Wind Noise In My Lx470

scott

good day... i just took delivery of a 1998 LX470 and am very impressed. however, on the drive home from the dealership i noticed some very distinct wind noise coming in from the passanger side... all the windows were completely raised and the doors shut tightly... is there a seal which commonly needs cleaning or replacement in these cars?

thanks for all the help,

scott

Same problem here i just bought 2003 lx470 and i hear winds too eventhough all windows are closed, its kinda strange, but it seems its in all the models, and no one ever brought it up, no solotion found and the winds sound dose not appear alot its from time to time you hear it even if the winds are still out side you can still hear it. if you found out away please tell me

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for the LX470, I love mine, but it does have a pretty awful drag coefficient and though almost silent around town, due in much part to the double seals, it does attract a fair bit of wind noise on the highway - with something that shape, you can't odds it...compare it with an RX next time you go in for service and you'll see what I mean, that screen is much less steep and it makes a heck of a difference - not that I'd ever swap my LX for an RX!!

Of course, that doesn't mean that you don't have a seal problem...

Simon

• 3 years later...

I had the windshiled replaced on my 98 LX470 about a month ago and I start to hear the wind noise from the windshield while driving my car at 40+MPM on free way. Brought the car to the shop to get it fix (2 times) and still have the same issue. I never noticed the wind noise before the windshield got replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Could it all be psychological? :chairshot:

I started noticing the wind noise as well once I had the front windshield replaced on my 2000 LX470.

I only started to focus on the noise once the front windshield was replaced. Hmmmm

I think I need to go the Lexus dealer to test drive the new LX470 to see if the wind noise existed in the new model.

Just had my windshield replaced yesterday at the dealer and don't notice any difference from before other than there's no crack. Dealer did an excellent job, all OEM parts, but it wasn't cheap. Does your driver's side wiper blade have that plastic wing on it? It should. Its purpose is to reduce wind noise. When replacing the windshield, the installer needs to remove the wiper arms...may have forgotten to replace the wing? It's only on the driver's side. Did the installer replace the 4 rivets on each side plus use OEM dam, stopper, and upper moulding? The LX/LC windshield is unconventional in installation method. Most third party installers don't install them properly. Those parts are one-time use items. If you didn't get it done at the dealer, chances are those parts aren't OEM and could also create more wind noise due to shape or installation.

Just had my windshield replaced yesterday at the dealer and don't notice any difference from before other than there's no crack. Dealer did an excellent job, all OEM parts, but it wasn't cheap. Does your driver's side wiper blade have that plastic wing on it? It should. Its purpose is to reduce wind noise. When replacing the windshield, the installer needs to remove the wiper arms...may have forgotten to replace the wing? It's only on the driver's side. Did the installer replace the 4 rivets on each side plus use OEM dam, stopper, and upper moulding? The LX/LC windshield is unconventional in installation method. Most third party installers don't install them properly. Those parts are one-time use items. If you didn't get it done at the dealer, chances are those parts aren't OEM and could also create more wind noise due to shape or installation.

My windshield was replaced by Speedy Glass. My insurance paid for this replacement with orignal glass from Lexus ($1300) and I paid only the deductible ($100). I brought my car back to Speedy Glass to check for this wind noise three times and I still hear the noice and it is very annoying. What does the plastic wing look like?

The wing clips to the bottom of the driver's side wiper and prevents the wind from catching/dragging on the bottom of the wiper by deflecting it over the blade. If you notice, the driver's side wiper sits higher on the windshield than the passenger's side wiper. I'm guessing that's why one isn't needed for the passenger side. Go to your dealer and look at the wiper on a new LX. You'll see. That's what I did, and the '05 LX they had also had one wing on the driver's side only.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am an LX470 owner and trust me I am knowledgeable about some things on these vehicles.

The overwhelming likelihood is that you have wind noise from a poor windshield installation. Those of you noticing it starting after an install are correct.

Face it, there are not that many lx/land cruisers on the road and many windshield installers do not know what they are doing.

The noise can come from different areas, but let me give you the most likely cause especially after w/s install (by the way if you bought used you could have noise from a prior install).

