Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

Well another week gone by and so far nothing to report. But I do agree with you G Man.

Can I ask you guys something though, despite the small issue with the parts and the entire "clunk" issue, do you think the vehicle is worth every penny (or man, many penny's :))

Nica, I think GX470 is a great vehicle and it's definitely worth money you

spent. Such a smooth and quiet drive cannot be experienced with other

SUV. My 2003 will be taken to the dealership next week for a repair.

Unfortunately, it isn't for a "clunk" but for a "new catalyst" to solve sulfur

odor problem which isn't very serious, though. I again asked the dealer

about a lead time for the updated drive shaft to fix the clunk problem,

but they replied that no further info available....

Besides, the clunk won't break down our GX that we can't use it anymore! I heard of a CTS that'sa bout 2kmiles old, and has some tranny lining or something break, and was in the shop for a week! yup, 2k miles old. :wacko: :)

I would strongly agree with all of you guys. I have never really owned a luxury SUV...I own an old beat up jeep (it's actually a nice car)...but it's no luxury (trust me on that, it has rust spots everywere). I took it on the highway and it's a sweet ride. I don't feel a bump, no wind sound...actually hardly any sound from outside. It gets lots of attention. I don't think there is a perfect car out there yet, so I don't expect the GX470 to it.

I think it's worth every penny. I'm really curious to see the remodeling of the GX470. There is room to improve (always) but there are a few things that make it such a great car. The one thing that I'm really enjoying is the height. I don't think there is an SUV that can compare to the heigh of the Lexus....well I could be wrong but I drove a Mercedes and a BMW...I never did test drive an Escalade (I'm not interested on them). Lexus beat the competition hands down, well that's just my opinion.

:cheers: here's to the GX470 :lol:

[ I never did test drive an Escalade (I'm not interested on them). Lexus beat the competition hands down, well that's just my opinion.

'

Well I had an Escalade in fact I owned 2 ( 2003 and 2005) I did like the 2003 but as for the 2005 I was never really happy with it. On the highway it handled well and drove nice but the finish work on the truck left a lot to be desired. We traded in the 2005 on the GX 470 (2006 new) We were worried at first about the size since we only owned large SUV's 16 in all. But that soon was resolved.

I'm not worred at all anymore. I love the truck. I feel that I have made a wise choice with this truck. We did get this truck loaded and as for the ride and the handling It's just as good if not better then the Escalade. We do have the "clunk" and I'm on the list to have that fixed but clunk and all I would pick the truck again.

As for improvment to this truck. I would like to see a power hatch, power folding mirrors, a navigation system that will understand the voice command and not just tell you that the truck has it but it will really work. I would like the passager seat to have more settings, rear heated seats. I would like the truck to come equiped with remote start also or at least have an option for this. I guess we will see what the 2009 will have in it since this model is slated for a change that year.

After owning this Lexus for almost 2 months now I can say I would make the same choice.

Sami

I also used to own Escalade 2004 and ESV Platinum 2005. They both

are good trucks but I do not think ESV Platinum is worth $70,000.-.

GM are anyway GM even though they make super luxuary vehicle....

However, Lexus(Toyota) make really good quality. GX is really worth

its price with no doubt.

Plus quality difference between Toyota and Lexus is DEFINITELY defined. My 4Runner doesnt seem as tight and "rattle free" as my GX and it only has about 3,500 miles, vs my 47,000miles GX. Unlike the Escalade, and GM, even though they have a Cadillac badge, quality is only as good as a Chevy or GMC.

Hi, I just purchased an 06 GX470 and I'm familiar with this "clunk" thanks to you guys. So my question to you is if I'm buying a new car should I tell them to order the parts for me, or wait and see when it starts happening? Might the car come with the new driveshaft and control arms? Well if you guys could let me know, I would greatly appretiate it.

Welcome and Congrats on the incoming new GX. To answer your question, wait for the clunk to appear. Since you're buying an 06, IT SHOULD come with the updated driveshaft and control arms, but you never know. The dealer will not let you order the parts in advance because no one knows if the vehicle will have it. ;)

Greetings. I bought a brand new 06 GX. I had the clunk and tried to have it fixed. The parts were back ordered for a month. After I called the dealer several times to find out when my GX would be fixed, they finally said that parts did come in for some other GX and the owner didn't respond to have them installed. They used those parts and installed them on my GX. After about 1500 miles, no clunk......however......I have a "bucking" when going up a hill in 4th gear.

