Gs300 Supercharger/turbo

turbo will get you more horse power, but turbo won't kick in for a while, supercharger will kick in faster so u get a better acceleration, but i doesn't push as many p.s.i. as a turbo, they both work the same way so your engine will be damage in the same way, but you have a 2JZ motor, so i think that the turbo will work better with it.

I dont know much about cars. But i do know the difference in Turbo and Supercharging. Turbos will give much more flexibilty with the setup, they allow you to change PSI and that is a very big plus. If your gonna be using the car for daily driving lower psi is better, for the track a higher psi would be better. Superchargers only allow a certain psi, changing the belts on the superchager will give you a little more power, but not like a Turbo. If you are planning on doing this, make sure you read up, there are many things you can break. When i say read up, i dont just mean this website, make sure you read and know about turbos and how they work, same with SC. Superchargers also, like everyone said, give you instant power, where as turbos work off the exhaust. But when a turbo does kick in, its awesome, especially around 20 or 25 psi, haha. If you are gonna turbo or SC a gs, be careful not to over load the tranny, From the info TurboGS300 gave me, i figure our tranny can safetly handle between 350 and 400 horses, and thats about as much power one needs. If you get a Turbo, u can figure at keeping it around 10 or below psi, if you dont change the tranny, among other things. The 2JZ-GE block is very strong, it can handle alot more power than the tranny can. As far as i know the 2nd gen GS tranny is the same as the first gen, not sure, but i think. If it was my car, i would defently turbo it, that way, in the future, i will be able to add more mods and make it faster. Many people do not believe the GS is built for speed, but at its heart is a 2JZ-GE, i mean, its a supra but fatter, lol. Anyway, I do plan on getting my car turboed, but not till next year sometime, by then i should have the extra money. Some people may choose the SC, but IMO, the turbo is the way to go. Good luck to anyone doing the mods, and post some pics if you do.

Superchargers only allow a certain psi, changing the belts on the superchager will give you a little more power, but not like a Turbo. If you are planning on doing this, make sure you read up, there are many things you can break. When i say read up, i dont just mean this website, make sure you read and know about turbos and how they work, same with SC. Superchargers also, like everyone said, give you instant power, where as turbos work off the exhaust.

you mean changing the pulley's... not the belt. changing the belt would only change the tension, not the RPM of the turbines.

And the instant boost for S/C only applies for Whipplechargers. Corkscrew type and centrifugal S/C's rely on RPM to generate boost, much like Turbo's. Of course, S/C turbine only needs around 50k-75k RPM to obtain sufficient boost, while Turbo's require 150k-300k RPM for sufficient boost (rule of thumb, different numbers for different applications), so in that sense, S/C will generally provide boost faster.

Depending on the intake design of the 2jz, you may be able to install a corkscrew type and definitely a centrifugal S/C with some work. Whipplechargers, that'll require hood cutting :)

• 2 years later...
Turbo is the only way to go.  Get a nice size T04e with a conservative set-up a la f-max or toyomoto style.  Two auxillary injectors and better fuel pump.  Tuned for 300 or so plus easy - reliable horsepower on tap.  Good luck.

Oh yea - must definitely do the torque converter if nothing else.  Tranny cooler for extra measure = whole new slush box fun.

What kind of long term wear and tear/harm, etc does this do to the car? What other problems are likely to manifest?

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll run into the same problems of all turbo cars. Engine runs hotter, oil leakage comes sooner than stock engine, engine will suffer detonation ocassionally, messing up the pistons, piston rings, valves and spark plugs. Added power strains the stock tranny, differentials. You'll have to change those oils sooner.

There's a host of problems associated with turbo'ing your car with aftermarket stuff. If you really need the power, don't turbo the stock GS300, get a Supra Turbo engine (2JZGTE). That'll get you an automatic 320hp engine with potential to add more a lot safely. The engine was made by TRD directly, and can withstand 500hp on stock trim.

I'm looking into buying a 98-05 GS300 w/ 200,000+ mi on it soon so I can do that swap. I know the motor came stock in the Aristo, and in all of the posts I've read, it doesn't seem like much trouble to do it (granted that it's still a swap, but you get the idea). What I want to know is if the 6 sp. will mate up alright? I realize there's no such thing as one of these being a manual here in the states and I'll have to convert it, but will it replace the stock tranny w/o shortening driveshafts or whatever?

I've been reading up on this thread. There are a couple of small misconceptions, and few facts that just need to be straightened out.

First, while the supercharger does still obtain boost quicker then a turbo, the new ball bearing design, along with the improved impeller designs spool up faster than ever before. And with all the latest technology out, such as boost controllers and better engine mapping, the turbo has come a long way in a very short time. When HKS introduced the very first commercial consumer add on Turbo, it was a very crude design, yet still raised the bench mark considerably.

The Supercharger is an effective power adder. I have superchargerd several cars and trucks. The thing is as mentioned there are several types of superchargers. While the Whipple design offers boost sooner in the rev range, it's a very ineffeceint design. And it requires more lbs. of boost to obtain the same HP as other designs. Also, they are different in that the PSI is actually created in the cylinder as opposed to in the unit itself. ( A centrifugal creates the psi in the unit and the air is forced into the cylinder. Think of a compressor, The Whipple type is like the compressor motor packing air into the reserve tank. A centrifugal and turbo is like opening the air hose on the other end after the tank is compressed.)

So, for daily driving as someone mentioned that a supercharger is better for daily driving. I disagree with that. As a turbo only kicks in when I want it to. If I drive normally with an even foot, then the turbo never even comes up. Where as the supercharger is a constant load on the engine. The belt is an additional parasitic drag that you lug around with you at all RPM's. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've had belt peel,( Where the belt spins up over the pulley) , and you allways have belt issues. Though they are continually working on a better belt).

Some other things to consider, and this is probably the biggest misconseption I often see. No matter if you Turbo or Supercharge, the reliability issues, and problems allways come from...............................the tuner. Not the equipment. Most tuners just tune for horsepower and torque. The more they can show, the happier you are. Never mind that he leaned you air fuel mix to the edge of detonation, and advanced or retarded your timing x degrees to prevent instant explosions, and pumped the boost level to insane levels. That's where you run into issues. You have to know your tuner. And be able to comunicate that you don't want it tuned to squeeze out every last pony you can find. My set up is capable of alot more hp then I have it tuned for. So have it tuned with reliability and extended motor life in mind.( Which is another reason turbo is better,LOL!!)

Of course we are talking about the 2 JZGE motor that comes with stock forged connectors and crank. And runs a 10:1 compression ratio. ( Funny note, both the Supra 2 JZGTE and the 2JGZE motors have cast pistons though.) So, in this set up, a turbo,supercharger, along with an intercooler and a few other periphrials, and your set. This motor has been proven time and time again to handle 3 to 4 times it's stock power output. If you want to go over 400 HP, then a tranny swap to either the V160, (10k $ Tranny!!!!), or the much more affordable V-161 or R 154.

Then next thing I think tends to get alittle confused are two different types of enthusiasts. There is the car buyer. These like to just go out and buy a fast car or a nice car, or maybe even a nice fast car that someone else built. And then there is the car builder. This person likes to take a car, for whatever reason he likes that car, and transforms it into a vision. There are different levels of each type of person. A car buyer will obviuosly have to stay within his or her budget. and a car builder may do different levels of modifications on thier car. In all cases, I think you need to determine whether your a buyer or a builder. ( Personnally, I can't think of many nicer feelings than smokin a 150K Bentley GT with my little IS 300. Even better is the surprised look on that Mustang GT driver as I pull away like they were standing still!!!, Iv'e even had the pleasure of spanking a new IS350,,," BBBBUt I thought the new IS350 was faster???" LOL!)

Anyway, back on subject, you can have turbo or supercharger and not give any reliability if you go about it the right way. Case in point, Porsche, Audi, and counltess others that use turbos very reliably, and Benz, and BMW and many others that use superchargers reliably. They are the same components, and in most cases, the aftermarket actually has a higher quality offering.

• 3 weeks later...
The answer is really simple, but not one you probably want to hear. You drive a lexus not a sports car. If you want more performance, go buy a sports car. That's why I have a GS300 and a Corvette. One is for *plush* driving, one is for performance.

That is correct.. that's not what I wanted to hear. Anything can be accomplished.

If i wanted to I could simply sell the car and buy a 'Benz E55. I simply want to stick with my GS because i truly _love_ my car.

Throw a turbo kit on that bad boy and kick some @!#.

As fun as a blower would be on my GS300, and I've thought alot about it, I'd rather just go buy a GS400 and be done with it. That would have more than sufficient git-up-n-go for me, and for what it'd cost to mod my GS300, I could just trade up.

'course, that goes against the grain of true gearheads ;) I did, afterall, hop up a '71 Pinto 4-banger many years ago.

Yeah, well, then you could do an badge mod. LOL!!! just put a 300 badge on and take the 400 off.

I have to tell you though,,,Man it sure did feel good woopin up on a BMW M3. I mean just plain toying with em!!!

Hi,

Have some questions for you all. I've read through the forums already and have yet to see anyone come to an actual agreement/conclusion (but have learned a decent bit..) so hopefully I can gather a bit more information with this thread....

I have a 2002 GS300 SportDesign (Graphite/Black Int).. this is my second GS, i had a '98 before it. I love my car, but i'm really deciding the performance is lackluster. I'm at the point where i'm ready to sell the car (within the family!) and purchase something quicker, unless I can establish a proven/stable solution for some serious performance enhancement beforehand.

I know SRT offer both supercharger and turbo kits - has anyone had any good/bad experiences with these on the GS_300_, and what would you recommend? Is it worth the money, or should I start looking elsewhere if performance (and stability/longevity) are a concern? Simply put.. i'm not looking for something that I can take out to races every weekend, but I am looking for solution with a _lot_ more get-up-and-go for every day driving. This is where my real question regarding the supercharger/turbo comes in - eg, which would be better for this scenario, and to also LAST and be least likely to cause any damage mechanically?

Hopefully you guys can help, from what i've seen so far.. theres some pretty knowledgable people in here. ;)

If you need any further info.. let me know!

Thanks!

hi ref to your performance question, i own a japanese version 3 litre engine lexus GS 300 ( its called as aristo) but this comes with twin turbo engine known as 2JZ GTE engine ,you find this engine in toyota supra also , and i feel it the same engine minus the turbo is what you have , if its the engine code is 2JZGE then you can get the entire twin turbo kit with intercooler ,exhaust & engine management ( ECU ) unit and walbro fuel pump unit with a higher capacity output should do a perfect job .for more info you can as well browse mkiv.com ( its supra forum for sourcing the parts )bye

As fun as a blower would be on my GS300, and I've thought alot about it, I'd rather just go buy a GS400 and be done with it. That would have more than sufficient git-up-n-go for me, and for what it'd cost to mod my GS300, I could just trade up.

'course, that goes against the grain of true gearheads ;) I did, afterall, hop up a '71 Pinto 4-banger many years ago.

IMO, there isn't a good enough blower kit out there for the GS300. They always leave you wanting more power. And for that matter you're pretty much stuck with what you get with a blower-no room for improvement. SRT hands down offers the most complete turbo kits available for the GS300. You could build your kit but these guys spent a lot of time and research to put together a complete kit (less low compressuin pistons) comprised of parts that actually work together. Check this one out: http://www.swiftracing.com/turbochargers/l...00/stage275.htm

This one is for the IS, but can be adapted very easily to fit the GS. Believe me, I have searhed and searched for kits over the last two or three years and this one is the best I've seen. Some might say, "I'll just swap in a JDM 2JZGTE VVTi". Great idea, but will only get you the factory rated 280HP. For the money you spend for an Aristo front clip less install labor, it will be about the same or more for a good turbo kit. Let's see...for around 7k I could get 280HP (swap) or 450-500HP (Turbo kit)...A no brainer IMO.