The LX has moldings on both sides of your windshield near the doors that run up and down. The source of the noise is most likely these moldings. If removed during an install (can be done without removing, but is tricky) they have to be reinstalled with the correct little rivets and done perfectly or you will have noise and potentially a lot of it! Gaps can get created between the rivets and the molding inside the trough of the molding. Air gets in there and makes a lot of noise. Removing the moldings kindof wallows out the holes...or they use the wrong rivets or whatever. These can sometimes be gooed up with silicone to stop the noise or replaced with the proper rivets.

The top rubber molding on the windshield which runs left to right can be a big source of noise as well. Sometimes the front edge rubber of your sunroof can be a source as well. Door rubbers can get out of alignment as well.

All that being said, start with those windshield moldings especially if you have a w/s replacement.

This is NOT a noisy vehicle no way. People like windshield installers who don't know lexus will drive a car and think there is nothing wrong with it, but a lexus owner knows there is a problem!

You may never get them to fix it, but explain what I said and it should help them. One other option....there is probably a guy in your market who fixes wind and water leaks on cars (they are mobile) and cheap...say $100. Call some dealers and some big auto body shops and ask who they use for wind and water leak checks. Someone will recommend a guy....if they are good they can nail this down and fix your problem. Advise if more questions!

I think NCLexus470 hit the nail on the head. The LX/LC windshield is unique in that it has the 4 rivets on each side. If the installer is unfamiliar with these, chances are, the job was botched. Those mouldings are one-time use only. If they don't seat the rivets correctly, the moulding doesn't sit correctly, and you get noise. I think one major point of that rivet windshield design is to reduce noise.

This is going to sound too simple, but solutions to problems many times are. I noticed a marked increase in wind noise with the Climate Control systems Auto-Recirculation system was activated (try it at highway speeds). I now do not mind as much, but in the early stages of ownership it bothered me. Also, in cooler weather and when there are several passengers, the windows will fog more easily when the Auto-Recirculation system is activated. Many times I have to manually deactivate it after my windows start to fog.

my '02 was in exactly same situation.

after they replace my windshield, and after nine service visits (varying from overnight to multiday waiting), and countless calls to various support experts, the problem turned out to be the molding that was mentioned above.

the seal above the windshield, on the roof on passenger side stuck out about 1/4" and that turned out to be the source of the howling noise. we replaced "that" as well but the new one stuck up a bit again...

we ultimately glued that down flush and the noise was finally gone.

send me e-mail and i'll send u the picture of the location of the part that i'm talking about.

dj.kim@digitalconsultants.org

D.J.

• 2 weeks later...

good day... i just took delivery of a 1998 LX470 and am very impressed. however, on the drive home from the dealership i noticed some very distinct wind noise coming in from the passanger side... all the windows were completely raised and the doors shut tightly... is there a seal which commonly needs cleaning or replacement in these cars?

thanks for all the help,

scott

I just purchased a 2002 Lexus LX470 that does the same thing. Upon closer inspection the windshield had been replaced with an aftermarket windshield. If your windshield does not say lexus or toyota they probably missed a few parts that need to be on there that cause the wind noise. Not to say I can wait till my windshield cracks so I can take it to the dealer :-P lol jk. After I a while I just get used to it, but its not some thing that lexus is known for ie wind noise.

• 1 month later...

my '02 was in exactly same situation.

after they replace my windshield, and after nine service visits (varying from overnight to multiday waiting), and countless calls to various support experts, the problem turned out to be the molding that was mentioned above.

the seal above the windshield, on the roof on passenger side stuck out about 1/4" and that turned out to be the source of the howling noise. we replaced "that" as well but the new one stuck up a bit again...

we ultimately glued that down flush and the noise was finally gone.

send me e-mail and i'll send u the picture of the location of the part that i'm talking about.

dj.kim@digitalconsultants.org

D.J.

Hey I am new to this and was trying to post but ended up submitting someone elses post,OOPS! Anyways we just got a 2006 LX 470 and as soon as I got in it, I noticed the wind noise so I take it to the dealer and he says its an after market windshield which was something the car fax did not show.He says he can have it sealed because there are gaps where it has not been sealed and that it would run me a couple of hundred dollars.Should I let them do that or should I try to find someone on my own and take a chance they know about Lexus windshields.Seems like the previous owner already went to someone who did not know about Lexus windshields and created this problem.Any insight into this would be appreciated,Thanks.

The OEM windshields use aluminum rivets on the moulding pieces on both sides. If they don't install it correctly, it's the mouldings that create the whistling sound. I had my dealer install a lexus windshield...no whistling sound. They contract out to a glass company for all their windshield replacements, so they are familiar with the LX/LC windshields. If the installer isn't, they could damage the interior trim and/or body around the windshield.

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Don't know if you are still out there, but if so, I'd like to hear from you. I just bought an 01 LX470 with a new windshield, and surprise, it's way, way louder (wind noise) than my 02 Chevy crew cab truck. I'm going to check the seals based upon your input and then may have to have it serviced. No Lexus dealers in MT, so I'm hoping the Toyota dealer can do it or I've got a trip to Colorado coming on.

My climate control fan is rediculously loud in a bearing whine sort of way. Have you had experience with this? The rest of the vehicle is immaculate, wonderful, and extremely rewarding.

CC

Hi Guys,

I am an LX470 owner and trust me I am knowledgeable about some things on these vehicles.

The overwhelming likelihood is that you have wind noise from a poor windshield installation. Those of you noticing it starting after an install are correct.

Face it, there are not that many lx/land cruisers on the road and many windshield installers do not know what they are doing.

The noise can come from different areas, but let me give you the most likely cause especially after w/s install (by the way if you bought used you could have noise from a prior install).

The LX has moldings on both sides of your windshield near the doors that run up and down. The source of the noise is most likely these moldings. If removed during an install (can be done without removing, but is tricky) they have to be reinstalled with the correct little rivets and done perfectly or you will have noise and potentially a lot of it! Gaps can get created between the rivets and the molding inside the trough of the molding. Air gets in there and makes a lot of noise. Removing the moldings kindof wallows out the holes...or they use the wrong rivets or whatever. These can sometimes be gooed up with silicone to stop the noise or replaced with the proper rivets.

The top rubber molding on the windshield which runs left to right can be a big source of noise as well. Sometimes the front edge rubber of your sunroof can be a source as well. Door rubbers can get out of alignment as well.

All that being said, start with those windshield moldings especially if you have a w/s replacement.

This is NOT a noisy vehicle no way. People like windshield installers who don't know lexus will drive a car and think there is nothing wrong with it, but a lexus owner knows there is a problem!

You may never get them to fix it, but explain what I said and it should help them. One other option....there is probably a guy in your market who fixes wind and water leaks on cars (they are mobile) and cheap...say $100. Call some dealers and some big auto body shops and ask who they use for wind and water leak checks. Someone will recommend a guy....if they are good they can nail this down and fix your problem. Advise if more questions!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but chances are that some of you guys are still driving around with more wind noise than needed. I just replaced the windshield with OEM glass and noticed a dramatic increase in wind noise from the passenger side. Since I was not near the glass installer I went to a Canadian Tire and bought some electrical tape to try to locate the area myself. After about half an hour and 10 stops later I had found the spot. It was along the side mouldings (between the moulding itself and the car metal) which are riveted in. When I placed a long piece of electrical tape from top to bottom, the noise dissapeared. I took the car back to the glass place and they offered to redo the side mouldings. I really didn't want them to drill out yet another 4 rivets and install new ones so they suggested a bead of black silicone between the moulding and the car. You can't see the silicone, and the car is now as "quiet" as it was before I had the windshield changed. I don't know if this will have any adverse effects such as water leaks, but it's my understanding that the side mouldings don't prevent water from entering the car. They're there to keep the windshield from popping out. If anyone know differently, please chime in.

2002 LX470

• 4 years later...

thanks for all the help,

scott

I think the reason of that noise is the rubber on the sides of door, you need to replace it. or you have to visit an good auto body shop for solution. according to me its a small issue and will be solved easily by a good expert of auto body.