Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

Lexus is suppose to check the height when they perform this TSB. The height can cause the vehicle to clunk due to the diff. in the driveshaft angle. Maybe your height was off and they adjusted it you. On the safe side, I would adjust your rear height to make sure it still works.

I wouldn't sweat the small things, like a slightly different height. At least the clunk disappeared, and that's the important part.

It's like trying to either please your wife and go out to dinner with her, or stay home with an angry wife but you get to watch the game. Can't have everything but you choose the lesser evil. ;)

Lexus is suppose to check the height when they perform this TSB. The height can cause the vehicle to clunk due to the diff. in the driveshaft angle. Maybe your height was off and they adjusted it you. On the safe side, I would adjust your rear height to make sure it still works.

Hi,

What should the height be? I just got my TSB done and the ride is great, smooth. I just can't believe what I've been missing got the last 2 years.

Is there anyway I can check it myself?

Thanks!

Hey folks!

My wife and I bought a Certified 2004 GX in Sept 2006 and we LOVE it!! :D

We had noticed the "clunk", but it didn 't seem too bad so we decided to ignore it.

That is until my mom was riding with us and at the first stop sign, the "clunk" happened and she asked about it. Since then several passengers have asked us about it and wondered why we weren't going to persue a fix.

So, here we are in Jan of 2007 and we visited our local dealer for some unrelated service. I asked about the "clunk" issue and the service rep said that they were due to receive the parts within the next three weeks. He wrote-up a service request for our vehicle and said that they would call us when the parts had arrived.

By the time we got home, I had received an e-mail from the parts department confirming the special order.

I will post updates as I get them.

;)

When your parts arrived, you better remind the service consultant

of the height of the vehicle which should be set at the normal factory position. My four year old little son even found it difficult to step on the

running board since the height was set too high when TSB for clunk

was completed. I saw a few other posts mentioning the height related

this TSB.

Anyway, you will have smooth and comfortable ride after the clunk

has been fixed. I have driven 3K miles after TSB, nice ride without

clunk anymore!

I was just advised by my service advisor that it is a completely newly designed drive shaft and assembly that will cure the thump. The parts have been ordered! My '05 with 14,000 miles has had the shaft lubed 4 times.

Let us know how it goes. I am also experiencing it intermittently but not as bad as some people described it. I have an 04 model with 21K on it.

Thanks.

what exactly is the thump??? I have a 2006 Gx and twice now I have heard a strange noise when parked in traffic on a steep hill when foot is on the break? Not really a thump but like a grinding noise maybe? Did not sound good but once moving never heard it again or had any problem.

Stinky Pete

Buzz must have lasered you good for you to think this "whack from the back" issue was not too bad. I shouldn't talk though, I was well aware of the problem and still bought an '04 on the assurance that the "clunk" had been fixed. Arbitration with Lexus was a joke. Big Wig they sent from LA called it a "characteristic" and not a flaw as we all know it to be, and the panel of "non-partisan" arbitrators were biased to the nth degree. They were paid by Lexus Corp. for goodness sake....

My dealer in No. CA has been sympathetic and very forthcoming in telling me that the new '07 will not have the new control arms already in place and that the control arms will NOT be a perfect fix; that there will still be clunking, although not so drastic.

I'm actually nervous now to get the fix that is on order since this will be my 4th drive shaft in 2.5 years. I'll have to find Naive Lexus Buyer of the Universe in order to off-load this thing.

Silent for many months but furious again after reading all this....

GX Remorse

You can call it a characteristic or call it a design flaw, either way, its not a safety issue so there is no way they will buy back your car in arbitration. I agree this should not happen in a $50K car, but at least Lexus is trying to fix the problem unlike other auto manufacturers.

I must agree with stinky pete, the cluck was not that bad. I guess some people have it worst than other. Maybe yours is really bad. Anyhow, almost 100% of people who had this lastest TSB done have not had the cluck since. As far as I know the 07 should have the latest TSB in it, I am wondering how well inform is your Lexus dealer.

This TSB is the real deal, get it fix and you can complain here afterward if the cluck comes back.

Stinky Pete

Buzz must have lasered you good for you to think this "whack from the back" issue was not too bad. I shouldn't talk though, I was well aware of the problem and still bought an '04 on the assurance that the "clunk" had been fixed. Arbitration with Lexus was a joke. Big Wig they sent from LA called it a "characteristic" and not a flaw as we all know it to be, and the panel of "non-partisan" arbitrators were biased to the nth degree. They were paid by Lexus Corp. for goodness sake....

My dealer in No. CA has been sympathetic and very forthcoming in telling me that the new '07 will not have the new control arms already in place and that the control arms will NOT be a perfect fix; that there will still be clunking, although not so drastic.

I'm actually nervous now to get the fix that is on order since this will be my 4th drive shaft in 2.5 years. I'll have to find Naive Lexus Buyer of the Universe in order to off-load this thing.

GX Remorse

GX Remorse,

I'm sorry to here you have had problems with your GX. My wife and I agree that this is the best car we have owned EVER and that this is the first of hopefully a long relationship with Lexus (she wants a SC! :) )

I feel your pain though when it comes to problems with a manufacturer and then going thru "arbitration". Fifteen years ago, my wife and I experienced the same senario with the one who makes "Ram Tough" vehicles. We went through a long three year legal battle which by the end of we discovered that our lawyer was on the manufacturer's payroll and the judge (who was elected) had her campaign financed by one of the local "Ram Tough" delereships. The judge declared the case a "draw" and we ended-up with the manufacturer reimbursing our legal fees (about $1400) and we kept the piece of "Ram Tough" junk! Oh... we also had to sign a statement that IF we EVER bought another vehicle from this manufacturer (no matter what the brand), we could NOT file a lemon law claim against them. Needless to say, we have never even considered owning a "Ram Tough" vehicle since. In the words of "our" lawyer, "well, there are millions of other suckers out there who will buy them." :o

But back to our GX...

Actually, the clunk in our GX is not that bad, it only happens about one in every 20-25 brake/accelerate cycles. But, when it happens with Mom in the car, that's completly unaceptable!! ;)

Stinky Pete

GX Remorse

Your dealer is wrong. I have an 07 GX and it has the updated control arms and driveshaft. Before I traded my 06 GX (which had the updated parts) in, I measured the thickness of the lower control arms and they are the same on my 07. The old control arms were much thinner, since I measured them before having the TSIB done. I also see that the upper control arms have the proper color coded band on them that the old parts never had. So your dealer doesn't know (what a shock) what he is talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

can anyone confirm if this issue impacts the 2007 models?

It should not. If you've read about like 5 or 6 pages ago (or maybe more, not sure what page it's on) the issue was SUPPOSIDLY fixed for the 06s. Some early 06 built units still had it, but now I presume the later 06 productions (which means, the 07 GX470s) shouldn't have it. But you never know when a unit or two might have it. It's a better risk now than it was back years ago. Chances of the clunk is less. ;) Besides, if you buy an 07, you have plenty of time to get it fixed as this problem doesn't usually appear DAY ONE that you drive it.

• 1 month later...

I have not yet seen the actual TSB. But, understand there are two of them related to the CLUNK.

My '04 is out of warranty (64k miles).

If I have to pay for this myself, about how much will it cost?

I have not yet seen the actual TSB. But, understand there are two of them related to the CLUNK.

My '04 is out of warranty (64k miles).

If I have to pay for this myself, about how much will it cost?

Oh. I don't quite know. My invoice on the TSB doesn't have the price as warranty paid for it. I would unfortunately guess that it will cost you at least 4 digits. Lexus parts are expensive. They replaced my monnroof glass (because rubber strip was coming off, they said u can't just order the rubber but the whole glass) and the glass itself was already $400. Labor on the clunk will at least run around 5-6 or even more hours.

So basing on the average labor rate of $100, your at about $500-$600 at least just for labor. Parts could cost maybe in the upper $700-$900 if you're lucky.

See if the dealer could cook up a deal for you or something. My dealer gave me a "one time good gesture" on my rear door lock which busted out a month after my warranty was up. Try it, maybe they could do a 50/50 deal or something. ;)

Yes me too. I know, for whatever the cost is, as long as the dealer does the job and does good, the clunk will never return.

:cheers:

I feel sorry for the V8 4wd 4Runner owners. They never had a chance at this TSB. :chairshot:

Hi,

Do you have an answer for your question? I am reading all of the emails posted in this forum before I buy a 2007 GX470. I want to make sure the 2007 don't have the so called "Clunk" bug.

I appreciate if you let me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks!!

Do you have an answer for your question? I am reading all of the emails posted in this forum before I buy a 2007 GX470. I want to make sure the 2007 don't have the so called "Clunk" bug.

According to what I have been told by a couple dealers, Lexus has not really fixed this problem yet. They are still using some of the same Driveshaft and Control Arm Assmeblies and won't completely change over until they redesign the vehicle in a couple years. They will fix the problem with redesigned assemblies if customers complain about it and it is still under the 50,000 mile warranty. But, only if the customer complains. The driveshaft is covered until 70,000. However, not the Control Arms.

For a company like Lexus, this is pathetic. I have owned nothing but Lexus vehicles for the past 15 years. This is very disappointing. I just bought a 2004 GX470, but am told that I will have to pay to fix this issue because it has more than 50,000 miles on it.

One dealer told me the price would be $2500-$2600 for the complete fix. That's absurd.

• 3 weeks later...

My Lord, 12 pgs on the Clunk. Well let me get out my bat to beat this pile of glue which used to be a dead horse. I got the TSB done on my '05. It wasn't that bad, but if there's a fix I want it. Well, now it's three times as bad as it ever was. Hopefully, they just made a mistake and gave me the original parts. Of course, the Parts Dept said that this isn't possible since "they recalled all of the old parts and took them out of recirculation". Good times. Guess I'll start over.

My Lord, 12 pgs on the Clunk. Well let me get out my bat to beat this pile of glue which used to be a dead horse. I got the TSB done on my '05. It wasn't that bad, but if there's a fix I want it. Well, now it's three times as bad as it ever was. Hopefully, they just made a mistake and gave me the original parts. Of course, the Parts Dept said that this isn't possible since "they recalled all of the old parts and took them out of recirculation". Good times. Guess I'll start over.

But when did you have the TSB done though?? Maybe the TSB you had done, was one of the older unsuccessful ones! I've been through all of Toyota's attempts and TSB and I'm finally glad they completely figured it out with this last current one. :cheers: :cheers:

I can confirm it. :cries: I have an 07 GX I bought in March and noticed the clunk within days of driving off the lot. Haven't returned for the 5K service yet, but intend to raise the issue with the service manager when I do.