing the clunk/thump periodically. I called Hendrick Lexus here in NC and they have the parts in stock ("because they do so many" --- per the parts persson--- wow, wish i had known about this before buying it). My appt is Friday (2 days from now) and they say it will take a couple hours to fix. We'll see... I'll keep you all posted.

I have an 04 GX470 w/ 65K miles... I too, am hearing the clunk/thump periodically. I called Hendrick Lexus here in NC and they have the parts in stock ("because they do so many" --- per the parts persson--- wow, wish i had known about this before buying it). My appt is Friday (2 days from now) and they say it will take a couple hours to fix. We'll see... I'll keep you all posted.

By the way.. I have the TSP dated 5/29/2007. Is there a newer version out there? does anyone know?

By the way.. I have the TSIB dated 5/29/2007. Is there a newer version out there? does anyone know?

Well... I had the "clunk" fixed today. And, the 5/29/07 TSIB is ther latest version. I scheduled service on Wed and had it done today (Friday)... not bad. The parts were in stock. But, I suppose by now (2008) they should have caught up w/ the demand for the parts.

So far so good... Haven't heard the clunk all day... Hope it stays that way!

Could you send me a copy to eprp@earthlink.net. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Two weeks ago, I purchased a demo 2008 GX470 from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. The second day I drove it, I noticed "the clunk". Googled it and found that this is a well-known design flaw since the 2003 year models. Brought it to the attention of the Service Manager, John Bosnal, who said he wasn't sure if a TSB was issued for the 2008 models. Took the GX in for minor issues (driver's side mirror not going down all the way when shifting into reverse, XM radio installation, etc.) and spoke with a service advisor, Andre, who stated that the 2008 models already have the reengineered driveshafts and the fixes that were used on previous models make only make a small difference. Said to try using premium fuel as they only use mid-grade in their demos and see if the problem continues. Premium fuel makes no difference (I knew it wouldn't) and the problem remains. Does anyone have a 2008 year model GX with the same "clunk" experience. Otherwise, this SUV is quiet and smooth but I am amazed that Lexus with all of it's propaganda about quality, has been making the same mistake with this driveshaft since 2003. My other concern is about the honesty of the dealership and Lexus who continue to sell this vehicle without informing customers of a problem that potentially cannot be fixed. I just competed their online Lexus customer satisfaction questionnaire which reflects my concern about their quality and honesty and am hoping they decide to keep me as a customer.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a demo 2008 GX470 from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. The second day I drove it, I noticed "the clunk". Googled it and found that this is a well-known design flaw since the 2003 year models. Brought it to the attention of the Service Manager, John Bosnal, who said he wasn't sure if a TSB was issued for the 2008 models. Took the GX in for minor issues (driver's side mirror not going down all the way when shifting into reverse, XM radio installation, etc.) and spoke with a service advisor, Andre, who stated that the 2008 models already have the reengineered driveshafts and the fixes that were used on previous models make only make a small difference. Said to try using premium fuel as they only use mid-grade in their demos and see if the problem continues. Premium fuel makes no difference (I knew it wouldn't) and the problem remains. Does anyone have a 2008 year model GX with the same "clunk" experience. Otherwise, this SUV is quiet and smooth but I am amazed that Lexus with all of it's propaganda about quality, has been making the same mistake with this driveshaft since 2003. My other concern is about the honesty of the dealership and Lexus who continue to sell this vehicle without informing customers of a problem that potentially cannot be fixed. I just competed their online Lexus customer satisfaction questionnaire which reflects my concern about their quality and honesty and am hoping they decide to keep me as a customer.

My guess is that you still have the old drive shaft. Since Lexus havent release a TSB for the 08 yet, technically, the dealer cannot fix it under warranty. If you camplain loud enough, they can try to get approval from Lexus HQ for the work, or you can just wait for the 08 TSB to come out.

Could you send me a copy to eprp@earthlink.net. Thanks

I believe the TSB fix for the clunk is for 03-07 models.

UPDATE 4/17/08 - I called by sales rep who assumed the responsibility of finding a solution...Lexus led the dealership to believe that the 2008 GX were all fixed at the factory when in fact, they were not. I immediately took the GX in and they fixed by the next day. Have had no problems with the "clunk" since the repair and am very appreciative of my sales rep, Matt Pettit, for resolving the issue when others didn't have much of an interest. If you are in Dallas and wanting a new or used Lexus, call Matt Pettit at 214-384-1633....I highly recommend him. Thanks, Joel Nugent.

