Wind Noise In Gs300

I have a '99 GS300 with 95K miles and it still runs and looks like new, however at highway speeds it seems to have excessive wind noise (for a Lexus). Granted, I'm comparing it to my parents 2000 Deville which is surprisingly silent at 75-80 mph but I'm thinking that considering how obsessive Lexus is about producing quiet vehicles, it surprises me that they missed the wind noise issue. I will admit, I'm very particular about car noise (which is part of the reason I chose a Lexus) and lately I have found that the my new Yokohoma DB tires that I recently installed cut down the tire noise over certain surfaces.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if so did they take it to a dealer? Maybe I'm being somewhat obsessive myself but considering how aerodynamic the car is and how it seems to have the perfect door sills and all, I'm thinking I should have almost zero wind noise at 75 mph (keep in mind these cars are built to compete against 5 series Bimmers and E-class Benz's that cruise at 100 mph on the Autobahn....surely THOSE cars aren't that loud....).

Unfortunately, the GS is on the "loud" side. It is not like the LS and to a certain extent the ES, when it comes to noise. I don't think it is overly loud. It is just not whisper quiet like the LS.

I was afraid of that response....Lexus has managed to quiet the engine, transmission, etc but road noise (which can be somewhat solved with the right tires) and wind noise somehow slipped by the engineers. One can keep wishing.

Well, My GS400 has wind noise at 70-80 mph, only because i had to change the front windshield, before that it was very quiet.

The Insurance replaced it with an aftermarket one, since then i feel it is kind of noisy a little

My 1998 GS is dead silent at 75. No wind noise at all.

What you need to do is look under the car and see if any of the body plugs have fallen out. The most important one you need to look for missing is in the area under your feet (driver and passenger side). It is about 1.5 inches in diameter. I have been told if one of these are missing, it allows air movement up in the A pillar and makes it sound like a air leak.

Do you have a moonroof? Next time you hear the noise close the sunshade, if it gets better, the drain tubes are hanging down to far under the car. This gets even worse in the rain. Get 2 rubber bands and wrap them around the tube and only allow 1 inch to be under the car. Oh yea, to do this you need to be in the trunk, take out the spare tire cover, the 2 drain tubes are all the way to the right and left, behind the tires.

My 1998 GS is dead silent at 75. No wind noise at all.

Congrats. :)

My 98 is NOT dead silent. All plugs still in place. My brother in law bought an 01 GS too and complained about the noise. To me, it is not THAT bad. My mom has an ES330 and it is quieter than my car. I have been in LS400s and they are also quieter. Sometimes it is about expectations and tolerances. What is quiet for one person can be "loud" for another. :rolleyes:

BTW- I am talking about stock vs stock. With the upgrades on my car, I expect it to be louder than when I was stock. ;)

My '93 GS300 has a very significant wind noise, but that's 'cause it's been totalled once before and the seal on the drivers' side windows aren't doing the greatest job anymore. I just have to live with it :(

My '94 is noisy at 70plus (don't tell the wife), the window seal doesn't appear to have been properly fitted in the first place, dealer says it won't fit properly now. I thought that was what was causing my noise, seems there's more to it. I've got contenental primium contacts on, they're quite quiet considering british road surfaces, but I gather contenental eco contact is even quieter.

• 1 year later...

My '93 GS300 has a very significant wind noise, but that's 'cause it's been totalled once before and the seal on the drivers' side windows aren't doing the greatest job anymore. I just have to live with it .

93-97 Lexus GS300 owners, we have to live with the horrible workmanship Lexus did to these window panels. They separate from the door and allow wind and noise because of the opening. This I thoughtwas fixed with the 98- models.

I have a 04 GS and just had my wind noise fixed at the dealer. It was exactly what IAGS400 said "a body plug under the passenger side floor" I had the tape going on all of my windows and windshield with no satisfaction. It was the body plug! It's a whole different world.

I have a 04 GS and just had my wind noise fixed at the dealer. It was exactly what IAGS400 said "a body plug under the passenger side floor" I had the tape going on all of my windows and windshield with no satisfaction. It was the body plug! It's a whole different world.

I'm glad I could help.

• 5 years later...

My 93 GS300 had wind noise caused by the black trim (window frames) at the back of the front doors coming loose. Both came loose almost at the same time.

Someone on here said it was correctable by the dealer but they spent hundreds to get it done. That's too expensive, so being cheap, I glued the frames with some JB Weld epoxy and clamped them back down with a couple of Irwin Quick Grip clamps.

Park car in secure area since you won't be locking the doors for awhile

Turn your dome light off so you don't kill your battery with your door open all night.

Pry frame apart a bit

Spread a generous amount of JB Weld 2-part epoxy in there - enough to ooze out a bit

Clamp frame back shut with Quick Grip soft clamps

Wipe away any excess before it hardens

This fix cured 90% of my window wind noise.

gold93gs300