Chrome Grill

Anyone ever try the chrome grill modification from AutoGrills.com? They say "each kit consists of chrome slats that fit over your existing stock grille slats. All insert kits include a 3M adhesive backing for easy installation. The plastic material is extremely durable, and resistant to tarnishing"

:cheers:

I purchased the chrome grill from either a 2k1 or maybe 2k2 Sports edition GS3(through the dealer). I also had to purchase a new middle logo because the platinum edition didn't fit. I have never tried what you are attempting. Is it an issue of price as to why you want to go this route it seems like it would be easier to do what I did? Also Lextasy.com is another place where you can get a chrome grill it has minor difference though from the sports edition one that I purchased. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

there are many companies that sell the plastic chrome covered vinyl

it looks as cheap as it sounds

tehy make them for bmw's es 300 and a few others

not worth the time or money

take off the grille give it to a motorcycle builder/designer

or just a regualr tool shop they can chrome it in a day or so pertty cheap

• 4 weeks later...
In 01 they changed the grille shape, but its still chrome underneath.

Ok, let me get this straight. I have a 2001 GS300, and you are saying that the grill, under the paint, is chrome???????

I just want to make sure. I in fact did buy the chrome grill modification from AutoGrills.com and was getting ready to put it on this week. I will dump this cut and stick crap if I can remove the paint and have chrome!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Joel5150 :ph34r:

Yeah!

Sure enough I looked real close and I can see the chrome. Anyone have any ideas on how I can strip off the paint just on the outside edge without ruining the rest of the paint covering the back portion of the grill? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

• 3 months later...
http://www.lexusgrill.com/dyi_grill_install.html

Am i reading right?? are people paying a 100 bucks to have some on rub paint thinner on their grill?? or even 250 for an IS? another satasifed customer.......doesnt know he got ripped off :rolleyes:

Yes rubbed off by a professional ............ :lol:

So they need to charge you accordenly.

Note that many jobs can be easily done by yourself, but with the high labour charge, commercial companies often need to charge several hundreds of dollars.