The Es 350 And The Camry Almost Identical

cardona6569

I was reading about the two new models and they are so similar, besides the LexusES 350 having more refinement, the Camry is very similar.. It is very sad that Lexus does this. I would not pay 9,000 more for a car that is so close this time to the Camry, that it is a shame.

I took this quote from Money Magazine, April 2006 page 113.

Don't be Hoodwinked by What's on the Hood

Lexus ES 350. Same Engine same platform, different tuning. The 33,000 Lexus also has more soundprofing and wood trim, plus a fancier stereo, thatn the 24,000 Camry. Save 9,000 Toyota Camry SEV6

End of quote.

C. PR

This may be true, but when someone asks you what you drive, what sounds better... a toyota or a lexus?

I would opt for the camry over the es, That being said I wouldn't buy a es anyway. If your going to buy a lexus get a gs or ls.

Actually this is the most differentiated ES ever from the Camry platform, with only 18% of the car's components being derived from the Camry. People that say the ES is just like a Camry needs to go drive an ES and a Camry. The engine is the same as are some of the suspension components and the basic design of the frame. EVERYTHING else is unique to the two cars. The last generation ES (mine) about 21% of the car was shared with the Camry.

And the difference really isn't $9,000 its more like $6,000. Money has no idea what the difference will be since pricing for the new ES350 hasn't been released. For $6,000 you get a car that is:

1. More prestigious

2. Built in Japan

3. Has better quality paint and build materials

4. Has more luxury content

5. Has a smoother quieter ride

6. Has more technology

7. Has a longer warranty

7. And is attatched to a company that has a MUCH higher service and vehicle satisfaction rating.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

This is platform sharing, and its neccisary if you want Lexus to be able to make cars like the IS, GS, and LS that:

1. Cost a lot more to design and produce

2. Serve a smaller niche market.

Everybody does it, including BMW, Mercedes, even Rolls Royce and Bentley.

The ES is Lexus best selling vehicle besides the RX and they sell nearly 80,000 units per year. They must be doing something right.

Remember, this guy's a journalist and he writes articles that sell magazines. Unfortunately, as is usually true nowadays, his facts are not correct.

If your going to buy a lexus get a gs or ls.

Remember, I chose my ES over a GS300 that was EXACTLY the same cost. In fact I think it was a couple dollars cheaper. I also was looking at a 2000 LS400. I bought the ES because I didn't like the GS at all (the new model is nicer, but I still wouldn't buy one because its not what I'm looking for in a car) and I wanted a new car (as opposed to the 3 year old LS).

I have absolutely no regrets about my decision. Do I want an LS? Sure, but they cost nearly twice what my ES cost. One day.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd thank you not to phrase it that way on the ES forum. Again, they sell more ES's than all other Lexus sedans COMBINED, and we all chose to purchase ES's over other Lexus models. To be honest, we don't want to listen to you disparaging our decision. We don't post on the GS or LS forums telling people they should have bought different models, and we expect the same courtesy. Thats not a request.

The pricing for the New ES350 has been released. Its about 200 dollars more, i will find it now...*goes to different website*

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $33,170

Not bad for all the new standard stuff.

Also, is this car gonna be built in japan? i thought lexus was moving things to canada and germany

<cough>

Only roughly 250,000 US buyers alone think that buying a "rebadged" Toyota product is a good idea

<cough>

Every OEM on the planet does it.

<cough>

It's not for everyone... But it is for some people. It's a better car. Now as to asking if someone wanted to pay $30,000usd for a loaded Camry XLE VS $32,000usd + for an ES350... The base ES is always a steal compaired to a Camry XLE.

I own a 98 ES and when I'm shopping for suspension parts and the like, it bothers me to see that the 98

Camry has most of the same part numbers and that anyone with a camry can have the same nice "QUALITY" ride that I do.

I understand that the ES is better in many respects and just looks much nicer but I dont like thinking that some kid with a Camry can use the same parts as I do and achieve the same ride.

Here is a pic of my ride.post-22455-1145120005_thumb.jpg

i must say tho, the new camry looks pretty similar to the new ES350...the rear end of it at least. And i must say, the camry cars are looking better each generation, especially with the added hybrid model, i would definately get one if i had the parking spaces

Have you driven a 98 Camry? Your ES rides much nicer even though the cars were more similar then than they are now.

Oh yeah, I have definitely driven a 98 Camry and your right it doesn't drive as nice from the factory, but if you replace the struts the part numbers are the same as on my ES, and then you have a cheaper worse looking car that drives the same as mine.

I guess I'm just a snob and I want my ES to have parts, which make such huge impacts like struts, with different part numbers because they are tuned different or just better quality.

With all the things that Toyota did to differentiate the ES from the Camry, it just surprises me that tuned struts weren’t on the list. How a car drives and rides is paramount when any company is trying to blur the relationship between 2 cars that share the same frame and architecture.

I can also admit though, that issues like this one won't bother most people as much as they do me. :geek:

Theres also differences in the bushings and the sound deadening etc that contribute a great deal to the smooth quiet ride. I assure you replacing the struts with the Lexus struts will not make a Camry ride like an ES.

Remember, if you have enough money you could make a Yugo ride like a Lexus...

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the resale value. In 5-6 years the resale on the ES will be a lot more than a Camry which should more than make up the difference in the initial cost. You are driving a nicer car, with more amenities, and everything else that makes the ES a better car than a Camry, which is a nice car in its own right.

I didn't realize that the camry had a different steering rack. That is good to know.

I had a pretty good idea that it had different bushings but sometimes those dont make that big of a difference.

Anyway, you all are making me feel a little better about their real differences and a good discusion like this is why I came here. :)

Thanks

if you would rather have a camry , go buy one, great car. got to a Toyota form, not a Lexus forum. I go to this site to learn how to care for my Lexus es 330. not a camry. If i buy a camry, I'll go to a Camry forum, not a Lexus forum.

timothy

if you would rather have a camry , go buy one, great car. got to a Toyota form, not a Lexus forum. I go to this site to learn how to care for my Lexus es 330. not a camry. If i buy a camry, I'll go to a Camry forum, not a Lexus forum.

timothy

timothy, I figured the fact that I own an ES would clear up which one I would rather have and that is why I come to a Lexus forum and not a Camry forum.

Unlike you, I know how to take care of my ES, so I come here to ask engaging questions about some of the things that I don't know about.

To Each, His Own....correct? ;)

timothy

That seems pretty straightforward LOL

timothy, I figured the fact that I own an ES would clear up which one I would rather have and that is why I come to a Lexus forum and not a Camry forum.

Unlike you, I know how to take care of my ES, so I come here to ask engaging questions about some of the things that I don't know about.

I don't want to speak for Timothy but I think you misunderstood his statement. I don't believe it was directed at you, but moreso towards the member that started this thread.

You know, now that I look back to the begining, maybe it wasn't directed at me.

But, maybe it was??????? :wacko:

Thanks SW03ES, for alerting me to that.

Unfortunatly, that is why I hate not being able to hear people talking because so much can be taken the wrong way when their words are just typed.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'd thank you not to phrase it that way on the ES forum. Again, they sell more ES's than all other Lexus sedans COMBINED, and we all chose to purchase ES's over other Lexus models. To be honest, we don't want to listen to you disparaging our decision. We don't post on the GS or LS forums telling people they should have bought different models, and we expect the same courtesy. Thats not a request.

Very well put! I think we should all get along, because a lexus is a lexus, no matter what model it is.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the resale value. In 5-6 years the resale on the ES will be a lot more than a Camry which should more than make up the difference in the initial cost. You are driving a nicer car, with more amenities, and everything else that makes the ES a better car than a Camry, which is a nice car in its own right.

Good point!

You know, now that I look back to the begining, maybe it wasn't directed at me.

But, maybe it was???????:wacko:

Thanks SW03ES, for alerting me to that.

Unfortunatly, that is why I hate not being able to hear people talking because so much can be taken the wrong way when their words are just typed.

Thats why, unless its obvious who I'm responding to, I always quote in my posts.

wow sorry i got everone so mad. The remark was made to dcfish, and whats this i don't take care of my car? How do know? If its about the thread of my dent in the hood, my ex wife did that. Car is maintained by the book, I just got divorced, dent will get fixed. Divorce is not cheap.

timothy