Loaners For Service..

Dustin

Hi Everyone,

I have to take my '02 RX into the dealer for service (will be in for a couple of days at least)... and was wondering what you guys' experience was with loaner cars?

Clearly, it's a Lexus. So I'm not worried about driving a lemon or anything... but will I at least get something on the same level as what I'm already driving? I'd really like to take an '05 or '06 RX around for a few days and see if I should upgrade anytime soon.

You guys' experiences with loaners?

depends on the dealer, they usually have one type of car. and its usually an RX so your in luck. Year model will also depend on your luck. I will have to say that they will NOT be clean...they will be absolutely vulgar, and you will think that it was a waste of a 40K car. but it will also be the best car you will drive that is an RX and you can imagine they keep it in tip top shape.

To clarify,

By "at least on the level," I mean I'd rather not drive a car two years older than the one I already have. I'd be fine with a new Lexus anything (and granted, I'll only have it a few days), I'd just rather not drive an '89 ES 250 with 130k miles on it ;)

I mean, I imagine that they give you the newest models they practicably can in an effort to get you to upgrade... but I don't know. I've only owned my Lexus for 4 months.

To clarify,

By "at least on the level," I mean I'd rather not drive a car two years older than the one I already have. I'd be fine with a new Lexus anything (and granted, I'll only have it a few days), I'd just rather not drive an '89 ES 250 with 130k miles on it ;)

I mean, I imagine that they give you the newest models they practicably can in an effort to get you to upgrade... but I don't know. I've only owned my Lexus for 4 months.

Every time I go to the dealership for service I get an RX that's no more than 2 years old. But like RX330driver said, it varies by dealer.

To clarify,

You're kidding, right? Take what you get. It beats renting from Enterprise.

I'm sure driving an '89 ES250 for a couple of days won't be the end of the world for you.

This is what i mean, The Lexus customers have no clue! That free loaner is because of the exhorbant prices they charge on the maintenance end. You could go rent a Mercedes S class for the price you will pay for the service in their dealership. sorry folks, but you are just padding the pockets of the Lexus dealership. Yes, we too have never gotten anything other than a new ES300 or RX330.

I agree, if you're going to pay what the dealer asks for service you should get a newer model Lexus as a loaner. Most dealers recycle their loaners every 24 months. In the event they don't have a loaner availiable they will rent you a premium car from Enterprise. They did rent me a Chevy Cobalt one time from Enterprise and I made them take it back and they came back with a Buick which was fine. For $110 an hour I won't drive around in something thats going to make me uncomfortable and sore. This is a luxury car.

Just remember though, it definately depends on the dealers. They don't HAVE to give you a loaner for routine maintenance although most dealers do, they only HAVE to do it for warranty work taking more than 3 hours.

My dealer has mostly ES's and RXs. They typically give the ES's to sedan customers and the RX's to SUV customers. I always ask for an RX so I can drive something different. They also have a couple new GS300s and new IS250s but you have to reserve them.

Yes, we too have never gotten anything other than a new ES300 or RX330.

i dont know about your dealership, but they stopped lending out rx300s a long time ago. I get 2005 rx330s, usually white...for some odd reason. The funny thing is you will also get some of the optional packages; wood steering and shift knob, elec. close trunk that stuff :lol:

This is what i mean, The Lexus customers have no clue! That free loaner is because of the exhorbant prices they charge on the maintenance end. You could go rent a Mercedes S class for the price you will pay for the service in their dealership. sorry folks, but you are just padding the pockets of the Lexus dealership. Yes, we too have never gotten anything other than a new ES300 or RX330.

I think you confuse not caring with not having any clue. People who get to the station in life that they can afford a new Lexus are not stupid, they are aware of what Lexus service costs relative to other avenues of service or service for other makes of car. Like I said before, this is a luxury car. I can afford to pay Lexus for service and then some, $260 for a maintenance that includes a nice loaner, a nice clean dealership, friendly people, a chance to sit in some new models, and doesn't take a whole day of waiting around and I don't have t go through the hassle of renting a car somewhere. $260 is nothing to me, and its not to most Lexus owners either. Don't confuse having priorities that are different than yours with stupidity.

As for "you could rent an S Class" not quite. There are places here where you can rent S classes and they're $2,500 a week, or $450 a day.

As usual, "The truth lies somewhere in between"

Lexus owners comprise a wider range of the financial totem than you might think. I know many on this list have bought their Lex's seconhand so its not a surprise that cost of service is an issue. Besides I'd hazard to say that many people become "tighter" with their money the more affluent they become. By the by, I got an IS once as a loaner, loved it. I rarely go to Lexus for service because they'r e 30+ miles away and I've got a great Independent shop to do the work I can't/don't want to do but I'd almost be worth it to get one of those new IS 350's for a day or two.

PS SW03ES I'll forward you my address and you can send me $260 there, after all its nothing , right?

Guys, there are few things more annoying than YOU knowing how OTHER PEOPLE should spend their money! "Do it yourself or you're stupid", "If you go to a Lexus dealer and get ripped off you're a moron", etc.

Just keep your unimportant opinions to yourself! I run a financial planning business for wealthy people - you'd be surprised what they "waste" their money on. meanwhile, while you're under the hood saving $20 on an oil change, they're making $300/hr in their business or profession! While you're worrying about THEM wasting money at the Lexus dealer, THEY just met their next (also) wealthy client in the Lexus waiting room.

I bought a USED Lexus because I wanted the RX300 and I have no personal need for the newest and best. Some feel just the opposite way, which I totally respect. I go to Toyota for service because I personally have no need to go to the Lexus dealer who's further away and YES I enjoy saving a few $$$. However, i rarely, if ever, do any car maintenance myself beyond pumping my own gas - and that's only because very few stations pump it for you in my area.

For gosh sakes, people who take their Lexus to the lexus dealer know what they're doing.

Right,

I asked a simple question about how I would be treated at the Lexus dealership by way of a loaner car. Not a big deal; nor is it a loaded question. I did not expect to be lambasted by a few people who did nothing more than insinuate that I am a snob.

I bought a Lexus. They're not cheap. The people who buy them want the best that they can afford. It's not an unreasonable question to know how I'm going to be treated by a company I've given $30k+ to.

If you don't like my question and think I'm an elitist or an !Removed!, then deal with it. I personally don't care. I came here for your advice -- and that's it.

To all who've helped, I thank you.

Hi Everyone,

I have to take my '02 RX into the dealer for service (will be in for a couple of days at least)... and was wondering what you guys' experience was with loaner cars?

Clearly, it's a Lexus. So I'm not worried about driving a lemon or anything... but will I at least get something on the same level as what I'm already driving? I'd really like to take an '05 or '06 RX around for a few days and see if I should upgrade anytime soon.

You guys' experiences with loaners?

Dustin,

I always take my Lexus to the dealer for service and have always received a free loaner.

The loaners have always been NEW and most of the time a Lexus. Two times I received a NEW Camry.

Every loaner I have used was ALWAYS clean inside and out. Two weeks ago, I took my 99 RX in

and for the first time ever was given a choice of 3 different Lexus models to use as a loaner:

06 RX, 06 ES and 06 IS. I took the RX but really wanted the IS just to see if it handled like a BMW.

Maybe next time if I'm offered a choice.

Don M.

As usual, "The truth lies somewhere in between"

Lexus owners comprise a wider range of the financial totem than you might think. I know many on this list have bought their Lex's seconhand so its not a surprise that cost of service is an issue. Besides I'd hazard to say that many people become "tighter" with their money the more affluent they become.

I'm not talking about people that buy their cars second hand, notice I said "People who get to the station in life that they can afford a new Lexus are not stupid..." Most of the people that have the dealers do the service purchased the cars new. I wasn't passing judgement on anybody for whether they use the dealer or not, I was simply showing lenore that he shouldn't be so quick to judge people that do.

As for people getting tighter with their money the more affluent they become, it not really that its just that their priorities change. Some things they become tighter about, but affluent experiences usually aren't one of them. The trick to marketing to people higher up in the net worth scale is to attatch a cache as far as the "experience" of buying a certain thing or having something done a a certain location.

As for just sending you the $260, why would I do that if it didn't do anything for me? Spending it at the dealer gets me high quality treatment. If you wanna take me out to dinner and shine my shoes or something we could talk ;)

I have tried 3 different dealers for service. Two of them use Enterprise (I received a Dodge NEON when she went in for a week to fix the sunroof, and a Chevy from the other dealer). The third and better dealer gave me an RX one year newer than mine, sans NAV.

All three dealers get $129+ for 5k service routine (oil change, inspection, tire rotation). From what I have heard this is up to 300% higher than what Lexus dealers in some other markets charge?

Since we're on the subject of loaner cars, my dealer's mechanical service shop provides a loaner when they're available (you have to reserve ahead of time) but the body shop does not (they tell you to talk to Enterprise). Why is that? Doesn't the body shop make as much profit (if not more) than the mechanic shop?

I have tried 3 different dealers for service. Two of them use Enterprise (I received a Dodge NEON when she went in for a week to fix the sunroof, and a Chevy from the other dealer). The third and better dealer gave me an RX one year newer than mine, sans NAV.

All three dealers get $129+ for 5k service routine (oil change, inspection, tire rotation). From what I have heard this is up to 300% higher than what Lexus dealers in some other markets charge?

My dealer charges $260 for the 5k service. $129 is the lowest I've ever heard it. Don't confuse what people quote for prices for just an oil change for the 5k service.

Since we're on the subject of loaner cars, my dealer's mechanical service shop provides a loaner when they're available (you have to reserve ahead of time) but the body shop does not (they tell you to talk to Enterprise). Why is that? Doesn't the body shop make as much profit (if not more) than the mechanic shop?

The body shop isn't reimbursed to carry a loaner fleet like the service dept.

Most Lexus dealers don't have bodyshops anyways.

Ok everybody, I think I started this disaster with my comments. I did buy my Lexus brand new in 1998 and was very proud of that fact. I do not make 300/hour but I am a blue collar worker, or at least used to be. I have just found it weird that people give there money away for a perceived service. But I am ok with them doing so if that is what makes them happy. I know we in this forum come from a wide spectrum of financial status, but I try to make comments to save those of you with families and tight income when I can.

for the rest of you, continue as you were and my appoligy for ruffling the feathers of those that can afford the over inflated prices at most Lexus dealerships. I truely do enjoy the posts of everybody, it gives this retired, grandfather, something to get fired up about, as well as gives me a chance to exchange information that helps everybody. thanks all, Lenore (tom)

Ok everybody, I think I started this disaster with my comments. I did buy my Lexus brand new in 1998 and was very proud of that fact. I do not make 300/hour but I am a blue collar worker, or at least used to be. I have just found it weird that people give there money away for a perceived service. But I am ok with them doing so if that is what makes them happy. I know we in this forum come from a wide spectrum of financial status, but I try to make comments to save those of you with families and tight income when I can.

for the rest of you, continue as you were and my appoligy for ruffling the feathers of those that can afford the over inflated prices at most Lexus dealerships. I truely do enjoy the posts of everybody, it gives this retired, grandfather, something to get fired up about, as well as gives me a chance to exchange information that helps everybody. thanks all, Lenore (tom)

Lenore, on behalf of all owners who patronize Lexus service dept's, take that :chairshot: . :D

And did I hear someone is giving away $260? Where do I sign up? :D

First of all, I heartly agree with Lenore -- apparently another fairly financially conservative "old !Removed!" like me.

The local Lexus dealer here seems to provide fairly new (less than 5000 miles) ES330's and RX330's as loaners - I have been given both when my LS has been in for warranty service. Otherwise, I almost never see the dealer and use an independent repair shop for major services (30K, 60K, etc.) -- they do not provide loaner cars but they shuttle me to my office and pick me up in the evening -- their prices and service are far superior to the Lexus dealer. I did however take my car to the Lexus dealer for wheel balancing last week and had a pleasant experience -- while I listened to others in the waiting room agonizing about what their 30K, 60K, etc. services were costing them.

I do the 5K services myself in less than an hour in my well equiped garage for about $25 including Mobil 1 synthetic oil (purchased in large quantities) and an OEM Lexus/Toyota oil filter purchased for $4 (in case lots) at a Toyota dealer -- I consider it entertainment while I listen to the news. The Lexus 5K service includes only four items - oil & filter, tire rotation, A/C filter check and road test -- personally, I can't bring myself to pay someone $260 (or even $100) to do this trivial work.

But it is all about personal choice. By all means, everyone should do what they want to do. I certainly I could "afford" to take my car to the Lexus dealer. But even more important - most of the trivial damage (scratches, dings, etc.) and much worse damage that has been done to my cars in 40 years of driving has been done at dealerships - it probably took me 10 years to really understand this issue. Doing the "easy" maintenance work myself has allowed us to avoid a lot of damage to cars and has allowed us to drive relatively blemish free cars for many years longer than average.

Instead of "gifting" your money to your Lexus dealer, consider doing what we do and putting the money you save into buying shares of the little company that makes these cars we like so much - Toyota: http://www.google.com/finance?q=TM