Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

• 2 weeks later...

100% covered under warranty.

I called them in advance and told them of the problem and asked that they order the parts ahead of time so I only would have to make on trip to the dealership for the repair. (As opposed to taking it in, having them assess the issue, then order the parts and have me return on a future visit for their installation.) As always, they gave me a loaner, offered free snacks and drinks, cleaned my car inside and out, and treated me with the utmost respect.

Despite having a pretty major design flaw, the rest of the car and the dealership service have won me over for life!

thank you for the prompt response. I called dealer and they said they would need to evaluate the parts needed for some reason so i made an apptmnt for this week. They also said they might have the parts in-stock so i can only hope. I too love this vehicle, had v8 touareg before with air suspension etc and no way does it compare in performance and ride as our GX470 with sprt package. Wife loves it. I knew about the clunk before buying but confided that one day Toyota would uphold it's name by FIXING it. We shall see as others have stated about the whole "TIME WILL TELL" thing.

I knew about the clunk before buying but confided that one day Toyota would uphold it's name by FIXING it.

True, but it took them 3 years to get a permanent fix. So far, i think this is like their 5th or 6th attempt, and I've been thru all of them. Hopefully and so far, no one has complained about this new TSB. Good luck on your service :)

True, but it took them 3 years to get a permanent fix. So far, i think this is like their 5th or 6th attempt, and I've been thru all of them. Hopefully and so far, no one has complained about this new TSB. Good luck on your service :)

3 Years is not bad, considering this problem is not a safety issue. I know of many many other manufacturers that had problem which they refuse to address until the re-design. I think we should give Lexus credit for their try after try to fix this problem. You can almost bet that 95% of the manufacturers out their would not go that extra mile like Lexus did.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a new driveshaft installed and about 6k miles later, the clunk came back. At first the dealer said it was being caused by a water bottle rolling around under the driver's seat (from a competing Lexus dealer, no less!). I had them pick the truck up to re-assess their conclusion and they replaced the shaft and control arms. So far, so good. I'll give it another few thousand miles to see if it comes back. Hopefully, this will do the trick and end the clunk issues for all of us!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just purchased an 06 GX470 and I'm familiar with this "clunk" thanks to you guys. So my question to you is if I'm buying a new car should I tell them to order the parts for me, or wait and see when it starts happening? Might the car come with the new driveshaft and control arms? Well if you guys could let me know, I would greatly appretiate it.

• Like 1

Hi, I just purchased an 06 GX470 and I'm familiar with this "clunk" thanks to you guys. So my question to you is if I'm buying a new car should I tell them to order the parts for me, or wait and see when it starts happening? Might the car come with the new driveshaft and control arms? Well if you guys could let me know, I would greatly appretiate it.

Welcome and Congrats on the incoming new GX. To answer your question, wait for the clunk to appear. Since you're buying an 06, IT SHOULD come with the updated driveshaft and control arms, but you never know. The dealer will not let you order the parts in advance because no one knows if the vehicle will have it. ;)

Welcome and Congrats on the incoming new GX. To answer your question, wait for the clunk to appear. Since you're buying an 06, IT SHOULD come with the updated driveshaft and control arms, but you never know. The dealer will not let you order the parts in advance because no one knows if the vehicle will have it. ;)

Thank you for the advise. Any pointers as to the type of "clunk" I should be expecting. I mean some people have said it feels as though the person behind you gives you a gentle tap, other say it's almost like a little slip when coming to a complete stop, others have said that when they accelerate it's a soft thump sound. Well I'm sure that I will notice it when I feel it, but I don't want to be paranoid about it. what I mean is I don't want to be driving with the radio off and constantly in the look out of a "clunk" :unsure::unsure::unsure: . I have reasearched the GX470 for almost two years :geek: and I have heard great things about the vehicle. I have also heard people knock the vehicle and...well in my opinion the good overwelms the bad :cheers: ....but that's just my opinion. I'm looking forward on recieving my new baby, I get it on Wednesday September 06 at 7:00PM :lol: .

well any pointers you or anyone can give me I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Nica, you will surely enjoy it. It's us 03-05 owners that took the hit on the problems. Took Lexus a few years before they got a permanent fix. Once it's fixed up (like mine) you'll just enjoy the smooth V8 of this vehicle. ;) :cheers:

hey denslexusqx470

I have a question for you, I'm still new at this so I hope people don't mind me asking.

Well I finally got my GX470 and I have two questions for you.

1. When you put the vehicle in reverse are both mirrors supposed to tilt downward?

2. When you insert a DVD disk for the rear entertainment, how can you make so that it can be heard on the speakers not on the headphones only?

thank you,

Carlos

hey denslexusqx470

I have a question for you, I'm still new at this so I hope people don't mind me asking.

1. When you put the vehicle in reverse are both mirrors supposed to tilt downward?

2. When you insert a DVD disk for the rear entertainment, how can you make so that it can be heard on the speakers not on the headphones only?

thank you,

Carlos

I can only answer one of your questions as I don't have DVD. Regarding your side mirrors, they can be turned off. I know your side mirror switch must be in either L or R and that's what activates your automatic reverse tilt mirrors. Just put the switch in the middle, and they won't tilt.

As for the DVD, it must be in the owner's manual but sorry to say I have no idea on that question. It's okay to post questions that other people might consider "absurd" because we were all newbies on this vehicle at one point. ;) :cheers:

hey denslexusqx470

thank you,

Carlos

To hear the DVD through the audio speakers, simply press the "CD" button on the stereo unit until it cycles through to the DVD player. The same can be done with the steering wheel button. Just press it multiple times until the desired audio source cycles through on the screen.

Thank you both for your assitance. I'm really enjoying my GX470 and I'm still trying to give my new baby a name.....I haven't come up with anything good just yet....but the more I drive it something will come to me.

This may be an odd question but do any of you name your cars?

Thank you both for your assitance. I'm really enjoying my GX470 and I'm still trying to give my new baby a name.....I haven't come up with anything good just yet....but the more I drive it something will come to me.

This may be an odd question but do any of you name your cars?

Sure,

Here's my list:

05 Gx470 - Lexi

00 Covette - Maggy (Magnetic red color)

72 Chevelle Convt. - Shellie

69 Camaro - Yellow Fellow (color)

69 Camaro - Pacer (pace car)

65 Corvette - Summer (license is Summer -XX, Year I graduated from HS)

63 Avanti - Stude

57 Chevy - Blacky (Color)

57 Chevy - Lady (Short for grand old lady)

You know, that's a really nice idea. I've never really given names for any of the cars. So far this is what I call them:

97 Odyssey - Ody

03 GX470- GX

06 4Runner - (ok here's one) GX Wanabe

:)

Those a nice names...here is what I got so far:

06 GX470 - ...so far Nica

03 RSX Type S - Lola

95 Volvo 960 - Luna (means moon in Spanish)

92 Jeep - Lolo

Perhaps not as high end of vehicles are what some of you own or have owned but considering my age...that's not bad hehehe

:D that is definitely good news.

3JBS and everyone else reading this that has gone through the tsb can you please provide some input as to how your vehicle is holding out please.

I have just purchased a new 06 GX470 and I'm starting to know what all of you were talking about...I spoke to the service manager at the dealership and he didn't even hesitate to order the parts, he jus told me to bring it in on October 2nd and they would replace all parts....I'm a little nervous about anyone getting near the car so having someone working on a brand new vehicle makes me extremely edgy :wacko:

Well I have been reading lots about this tsb and I have heard nothing but positive feed back about it....so far. I did hear of someone complaining about the height of the vehicle not being the same after the tsb was completed. That was just one person because no one else complained about the height....I'm definitely going to take every precaution before I bring it to the dealership :geek:

For those that have had the tsb done for the "clunk/thump" if you could please give me some pointers before I go to the dealership. I've been driving the vehicle to work and every time I come to a stop at a red light it sounds like a "clunk"...yes...yes... :angry: ..like as though the vehicles rear end got tapped from behind (typical from what I've read).

Well I'm still a little hesitant about taking it in to the dealership and have the tsb done, that is why I'm asking for some feed back from anyone that has gone through what I'm going through...please and thank you in advance.

Nica, relax. If your GX has the clunk, go ahead and fix it. If it doesn't, congratulations. It may or may not come up but I suggest waiting for it to appear before going in to fix it. Make sure it is the clunk. By the way you described your experience, it didn't seem like a serious clunk. Wait for it to consistently come up and then go ahead with the TSB. Besides, you have what, 49,000 miles till end of warranty?? lol ;)

So far, I think I've been driving about 3k miles on the new TSB and no clunk for me either.

I also have had good results with the TSB on my 2005. The ride and handling also seems to be tighted up a bit which is a good thing. The rear ride height is adjustable although it needs a measurement tool from the dealer. Just make it clear to the dealer that you want to make sure he maintains the stock height.

I purchased certified pre-owned 2003 GX470 with 51,500 mi on 9/9 from

Lexus dealership. Right after I started to drive, I noticed so called "clunk".

I did not pay attention to it when I test drived, though... After I learnt the

fact of the clunk from all of you in this Forum, I took my car to the same

dealership for repair. Service person told me exactly what I expected.

"We need to order the updated drive shaft" Obviously Lexus knew that this

car had a clunk problem unfixed yet, but they certified it.

Service guy said this drive shaft is long back order and I may have to wait

for a few months!!!! I am not happy but I really believe that my vehicle will

be perfectly fixed when this updated drive shaft got available after a few months.....

Can somebody tell me whether it won't be a big help if I ask the other Lexus

dealership in the same area to check the inventory of this parts? If one dealership

has no inventory, the others also have nothing in stock? Or, is it worth trying?

Sounds like the "clunk" might be a thing of the past. I have been drilling the service manager and he's been telling me lots about this "clunk". Within my area, there have been only three vehicles that have received the tsb and they have not returned with any concerns.

Well I knew about this "clunk" before I purchased the car and I still purchased it because I believe in the product. I'm very pleased of the height of the vehicle and I'm very happy to see Toyota/Lexus step up to fix the issue.

I have to admit that my Lexus dealership has been treating me really well. I can understand why people keep coming back to Lexus. Not do they provide a great product but have great service. Well at least that’s been my experience.

Well if any of you GX470 owners could please keep me/us posted of the tsb and if there are any further complains please share the frustration....I'm really curious about what other owners are going through.

:cheers: