Battery Light Came On Then Went Off....

My battery light came on today. Then it went off after like 3 sec. I just replaced the battery about 5 months back. Is this a sign that my alternator is going bad? Let me know your ideas. Before I get stuck on the side of the highway. :whistles:

Ok, So I did the alternator test today. I removed the negative cable from the battery and the car kept running. However when I turned the car off to put the cable back on, when I went to start the car. It started but it died down in 5sec. So I started it then I idle the engine at 2rpm for about a minute and it continued to run...I think my alternator is on its way to the grave...Any Ideas...

The alternator is probably still good but gets messed up when the fluid leaks in it.

I would fix the seal and make the catch can that others made .Then wait and see if any more problems with the alternator arise.

I am a starter and alt. rebuilder, you should never remove the battery cable when the car is running. When the picture of a battery comes on the dash it means you are having alt. problems. First make sure the plug in is secure in the rear of alt., and the p.s. is not leaking. If light comes on again the alt. is probably getting ready to go out. You can take if off the car and get bench tested if they have the proper test lead. The average life expectancy is 125,000 miles on the starter and alt. :)

The alternator is probably still good but gets messed up when the fluid leaks in it.

I would fix the seal and make the catch can that others made .Then wait and see if any more problems with the alternator arise.

i had a whole bunch of crap and gunk stuck in the plug in the back of my alt, i got my alt tested and its no good, now i am planing on replacing a couple of psp hoses and control valve, and an alt. sucks, what kind of catch/shield were they talkin about a couple of posts b4? ive been think about makin one so my alt dosnt get leaked on again ne way this sucks