Transmission

I have a manual '92 ES 300 with 160,000 mi. In every gear, the engine revs to about 4000 rpm before the car speeds up. THIS IS KILLING MY GAS! Could this mean that there is something wrong with the flywheel, or that I just need fluid? If its just the fluid, where is the reservoir?

Thanks in advance.... ;)

i have an automatic and mine likes to be in the 3000-4000 rpm range..when accelerating normally at a stop light (not trying to speed through the light) my car goes to 4000-5000 and finally gets into a gear.... the mechanic said some cars have higher rpm range than others..... how long has your's been doing it? recently or since whenever?

It certainly sounds like the clutch is shot. On a manual transmission 160k miles is considered great service, if that was the original clutch. Try not to drive the car hard because this slipping will cause the clutch to overheat and that'll weaken the springs which will make it even worse than it is now.

Manual transmission cars have two types of linkage, mechanical or hydraulic. I'm not familiar what the Lexus uses, but if it's the hydraulic type the slipping would not be corrected by adding fluid to this part of the clutch mechanism. Pushing down the clutch pedal, whether it's hydraulic or mechanical just serves to disengage the clutch and does not have anything to do with the slipping symptom that you described. The pressure plate or the clutch plate or both are probably worn out. The clutch plate has a friction material similar to brake linings and when that is worn down slipping occurs.

I don't know how much they charge for this type of repair, but you can get an idea by calling a few repair shops. Naturally, Lexus Dealers would probably charge the most.

• 3 weeks later...