Converter Smell

obesa50

Lexus was finally able to fix the problem with sulfur smell. I was contacted by Lexus HQ in Calif, they scheduled appointment, sent parts and a technician to dealer, picked up car and it is fixed. Took a lot of screaming to get past their claim it was a gasoline problem, but at least its resolved. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what they did - but I believe it involved changing a gasket.

Now we will see if they can resolve thump that occurs when you come to a stop and turn-signal light that burns out repeatedly.

It also has to do with season. In winter they oxygenate the gas differently and it creates more excess sulfer. As summer approaches it wont be a big deal, the smell will go away.

Do you have Sunoco? Sunoco is supposed to be a low sulfer gas also...

I beg to differ. Lexus has put out a TSB on the sulfer smell and I just had it performed on mine. Seems that the gas theory was just to buy time.

• 6 years later...
It is trully unbelievable that Lexus dealers around the country are lying to us about something which obviously a flaw in there design.

Lexus is not lying and there is no design flaw. Practically every 2002 - 2004 on up Toyota and Honda exhibits the hydrogen sulfide smell if the owner is using gasoline with a high sulfur content.

Sometime around 2006 (plus or minus one year) low sulfur gasoline will phased in nationwide and the odor problem will disappear.

Also, the hydrogen sulfide smell is worse in cold weather. In the spring of 2003 the sulfur odor complaints deminished with the arrival of warmer weather.

If we have low sulfer gasoline now how come this is still a problem?

I have a 2008 ES 350. It is in the shop today in Houston and this sulfer smell has been a problem since the car was new. They tell me it's the gasoline I use. I have tried everything sold in Houston with no relief.

I had this same problem on my 2006 Avalon. Toyota replaced the catalytic convertor and the problem disappeared.

The question they cannot answer is this. The sulfer smell is in the exhaust, right? So if I am smelling it inside the cabin that means exhaust gasses are entering the car. Mine only does it on recirculate. If I put the AC on flow through I don't smell it when accelerating. I'm having them check it for a third time b/c warrenty is almost up. It's a lot of fun to have clients in the car after lunch and accelerate onto the freeway and it smell like someone farted. $50000 cars should not have this problem.

It is trully unbelievable that Lexus dealers around the country are lying to us about something which obviously a flaw in there design.

Lexus is not lying and there is no design flaw. Practically every 2002 - 2004 on up Toyota and Honda exhibits the hydrogen sulfide smell if the owner is using gasoline with a high sulfur content.

Sometime around 2006 (plus or minus one year) low sulfur gasoline will phased in nationwide and the odor problem will disappear.

Also, the hydrogen sulfide smell is worse in cold weather. In the spring of 2003 the sulfur odor complaints deminished with the arrival of warmer weather.

I have a ES350 and it is in the shop for work. I am complaining and told them about the sulfer smell again. This is the third time. I've had them tell me its the gasoline and also had the AC filter replaced. It only happens on hard acceleration and with the AC on recirculate. That tells me exhaust gases are getting into the car. Lexus advisors are stumped when I asked them to explain how the smell gets in the car and if it is getting in exhaust gases are getting in. I expect when I pick up the car tomorrow I will get the same song and dance.

My Avalon had this same problem. Toyota put a new cat conv. on under warranty and that was 5 years ago. Never had the smell again after that.