Seeking Tire recommendations for GS300

I have not been able to find many tire recommendations for the GS300. If any of you have information you would like to share, I would appreciate your help.

I am considering the Dunlop SP Sport 5000's on my stock wheels, but I am not familiar with Dunlop tires. I have read Yokohama's are well made. I live in the south, so snow performance is not important at all.

I would love to change the wheels, but can't afford to at this time, so I will be staying with the 215/60-16's unfortunately.

Thanks for any help!

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Have you tried www.tirerack.com ???? this is an excellent site because the tires they sell thru the mail give the buyer an opportunity to fill out an on-line survey after they have driven on their new tires. you get to see all of the responses, good and bad, they also can rate various things as wet traction, hydroplaning, etc. you can even see your Lex with different wheels on it. :lol:

I agree with marcus as far as researching what you want. I had the Dunlop Sports on a Mazda Millenia and they were the best wet traction tire I've ever had. The dry traction was excellent, but the Mazda couldn't push the tires to their limit. Ask in the sc 400 forum a guy named "calculatedrisk". He's a buddy of mine and has them on his Lexus.

• 1 month later...

You've probably long bought tires by now huh? ;)

If you're looking for a good smooth tire, then I say look for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H or LS-V. First thing I did when I got my ES was swap the wheels and tires to 16 inch GS300 wheels on these tires and the difference is night and day.

I've had experience with the SP Sport 5000s on another car and found them lacking, they wore really really fast and wound up scalloping after 15,000 miles or so.

• 3 months later...

Although we've only had the stock crap tires on my brother's 99 gs300 from the date of purchase to when we turned it in, I'm very happy with Dunlop SP Sport A2's on my '96 maxima. slightly different car dynamics, but they are close in weight (~400 lbs) and size. I've been very happy with these tires. Excellent wet traction, amazing dry performance and admirable light snow traction. don't even try that in a gs with the stock tires. the A2's are fairly inexpensive too...

I guess the tire question comes down to what experiences we personaly have had with various manufactures of tires. I have had dunlops and have not been happy about using them. I have had many types of tires, but from my personal experience the Toyo proxis are what i like to run. Sorry i will get off the soap box. :D :D :cheers:

From what I know, the So-3's are a great tire but I have no experience with them.. I have Toyo T1-S's.. Also, if your staying with your factory 16's you don't have to stay with the factory sized tire.. You can go with a 225/60/16 to widen the tire and it will fit.. Also you can lessen the profile going with a 225/55/16.. You see with that setup and some H&R spacers to widen the wheelbase you'll have better road feel and much better stability....