Latest Tsb Released For "clunk"

trebien

FYI -

I went to my dealer today and my service advisor noted that there was a TSB released by Lexus today for the clunking driveshaft. I asked him what it entailed, and he mentioned many parts like rear connecting links and so forth... not simply "lube the driveshaft".

We'll see, as more info becomes available. Maybe Lexus finally stepped up to the plate to provide a real solution.

Edited by denslexusgx470

I was just advised by my service advisor that it is a completely newly designed drive shaft and assembly that will cure the thump. The parts have been ordered! My '05 with 14,000 miles has had the shaft lubed 4 times.

I have an '06 with about 6k miles on it. I have noticed the clunk now a few times and seems to be getting more frequent.

Does anyone know if this TSB applies to all GX model years, or only certain ones? Is it necessary for the dealer to try the other fixes (lubrication, machining the splines) before the driveline is replaced?

I was just advised by my service advisor that it is a completely newly designed drive shaft and assembly that will cure the thump. The parts have been ordered! My '05 with 14,000 miles has had the shaft lubed 4 times.

Let us know how it goes. I am also experiencing it intermittently but not as bad as some people described it. I have an 04 model with 21K on it.

Thanks.

Let us know how it goes. I am also experiencing it intermittently but not as bad as some people described it. I have an 04 model with 21K on it.

Thanks.

They said it will take 4 to 6 weeks for the parts to arrive.

This applies to all model years.

We traded in our '03 for an '05 on the promise they had fixed the drive shaft issue. Apparently nothing has really changed over the years until now.

I've been out of town, but had a message on my cell phone last week that the parts were in stock and ready to go... we'll see. Probably schedule within the next week or so... don't really want to be the "first". BTW - I have an 06 with ~5K miles on it.

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the dealer replaced mine on Tuesday and so far no clumping :) Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Had ours done too. So far it rides perfectly. Let's give it 3 to 5,000 miles to see if it is a fix.

It's done... and no more clunk. Granted, it does need to pass the test of time, but I'm not that worried.

I doubt Lexus would have invested the money and resources into creating thousands of sets of driveshafts and control arms if there was much of a chance it wouldn't work - this is an expensive repair between part costs and labor they have to pay the dealerships. They really don't want to do it twice.

Besides, they've had several YEARS to work on the problem and perfect the fix.

:P

hey guys update the rest of us here and mention ANY time the clunk comes up with this new tsb. if it completely solves the problem then i will have mine done also. i hope i hear good updates ASAP cuz my warranty's running out(44k miles) and am in the middle of a decision whether to mortgage this Gx after the lease is up or get a new one. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys update the rest of us here and mention ANY time the clunk comes up with this new tsb. if it completely solves the problem then i will have mine done also. i hope i hear good updates ASAP cuz my warranty's running out(44k miles) and am in the middle of a decision whether to mortgage this Gx after the lease is up or get a new one. ;)

My clunk was fixed via TSB 2+ weeks ago, and I just got back from a 3000 mile road trip - still no problems. I'm satisfied.

Can somoene look at their work order sheet and tell us what is the TSB # that relates to this? I had the rear driveshaft replaced around 5k a couple of yrs ago (MY04 GX), but the problem still occasionaly comes and goes. I'll take it in again and request that they replace driveshaft and rear control arms.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what mine says:

TSB DL001-06; DL5002 R&R Lower Control Arms, 874 WL 04006-09160 Control Arm Kit, RR; 37110-60A40 Shaft Assy, Propelle; 55099 Others

So far so good...very smooth!

I had the driveline and control arms replaced on my '06 GX yesterday. The clunk, which developed to a prominent issue over 9,000 miles, appears to be gone! Let's hope it stays that way over time!

Parts took over a month to arrive.

mine just came in the other day (finally) :wacko: .

Seems like it doesn't come up anymore, even by raising and lowering the suspension when the car's in D. (crossing fingers). Let's hope this 5th attempt of mine, IS THE LAST ATTEMPT! :blushing: ;)

In all the posts regarding the "clunk", I don't recall anything that correlated the clunk to the times the rear A/C is operating. When my grandson was here he apparently turned the rear A/C off (week ago) and I haven't had the clunk at all during that time. Turned it back on today and clunk is back. Seems to coincide with the throttle changing when the A/C compressor kicks off. ('05 GX with 6K.) I haven't talked to my dealer about it yet. Anyone heard of anything similar?

I hadn't used the rear a/c until last week and I had the clunk with it on and off. I didn't notice any correlation between the two. The driveline fix has resolved the problem so far. Now the car drives (and stops) is as smooth as any I've ever driven.

In all the posts regarding the "clunk", I don't recall anything that correlated the clunk to the times the rear A/C is operating. When my grandson was here he apparently turned the rear A/C off (week ago) and I haven't had the clunk at all during that time. Turned it back on today and clunk is back. Seems to coincide with the throttle changing when the A/C compressor kicks off. ('05 GX with 6K.) I haven't talked to my dealer about it yet. Anyone heard of anything similar?

i don't have rear a/c, and it still comes up. Does it come up to you guys, when using the a/c in the front?? :blink: