Gs300 Supercharger/turbo

Hi,

Have some questions for you all. I've read through the forums already and have yet to see anyone come to an actual agreement/conclusion (but have learned a decent bit..) so hopefully I can gather a bit more information with this thread....

I have a 2002 GS300 SportDesign (Graphite/Black Int).. this is my second GS, i had a '98 before it. I love my car, but i'm really deciding the performance is lackluster. I'm at the point where i'm ready to sell the car (within the family!) and purchase something quicker, unless I can establish a proven/stable solution for some serious performance enhancement beforehand.

I know SRT offer both supercharger and turbo kits - has anyone had any good/bad experiences with these on the GS_300_, and what would you recommend? Is it worth the money, or should I start looking elsewhere if performance (and stability/longevity) are a concern? Simply put.. i'm not looking for something that I can take out to races every weekend, but I am looking for solution with a _lot_ more get-up-and-go for every day driving. This is where my real question regarding the supercharger/turbo comes in - eg, which would be better for this scenario, and to also LAST and be least likely to cause any damage mechanically?

Hopefully you guys can help, from what i've seen so far.. theres some pretty knowledgable people in here. ;)

If you need any further info.. let me know!

Thanks!

it's simple....get the gs400/430  :) !  might be cheaper if you would just sell the 300 and get the gs4 series!!!

Well.. thats the thing - I like my car because it's the SportDesign trim, the GS itself is too 'plain' inside, so if I did sell mine, i'd probably move on .... :( (If lexus had a GS430 SportDesign, I would have gotten it..)

I want to trade your GS for my Lancer Evolution VIII.  :P

So, no comments on my question? ;)

I feel your pain skitzo :( for the money that was paid for the G3 they should of made it a more powerful car especially when you can buy a car 10K cheaper car that is a hell of a lot quicker. What about hold your horses till mid next year see how the new GS looks and make a decision from there. I heard rumors that they will have Sport Design trim for both models. I am holding off on all mods until then.

:cheers:

Hi,

Have some questions for you all. I've read through the forums already and have yet to see anyone come to an actual agreement/conclusion (but have learned a decent bit..) so hopefully I can gather a bit more information with this thread....

I have a 2002 GS300 SportDesign (Graphite/Black Int).. this is my second GS, i had a '98 before it. I love my car, but i'm really deciding the performance is lackluster. I'm at the point where i'm ready to sell the car (within the family!) and purchase something quicker, unless I can establish a proven/stable solution for some serious performance enhancement beforehand.

I know SRT offer both supercharger and turbo kits - has anyone had any good/bad experiences with these on the GS_300_, and what would you recommend? Is it worth the money, or should I start looking elsewhere if performance (and stability/longevity) are a concern? Simply put.. i'm not looking for something that I can take out to races every weekend, but I am looking for solution with a _lot_ more get-up-and-go for every day driving. This is where my real question regarding the supercharger/turbo comes in - eg, which would be better for this scenario, and to also LAST and be least likely to cause any damage mechanically?

Hopefully you guys can help, from what i've seen so far.. theres some pretty knowledgable people in here. ;)

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you...so I'm anxious to see what people have to say also. I've read about everything from torque converter, rear slip differnential, to turbo charger...but I've never seen a concensus on which one is better to improve overall driving speed and "quickness". We should start a poll or something...

Hi,

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you...so I'm anxious to see what people have to say also. I've read about everything from torque converter, rear slip differnential, to turbo charger...but I've never seen a concensus on which one is better to improve overall driving speed and "quickness". We should start a poll or something...

Turbo is the only way to go. Get a nice size T04e with a conservative set-up a la f-max or toyomoto style. Two auxillary injectors and better fuel pump. Tuned for 300 or so plus easy - reliable horsepower on tap. Good luck.

Oh yea - must definitely do the torque converter if nothing else. Tranny cooler for extra measure = whole new slush box fun.

Turbo is the only way to go.  Get a nice size T04e with a conservative set-up a la f-max or toyomoto style.  Two auxillary injectors and better fuel pump.  Tuned for 300 or so plus easy - reliable horsepower on tap.  Good luck.

Oh yea - must definitely do the torque converter if nothing else.  Tranny cooler for extra measure = whole new slush box fun.

What kind of long term wear and tear/harm, etc does this do to the car? What other problems are likely to manifest?

Thanks!

The answer is really simple, but not one you probably want to hear. You drive a lexus not a sports car. If you want more performance, go buy a sports car. That's why I have a GS300 and a Corvette. One is for *plush* driving, one is for performance.

The answer is really simple, but not one you probably want to hear. You drive a lexus not a sports car. If you want more performance, go buy a sports car. That's why I have a GS300 and a Corvette. One is for *plush* driving, one is for performance.

This is true but if you have a BMW or certain Benz's (both plush luxery rides) you can have both. Lexus hasn't caught up to that yet...or at least mine hasn't. So I just want to see if I can make the ride a bit more like I want. I'm sure others feel the same...

Besides, I can't afford to have TWO nice rides!! :rolleyes:

The answer is really simple, but not one you probably want to hear.  You drive a lexus not a sports car.  If you want more performance, go buy a sports car.  That's why I have a GS300 and a Corvette.  One is for *plush* driving, one is for performance.

That is correct.. that's not what I wanted to hear. Anything can be accomplished.

If i wanted to I could simply sell the car and buy a 'Benz E55. I simply want to stick with my GS because i truly _love_ my car.

The 2JZ GE engine which is in the Non turbo toyota Supra, Lexus Gs300, SC300 and IS300 is very reliable and wear and tear will not be any affect at all. You can go to the supraforums where many people there had turbocharged nonturbo engine and had no problems at all.

Will have to further explore this avenue.. thanks!

I'm with him. :D GS for flossing. Supra for speed here. Best of both worlds. Hehe But I know how most of the board feels. It's nothing like havinga nice luxary ride with power. But with power more things break.

• 4 weeks later...

The point is not to by a sports car. Anyone can buy a sports car, but that's the easy way out. It's what you can accomplish with what you have. The GS has a lot of potential, I'm working on getting a turbo myself.

The point is not to by a sports car.  Anyone can buy a sports car, but that's the easy way out.  It's what you can accomplish with what you have.  The GS has a lot of potential,  I'm working on getting a turbo myself.

Finally - SOMEONE who gets the point! Let me know how your endeavor goes.

HHhhmmmm. To each thier own , and its your car do what makes you happy. But if the Lex is your only vehicle, you should buy something else for backup. You'd be attempting to take a luxury sedan and squeeze "sports car" performance out of it. Remember, the Lex wasn't made for that and things will brake, and that gets very costly (say goodbye to your warranty with a power adder). In addition, in the end you may not get the performance out of the Lex that you wanted. I'm not against making a gs faster. Exhaust, intake, ecu stuff is fun. But a s/c sounds like your looking for more serious performance, that, imo can't be had in a lexus. There are plenty of luxury vehicles and sports cars in stock form that are much faster/better handling than a s/c lexus that in the end cost you near the same $$. The important question is what do you want out of your car. The next question is can your car give it to you.

I love my gs too, but I love it for what it is... a luxury sedan. Good luck with your decisions. Make sure you have a goal and well thought-out modification plan.

• 3 months later...

For everyday driving the supercharger option is better since a supercharger is powered by the serpentine belt along with your ac water pump, alternater...etc. so a supercharger gets instant boost as soon as you step on the gas. a Turbo works different it gets exhaust gasses and spins the turbine then it gets boost so it requires time for the turbine to "spool up" this is called turbo lag..... the turbo usually spools up around 3000~4500 rpm as far as the reliability problem as long as you don't run too much boost about 6psi you'll be fine.

if you ask me the cost effective solution to this is to just do a engine swap with a 2-jzgte (Supra engine) this costs about $4500

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it has anything to do with what "type" of car a Lexus is... tell that to the kids riding around in 90hp Hondas that sound like badly aspirated lawn mowers with racing stickers, body kits and a huge racing wing that probably weighs more than the engine. It has to do with customizing and having a truly unique vehicle, albeit a much more tasteful 'unique vehicle' than a Saturday night rice cruiser. I have a 2000 GS300 which I'm planning on putting a stage 3 supercharger on (intake, exhaust, suspension, dvd, ps2, etc as well), along with some 19 inch Kruz wheels which I'm ordering today. That I'm hoping to be in a position to purchase an italian exotic later this year doesn't change that I like my GS and want it realize it's full potential.

After all, the GS is a _sport_ sedan... if you want a big plush comfy car why not get one of the big boats that Lexus or MB, etc, makes. (lol, and even if I had a luxury barge, I'd still be slapping wheels and engine mods on) I mean the GS vehicles aren't exactly the most luxurious in the world, by any means. Of course, they're very nice, but it's not a pure luxury car just as it's not a pure sports car. It's a highend sports sedan, just like a BMW 325i/M3, MB CLK 320/430 (funny all the competing vehicles are all classed the same... m3, clk320, 325i, gs300) only it could definitely use releasing of some power. It's not like you're putting mods on it to take out to the racetrack, either... of course there are far better options for that. However, when I row through the gears from 2 to Drive after stomping on the accelerator at a stoplight, I like having the power to raise my pulse and enjoy the car I plunked down several pounds of cash for.

My stock GS300 does 155mph according to the speedo (never done a radar check, seems to be pretty accurate... maybe will use GPS sometime) and frankly that isn't bad for a stock "luxury" sedan. I'm sure most of you agree everytime you accelerate hard in a '300 that the engine whine is a happy sound indeed, but the car has so much more potential. Who says a luxury car has to relegate you to the slow lane, dawdling along spilling food down your shirt, looking like a drunk figure skater weaving slowly from white line to white line on your way to the geriatric center? lol.

My point being, even if/when I am able to purchase an extremely fast exotic (which _would_ be at home at the racetrack), I'm at the same time intending to keep the GS and use the extra capital towards further customization. Just because it's not a true performance vehicle doesn't mean it should just be left alone because it can't be a race car. I don't want it to be a race car... I want it to perform up to it's fullest potential, be comfy, sporty and fast. I want to keep my rear comfy and still get an adrenaline fix. Especially if you have only one vehicle... sure a true "sports car" might be faster, but when you're taking a long road trip those few more seconds zero to 60 and it being maybe 10 or 20mph faster aren't going replace the comfort of a sports sedan. (especially if you happen to wanna go with, oh I don't know, more than two people?)

Besides, it's probably not even 10mph slower, just quicker acceleration... most highend sports cars do about 200mph in stock form. I'm convinced a GS300 could hit close to 200mph with a supercharger (388hp), exhaust, intake, etc... 400hp in a '300 I'm positive would do 180 or 190mph+. If a stock 220hp (really 170/180? something) GS300 does 155mph... another 200 or so horsepower would be interesting. Really, isn't that the perfect compromise? Comfort and power, luxury and sport? I think that's why sport sedans are so popular, it satisfies our need for excitement while coddling us in refinement. If anything, Lexus tones down the potential of the car so it can appeal to a larger demographic. For some of us it's more important to emphasize the sport more than the sedan... just not to the point of having a pure sports car, that's the compromise. Lexus could have easily offered it with a slew of performance options, but that base, usually the few younger owners and performance oriented middle aged men, is probably too small to bother. That's where the aftermarket comes in.

Of course it's nice to have individual vehicles for different tasks... I have a Jeep for offroading and a diesel Suburban to pull boats and flatbeds... but that doesn't mean you should just leave everything as the factory gave it to you. I'm not planning on racing the Jeep or the Suburban anytime soon but both have heavy modifications. The Jeep has a 350hp smallblock Chevy and I'm even planning to drop a Corvette LS1 into it this summer. GASP, a sports car engine in a Jeep... it's sure not meant for that! (well, really it is... rock buggies need horsepower, but I digress) Also, I think part of the point (fun?) of tricking out a vehicle like a Lexus is the very fact people don't _expect_ it. Certainly not until they hear a turbo wind up and they're looking at your tail lights wink as you leave them a gift of dust and a lingering feeling of inadequacy >:D. And even if you do own a pure sports car as well, you can't always run home when you feel like some "spirited" driving. Nor is a pure performance sports car practical for long trips, etc... so why deny yourself combustible fun because you didn't mod the Lexus? :\

The idea applies even moreso to the GS430, which can put out 525hp+ with a supercharger and even more with other mods... hmm, mayhap I just anulled my whole point about modding a '300 and just quietly go get a '430. lol. A Lamborhini Murcielago puts out 580hp, I think the GS430 may just have qualified as a 'real' sports car! Maybe I'm weird and just like fast things too much, I don't know. On a technical note, the only thing I could see that might be a problem with that much power would be the transmission not being able to handle it. Especially when spinning out and accelerating hard, then the tires catch traction quickly... that's a ton of stress on the drivetrain. If anyone reading this thread has installed or knows someone who has installed a significant number of performance accessories on a GS300 I'd sure be interested to know how it turned out. Anyway, that's my $20 bucks worth.

-kurdt

• 1 year later...
Turbo is the only way to go.  Get a nice size T04e with a conservative set-up a la f-max or toyomoto style.  Two auxillary injectors and better fuel pump.  Tuned for 300 or so plus easy - reliable horsepower on tap.  Good luck.

Oh yea - must definitely do the torque converter if nothing else.  Tranny cooler for extra measure = whole new slush box fun.

What kind of long term wear and tear/harm, etc does this do to the car? What other problems are likely to manifest?

Thanks!

You'll run into the same problems of all turbo cars. Engine runs hotter, oil leakage comes sooner than stock engine, engine will suffer detonation ocassionally, messing up the pistons, piston rings, valves and spark plugs. Added power strains the stock tranny, differentials. You'll have to change those oils sooner.

There's a host of problems associated with turbo'ing your car with aftermarket stuff. If you really need the power, don't turbo the stock GS300, get a Supra Turbo engine (2JZGTE). That'll get you an automatic 320hp engine with potential to add more a lot safely. The engine was made by TRD directly, and can withstand 500hp on stock trim.

The answer is really simple, but not one you probably want to hear.  You drive a lexus not a sports car.  If you want more performance, go buy a sports car.  That's why I have a GS300 and a Corvette.  One is for *plush* driving, one is for performance.

This is true but if you have a BMW or certain Benz's (both plush luxery rides) you can have both. Lexus hasn't caught up to that yet...or at least mine hasn't. So I just want to see if I can make the ride a bit more like I want. I'm sure others feel the same...

It is true that with BMW and Mercedes you CAN have both, but that doesnt always mean that you indefinitly WILL get both. When looking at the cars that produce these large levels of HP and TQ you need to look at what models they are. i mean yea the e39 M5 has 400 hp all day long.

BUT, consider that it is

1. VERY expensive to buy

2. VERY rare

3. Even more expensive to maintain

4. in the shop more than on the road

mercedes has been putting out some rocket ships as of late. but if the letters on your car dont have AMG associated with them anywhere your not looking at astronomical performance (500s and 600s are pretty fast still)

lets compare some cars here shall we? looking at 1998, brand new GS's on the market. the gs300 and the all new gs400

gs300 vs benz e320 ---

lexus gs300 had 225hp and 220tq -- 20mpg city / 25mpg hwy.....not too bad

merc e320 had 221hp and 232tq -- 21mpg city/ 28mpg hwy

how much of a difference is that? i honestly dont think that someone would complain about the "lackluster performance" of the gs300 and praise the "supercar performance" of the e320.

gs400 vs benz e430

lexus gs400 had 300hp and 310tq -- 17mpg city / 23mpg hwy...not bad for a V8

merc e430 had 275hp and 295tq -- 19mpg city/ 26mpg hwy

now, if im doing the math here right.....the lexus ACTUALLY has 25hp and 15tq MORE than the mercedes. and an interesting fact here is that the lexus was actually about 1 whole sec faster than the merc 0-60. hmmmmm

gs300 vs bmw 528i--- (i would have compared to 530, but not avail. in 1998)

look above for lexus stats

bmw 528i had 190hp and 206tq -- 18mpg city / 26mpg hwy

ummm...haha i mean 35hp and 14tq difference??? not to mention the lexus still got better fuel economy in the city????

gs400 vs bmw 540i----

gs 400 same as above

bmw 540i had 282hp and 324tq -- 18mpg city / 24mpg hwy with an auto

15mpg city/ 24mpg hwy with the stick

now...the only thing lexus loses out here in is tq...and the 540i is a torque horse there is no denying that.

the only point im trying to make is that if your going to compare anything, you need to compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges. i mean you cant compare a 1998 lexus gs300 that cost lets say $45K? brand new, or even for that matter a 2005 gs300 that costs maybe $50,000 fully loaded to a 2005 Mercedes E55 amg that is selling for $81,250 new.

also, dont forget that when the gs400 came out in 1998 it was one of the fastet production sedans on the market, i think with the exception of the jaguar XJR. and it stayed that way until the e39 M5 came into production. but, as im sure everyone has read and is already aware, the production numbers of the M5 didnt classify it in the same category as the lexus or the jaguar.

just something to think about if you have time to read all of this hahahah