I have had problems with the nav screen, climate control and audio going out and other odd noises. I would love for Lexus to buy my GX from me.

Nica, have you already received any information about ETA of the parts

for fixing clunk? It seems that there's the updated driveshaft ready but

the rear control arms are still back order. I do not know if this is a really

truth or not and the situation is still same that I am left in the dark.

They have stop making 4runners with rear air suspension for now to try to catch up on production of these rear control arms for the new GX and the TSB. I guess Lexus / Toyota are really having production issues.

Yes. It sounds like so.... Updated rear control arms have once been produced but they all had to be scrapped due to some problem found.

Therefore Lexus cannot tell the ETA for them since they need to be

produced and tested again.

I heard of a CTS that'sa bout 2kmiles old, and has some tranny lining or something break, and was in the shop for a week! yup, 2k miles old. :wacko: :)

I bought a new 2004 CTS in 3/2004. It had all sorts of problems that to this day, have still not been addressed by cadillac on new production. The biggest one was a rear differential problem that manifested itself in an ever increasing whine from the rear end. Eventually, some of those differentials siezed up or broke apart. That problem was there from day one of production as a 2003 model, and the 2006 model owners are still reporting the trouble in the cadillac forum I frequent..with no fix from cadillac.

I finally gave up with cadillac after 6 months and 4700 miles, drive down the street and traded it in on my new GX470. I am MUCH happier with my Lexus. I have now had it over two years, and have had nothing go wrong with it at all. Not even a squeek or rattle.

My throughts exactly TM8000. I was told that by the end of the month of October I should be able to get the fix for the clunk done and I had a conversation with the parts manager again and this time he didn't sound so positive or confident. He told me that same thing, Toyota needs to run more tests and is not realeasing any parts just yet.

I'm going to meet with the parts manager tomorrow so I may get more details. I'll keep you posted as to what I'm told.

Yes. It sounds like so.... Updated rear control arms have once been produced but they all had to be scrapped due to some problem found.

Therefore Lexus cannot tell the ETA for them since they need to be

produced and tested again.

Does that mean that all the new lower control arms they have already put in are no good?

The G Man, I really wonder what is really truth.....

When I sent a complaint to the Parts and Service Director of the

Lexus dealership a few days ago, he called me up and explained

about the production problem of the rear control arms. What

makes me frustrated is that Lexus was still not able to tell me

ETA.

If what they are telling us is the turth, which I dont have any reason to believe that it is not, then thumbs up to Lexus for quality control. It just make me wonder about the lower control arms they have already release into the new production GX and the TSB.

yikes, are you guys telling me that there is a possibility that these control arms that some of us had replaced with the latest (now cancelled)TSB will cause some problems down the road? I hope not. I only have about 2,500miles/2months left on my warranty! :chairshot:

yikes, are you guys telling me that there is a possibility that these control arms that some of us had replaced with the latest (now cancelled)TSB will cause some problems down the road? I hope not. I only have about 2,500miles/2months left on my warranty! :chairshot:

All I know denslexusgx470 is, I drove a 2005 Ford Explorer to San Diego from Claremont. There was no "clunk", no odd noises, no bucking or surging up hills, there was no shifting from 5th to 4th over and over again, like some have complained, even going up small grades(I have that problem too) and the Ford had 15,000 miles on it. My GX470 has 4200 miles on it and it has been to the shop 5 times already! The Explorer has not had 1 day in the shop, other than oil changes. I own a 2001 LS 430. It has not had 1 day in the shop for any repairs, no 1 and it has 50,000 miles on it. The Lexus did not put it's best foot forward when it produced the GX 470. Maybe we should call it the TSB 470..........

Hi gang,

Well I got good news from my end, I met with the service manager and the parts manager on October 27 and I was told that all my parts are in for fixing the so called "clunk". I explained to the service manager that I did not want anyone tampering with the standard height setting. The service manager assured and wrote it down that no one will temper with the factory height of the vehicle. The manager elaborated that should someone tamper with the height adjustment the entire alignment of the vehicle will be distorted and probably not handle very well.