Hi. I found this forum looking for something else today, but I'm interested in this "clunk." Can someone explain exactly what it is?

I purchased my GX in November and haven't had any problems. I did notice a slight kick or something today, while idling at red light, I hadn't noticed before.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how you determine if a particular vehicle has the problem, or if it has been fixed? I just bought a 2008 GX470 in March. Does the VIN, production date or location have anything to do with it?

I am not sure if mine has this clunk or not. I will check the next time I drive it. Thanks to these posts, I now know what to look/feel for.

Thanks

Omegaman

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new 2008 in January and I have the Clunk. Same thing I had in my 2001 Sequoia. It's intermittent: either non-existent or clunks continuously.

I took it into the dealer last week and of course it couldn’t be replicated. Service Rep showed me the TSB referencing Model years to 2007 only.

Dij

Just an update; I took my 2008 GX470 (purchased in late March, 2008) to the dealer yesterday to change the plastic piece that covers the speedometer/tach/etc (because of scratches on the back/inside side, for the second time), and the clunk issue came up (I brought it up). They had no problem making the changes (TSB). The service manager, without hesitation, said, and I quote “I would be glad to complete the TSB” (which only technically goes through 2007), and said he would check to see if he had the parts. He did. They began to complete the TSB right then (same day), but, corporate said no, claiming my 2008 should already have the new parts. My dealer argued with them, stating that their customer had experienced the clunk (I experienced it only two times (1400 miles), and this is what I told him). They (corporate) agreed to allow the dealer to change the driveshaft, but not the arms (upper/lower, two sets of two). My dealer changed the driveshaft. My dealer said that the driveshafts were, without question, different, but they could see no visible difference in the arms (note that they did not really look closely (measure them), so there may really be some difference; I have read that the new ones are larger in diameter but do not know if mine has the new or the old). The dealer (service manager) also said that the numbers on the driveshaft don't mean much. They use the part numbers specified in the TSB, and the numbers on the driveshaft may not be the same when ordering the driveshaft by the part number in the TSB.

The service manager and I spent at least 1/2 hour looking for some mention of the VIN regarding the clunk issue. We could not find any. There seems to be nothing in the VIN that would tell them/you if or if not the clunk TSB is included. The bottom line is that the dealer has no easy way to determine if you have or not the new driveshaft and arms. They just go by complaints. If you complain, and based only on the complaint, they (the dealer) should/may apply the TSB, but corporate may prevent them from doing the entire TSB, or any of it depending on the vehicle and how strongly the dealer is willing to argue with them on your behalf. When I say prevent, I mean of course, they will not pay for it.

I have not driven the vehicle long enough to see if the clunk is gone. I have not experienced it yet, but hardly did before. Since I have only driven 40 miles since the driveshaft change (due to my three recent surgeries) I really don’t know if it is fixed. I cannot really tell any difference except that it may shift a little smoother. One last note, the service manager said that the biggest part of the clunk problem is lack of grease in the drive shaft (the end that goes into the transmission, I think, and which has no grease fitting). He grease mine up when he installed it. The other end has a grease fitting but since it is not mentioned in the dealer prep documentation only experienced techs will know to grease this as part of the prep before sale. He said, as the driveshaft gets drier and drier (grease melts or thins out) the worse the clunk will be. He gets his 2007 GX470 greased (the driveshaft) at every oil change, and we agreed that he would do the same to mine at every oil change.

Omegaman

• 2 months later...

MY 2007 GX 470 WITH 22,400 MILES STARTING HAVING A CLUNK WHEN I STOPPED. IT FELT LIKE SOME TAPPED MY REAR BUMPER. CALLED THE LOCAL LEXUS DEALER THEY HAD PARTS IN STOCK. THEY REPLACED THE DRIVESHAFT ASSY. AND CONTROL ARMS. DRIVES LIKE A DREAM, IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. NOT WORRIED COVERED WITH STANDARD DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY 7-YEARS OR 70,000 MILES DEALER GAVE ME A LEXUS LOANER FOR THE DAY AND CLEANED CAR NO CHARGE. A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE.