Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

It pretty hard to go to arbitration and win since the clunk is not a safety issue. Have you apply the lastest TSB for the clunk, if so, there is a good chance that there are other problems on your GX.

Does it have to solely be a safety issue for them to buy the vehicle back? I found some documented cases online where GX owners won in cases versus Toyota Motor Sales, and the result was them buying the vehicle back.

It has had all the TSBs, including the latest one unfortunately. They all seem to fix the problem for a short period of time, then it returns......

Usually, for Toyota motor to buy back your vehicle, it would have to be a safety or a problem that prevent you from using your car. I would say you have some other issue if you already had the lastest TSB. Try bring it to another dealer, maybe you might have better luck there.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up an 05 Sport model with 38K miles @ 34K dollars. All the bells & whistles and a clean carfax. The carfax reflects no damages or recalls. How do I know if the TSB clunk issues has been fixed? Is there a sereal or part number I can check underneath to determine if the TSB was taken cared of? During the test drive and to date I have experienced zero vibration.

If it has not been fixed, will a Toyata dealership (down the road) do the work, or will I have to drive to the nearest Lexus dealer (1.0 hour away) to honor the TSB?

Thanks in advance...

Its not a vibration issue, its a clunk issue. When you come to a stop, do you sometime feel a slight push from the back after you stop. If so, you need the TSB done. Your Lexus dealer should know if the TSB have been done on your GX or not by looking at the computer. The Toyota dealer cannot do Lexus TSB or warranty work.

congratulations! let's welcome ourselves to the forum (newbie too myself). in addition... the clunk repair is covered under the drivetrain 70k warranty. yours is at 38K miles. so you shld be covered and might as well take it to a lexus dealer... nicer lounge area and free refreshments and wash :) or you might get a loaner :whistles: while its getting fixed. i just had mine done last week... and no more thump/clunk, smoother stops and gos... now if i can only get them to fix the "drone" :unsure: btw it might take a while for the dealer to get the parts... mine took a month... but it's worth the wait. goodluck.

Thanks folks for the quick and prompt response. Checked with the closest Lexus dealer. Provided my VIN to determine if the work has been performed. Response was no. I do not, however, experience any clunk or push from the rear when I am coming to a stop. No worries. I plan to take it in so that they can order the parts anyway. Preventive maintanance has always been the best medicine.

Thanks folks for the quick and prompt response. Checked with the closest Lexus dealer. Provided my VIN to determine if the work has been performed. Response was no. I do not, however, experience any clunk or push from the rear when I am coming to a stop. No worries. I plan to take it in so that they can order the parts anyway. Preventive maintanance has always been the best medicine.

If you are currently not experiencing or feeling the clunk, the dealer won't order the parts (I would presume)

• 3 weeks later...

I am in San Diego area, my closest dealer is Kearney Mesa Lexus, So far I am, not impressed with their level of service and support, are there any recommendations as of what the best dealership in the area is? I have heard a few good things about Carlsbad Lexus. Kearney Mesa Lexus said the Clunk was "just something I would have to live with, I did after all buy a truck". :(

Will the TSB and parts replacement include a 2003 GX470 with 29,800 miles and out of their standard warranty period? Thank you.

If you make enough noise about it, you can get it done for nothing....as it should be. It's been a known issue with this vehicle and Lexus should have fixed it permanently as soon as they knew it. But, they say because it is not a safety issue, they will only fix it if a customer complains and if it is still under the 50,000 warranty.

You will see on the newest TSB that part of this service is covered to 70,000 miles and part only until 50,000 miles. Even my Lexus dealership did not know that part of it was covered under the 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I had to tell them to check the latest TSB.

In the end, I got the whole thing done for nothing on my 2004 GX470 with over 60,000 miles.

The newest TSB is April 2006. If anyone wants a copy of it, PM me with your email address and I will email you a PDF of it.

Could you send a copy of the TSB to djkim@iland.net Thank You Darrell

Please send a copy to mgowe1@yahoo.com, thank you

mgowe1, did you have the clunk TSB done already? If not, print out a copy and show it to them.

The Kearney Mesa Dealer (those &*&%%$$!) said it felt like it was already done as mine was not too bad.

You wanna know for sure weather your GX has the issue?

Place the vehicle in drive on a level surface, apply the brake firmly (regular brake not hand brake) and switch the ride control from "N" to Low and then to high. If you have the issue you will think something is falling out from the bottom of the vehicle!

Thats only in the most servere case, I had the clunk and my GX never make any noise when I step on brakes and play with the rear height control. If you even feel a little bit of a bump from the rear sometimes when you stop at a red light, the TSB is not done. Sounds like you need to be a little more firm with your Lexus dealer. Print out the TSB and show it to them and ask them to perform it. If they refuse, tell them you will call Lexus headquarter and file a complain about them refusing to perform a warrenty service. If TSB is already done, they will know it once they get it one the lift.

After reading all 15 pages of notes here it's apparent my 2007 GX has the clunk too. It started shortly after I got it. I'm due for my 5000 service soon so I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see if he'll order the needed parts now. What's really annoying is that before I even ordered my GX I asked the service manager about the clunk and the high speed droning hum. He claimed the clunk had been remedied and would not be a problem on the 2007. I wonder if he believed that or was just lying. Actually - he's the guy I'll call tomorrow. I also noted on this forum that I should make sure they do raise the height when they perform the repair.

Well I tried to do my homework before buying the car and I still have the clunk. Interesting that the car the dealer let me drive didn't have it.

Thanks everyone for all their help.

• 2 weeks later...
mgowe1, did you have the clunk TSB done already? If not, print out a copy and show it to them.

GMan, who has a copy of the TSB for this so that I can take it to my dealer? I have only 1,400 on my 2008 and it for sure does the "thunk" from a stop. I thought it was a "sticking brake caliper?"

Glenn

Chicago IL

I made the appt with my dealer for the 5000 service and I asked them about the 'clunk' . They seemed quite aware of the problem, although they referred to it as a 'thump.' But they won't order the parts until they verify my car has the problem.

Could you please e mail me the lastest TSB also? That way I'll be fully prepared when I drop off my car.

Thank you again.

I have a 2004 GX with 36k miles that has made this noise since new. Please email me any documents that describe the TSB issue. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bob

rasmith200@comcast.net

refer to pg 9 which has my write-up when i had the clunk done. But for those who just had it recently done and have a newer updated write-up, we would appreciate it if you scan and post it up here (with the confidential information blocked out). Thanks!

On a recent trip my 04 GX 470 developed the clunk. I took it to my dealer on a Monday and by Thursday I had an appointment and replaced the necessary parts. So far so good. Some of the issues must be with individual dealers, there was no problem from Lexus at all.

I could not start a new topic and I apologize if this is not the same problem as described in the TSB.

We own a 2006 Lexus GX740, and when the speed gets above 65 mph on colder days (we are in Phoenix, so this constitutes about 55 to 65 degF), we hear a banging or thumping or flapping noise underneath the car on the right hand side. We are having a tough time figuring out if it is in the front or the back of the car.

This happened within the first week after we owned the car. It is intermittant, and the dealer has not been able to reproduce it, either because it heats up or they do not drive it around enough. We have brought it in four times.

When it does start occurring, it will make this thumping, banging or flapping noise for hundreds of miles - it almost sounds like rocks in the wheel well, someone hammering on the bottom of the car, or a mid-pitch thumping noise. Everyone that hears it is a bit shocked, thinking the tire has gone flat. My wife tried to explain it to me for the last year and for the first time, I heard it as we drove to our relatives house about 300 miles away and it was so loud, I was concerned something would break.

When she has had friends in the car, they were concerned that the tire went flat. When we inspect underneath the car, everything looks fine.

This happens with no turning, no bumps, no wind, just driving down a smooth freeway on a perfectly still day.

• 4 weeks later...
That doesnt sound like the clunk problem.

Follow up Here on the Clunk/Thunk issue. I finally got mine done at Lexus of Palatine in Arlington HTS IL. They were great!! I didnt even have an appt and they took me right in, said they'd done hundreds of these and knew exactly what the problem is/was. It took about a day and driveshaft replaced as well as control arms in rear. The thunk is gone (at least I think the thunk is gone!!). No more thunk/clunk on stopping nor starting and the car actually seems smoother (is that possible) when its running or maybe its just my imagination. FYI, the factory did not fix this for 2008 so if you have an 08, don't assume it was done. How long the fix will last, I don't know, BUT she is purring like a kitten right now and is a kick-!Removed! car truck in the snow. By the way, had a 2008 RX 350 for loaner and that lil sucker is a nice cute-ute. Certainly quicker ( not as torquey though) as the GX and handles real nice. It still feels like a dressed up Highlander though!!

Glenn

2008 Blizzard White GX470

• 2 weeks later...