The only reason why I even brought this up with the service manager is because I read of someone who's GX went in to get the "clunk" fixed and wile changing the shaft they changed the setting of the factory height setting.

Well I asked the service manager why the parts took so long to receive, at first the service manager said that it was because Toyota had to run some test but then he concluded that the tests are on going and that Toyota will soon start to mass produce the parts and should they will be made available "soon". The unfortunate thing is that a date or an approximate date was not given because the parts manager did not know. Looks like Toyota is not giving the dealerships any further information as to the time frame of the parts delivery. Seems though that from time to time Toyota will release some parts to dealerships and I know it has been said here before but just keep checking with your dealership.

One thing though I wished that the dealership would stop doing is making this "clunk" sound like it's no big deal. That irritates me a little, I mean how would they feel if you purchased a $76K (Canadian money) and found that you have a "clunk"? Yes, I know that in no way the "clunk" prohibits the vehicle from being driven but I just hate the fact that I dished out so much money to settle for a "clunk". I don't like settling for anything, I know there is no perfect vehicle out there but to me I purchased the LEXUS GX470 because in my opinion it's as close to perfection as a Luxury SUV will get to...keep in mind that this is just my opinion and not all of you may feel the same way.

Having said that I will give credit where it belongs, Toyota is trying to fix the problem and as many of you know it probably took Toyota some time (3 years or so) to resolve the issue but at least they are going that extra mile and effort to resolve the error...and that is why I purchased this vehicle...it's not perfect but there is no such thing as "perfect" and besides it's a Toyota and they have the knowledge and experience on how to build a good vehicle....well that's just my opinion.

I just thought I’d share the good news with you guys and what I was told by my dealership. For those of you that are on the waiting list I hope this sheds some light.

All I know denslexusgx470 is, I drove a 2005 Ford Explorer to San Diego from Claremont. There was no "clunk", no odd noises, no bucking or surging up hills, there was no shifting from 5th to 4th over and over again, like some have complained, even going up small grades(I have that problem too) and the Ford had 15,000 miles on it. My GX470 has 4200 miles on it and it has been to the shop 5 times already! The Explorer has not had 1 day in the shop, other than oil changes. I own a 2001 LS 430. It has not had 1 day in the shop for any repairs, no 1 and it has 50,000 miles on it. The Lexus did not put it's best foot forward when it produced the GX 470. Maybe we should call it the TSB 470..........

Yes it does seem disappointing that a nice, and expensive vehicle like the GX has this problem. But let's put it this way. Go visit a BMW or Benz forum, and they will have a whole shopping list of problems that most owners experience. If we ever read their problems, we'd probably feel bad that we complain too much about this clunk, that isn't a safety issue in the first place! ;) :)

I am fairly critical and sensitive to things related to my car. I notice every little noise, squeak, rattle, vibration, etc. I can honestly say that the driveline works perfectly now that the parts have been replaced under the old TSB. I have put over 5000 miles on these parts and the car drives perfectly, quietly, and smoothly. It operates exactly as you'd expect a Lexus to operate.

A few people have asked this same question on this thread, but I haven't seen a response. With the problems Lexus/Toyota have identified with the parts, does this mean that those of us who already had the TSB fix completed will have problems down the line? If so, what kind of problems? What kind of defects did they find in these parts?

Very simple. Trade the GX in on an 07 Explorer. I'm sure the Ford dealer would have to write you a check for the difference cince the GX would be worth more than a new Explorer. Just keep in mind that as soon as the Explorer leaves the dealers lot, it just lost $20,000. worth of value.

I used to drive Lincoln Navigator which was very unreliable and

broke down easily, noisy, not smooth ride. Also, the value dropped

unbelievably fast same like Escalade. I purchased pre-owned ESV

Platinum @$47,000 and I traded it in @$30,000 after 6 months

(10,000mi). I lost a lot of money as a fee for learning about it.

I dreamed of American car before I came to the U.S. from Japan,

and I drove both Navigator and Escalade. Now I learnt why people

say negative things about American car. I used to drive Toyota when

I was in Japan and now I returned to Toyota(Lexus GX470).