How Much Did You Get Your Es For And Was It A Good Buy

1990 ES250

119,250 miles

Black with grey leather interior

Paid $1,500 to a family member, she bought a new car and it was sitting in her backyard going to waste.

Have invested $850 in tires, ps pump and 3 hoses (fix leak), radio antenna, paint to renew seats, oil change, misc..

Sanded clearcoat, polished and waxed to renew origional paint, looks and drives great, I love it.

I have the origional window sticker, it listed for a little less than $25k and was purchased from a dealer in CA., someone wrote 1/24/90 on the sticker.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

1997 ES300 with 42K miles, paid $16K in 2001.

I have currently 172K with original eng/trans.

Here are the things that are replaced.

all four shocks (but the problem was shock mounts)

EGR

trans filter/oil

regular eng oil changes

The car still hums like a new without any vibration. Only issue I have is lightly dripping oil (seems like tran fluid).

• 4 months later...

1999 ES 300 w/ 98,000 miles

gray exterior, almost flawless; light gray leather interior, good condition

bought last week on eBay from Dallas dealer who took it in trade

price: $5750

fun car to drive -- need to replace struts

one question: how do I find out if it has the adoptive variable suspension?

If it does, there is a switch right by the shifter to change the suspension mode to "Sport" etc. If you don't see that switch, you don't have variable suspension.

If it does, there is a switch right by the shifter to change the suspension mode to "Sport" etc. If you don't see that switch, you don't have variable suspension.

Thanks for the information. No such switch, so it looks as though that will make it cheaper when I replace the struts -- which evidently it needs.

One other question that someone might help me with -- is there anything I can look for that easily would tell me whether the 90K timing belt/water pump replacement has been done?

I recently purchase a 1994 with 83K for 4500 and got new tires for another 350. The tires that were on them were old and had good tread but had the start of dry rot. It does not have a few things like keyless trunk opening, and my previous vehicle had the keypad to open things also. I do like the ES300.

:D 02 Es300, silver, great body and clean, 128,000 mles. $10,100 from lexus dealer. they put in a new windshield, new tires and r/r tail light-was cracked. Got it for my daughter's 16th birthday. She flipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my '99 ES300 with 160k miles on it 3 weeks ago for $3500. It's a 2 owner car in excellent shape. The previous owner had a Lexus dealer replace the transmission 30k miles ago and they replaced the charcoal canister a couple of months back. I replaced the valve cover gaskets last week resolving a pretty bad oil leak. This car drives great and was a very good deal for the price paid.

i bought my 02-300 fully loaded minus the spoiler....navi, mark levenson sound, 16 chrome rims, heated seats, xenons with 70,000 mile on it for 14,000. the car is in great used condition. it does have a lot of chips from rocks since it was all highway miles and I did have the windshield replaced but i bought some touch up paint :) i love 240$ payments

Hi there,

I am new here too, and I bought my 1997/98 ES300 last January for just $7800. It has 90k miles on it and I think it was a good deal for a rare and expensive car here in Brazil. It is a shielded car, by the way, which means that the body and glasses are bullet proof as probably a millionaire have bought it in 1997. The main problem about the shielded car is the extra weight it has, since in my case I think the car has + or - 500lb more than a regular ES300. Of course it affects mileage and parts durability (mainly suspension absorbers).

Since I bought it the car is at the mechanic shop to have some basic and essential things done, such as to have the Tbelt, fuel filter, front valve gasket, battery, and some suspension parts replaced. The interior is very new and it is black (interior and exterior). The spare tire has never been used.

I've been anxious waiting to get the car back and serviced.

Later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an '05 es330 with 38,700 miles for $17,500. 1 owner, heated-cooled seats, clean record and maintained. Pristine condition, no visible wear except for 1 minor scratch on the steering wheel. Looks and drives brand-spanking new. Probably could've gotten it for $17k even, but I was in a hurry to get rid of my old jalopy.

I am new to this forum and looking to be a 1st time Lexus Owner. I am looking for a 2nd car (4 door) ES 300,ES330, etc or similar model and don't want to spend more than 10K-12K. I like the new design in 2002 and would like at least a 2002, but would consider an older vehicle.

I fully understand that at 90K, I will have to change the timing belt,possible water pump, fluids,etc. I only drive about 6K per year-just local driving.

Any suggestions for a good reliable 2nd family car (2 small kids) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am the proud owner of an 02 es300 pearl white with tan leather, it has the mark/levenson sound,the navigation,and traction control. I paid 14,300 after tax and registration,it had 94,500 miles on it evrything that came with the car is still in there all the manuals, first aid kit, even the lexus pen.. it is in near perfect condition, minus a couple of rock dings and a tiny scratch on the rear bumber. I needed the a/c clutch relay and wiper blades that was it. I did decide to put new tires on it though just because two were different than the other two. The only thing I don't know if the T-belt was done, I have the belt but the waterpump is back-ordered for another two weeks, so i'll wait till that gets here... most wonderful car I've ever owned.. oh and it also has the sun shade and HID lights

• 3 months later...

hi everyone,

i just bought my 1998 lexus es300...

i paid $4300 (CAN)

and it has 178,000 KM

car is in good shape, just has a couple minor things that can be fixed.

in my opinion it was a good buy... what do you guys think?

just bought a 94 es300 green. Has 197k on it. Runs good, good ac, decent interior. Smooth ride. Needed o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . Got it for $1400. has oxidation on decklid and scuffs but no dents. 2 owners. Local Athens, GA car. Complete dealer service records till 150k, 2005. Just brake pads and oil changes since 2005. all mats, keys (keyless only needed a battery still works!) everything works!

What it needs mechanically

o2 sensor (came on during test drive for first time, hence low price)

ball joints

2 rear tires

alignment slightly off, no vibration or pulling, steering wheel just slightly crooked when driving straight.

owner doesnt remember last time coolant was changed( 2004 prolly) the oem red fluid isnt the freshest looking

what it needs cosmetically

good detail (good buffing)

driver seat worn with some rips (not terrible though)

driver side mirror cracked

rear view mirror needs to be epoxied

gauge needles unlit

will take pics so you guys can see.

I feel pretty confident i got a good deal. $1400+300 for parts, tires,align. $1700 total

what do yall think?

For a minute there, I thought you got the O2 sensor for $1400 :D

Sounds like the car was well taken care of. Hope you get many more miles out of it!

just bought a 94 es300 green. Has 197k on it. Runs good, good ac, decent interior. Smooth ride. Needed o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . Got it for $1400. has oxidation on decklid and scuffs but no dents. 2 owners. Local Athens, GA car. Complete dealer service records till 150k, 2005. Just brake pads and oil changes since 2005. all mats, keys (keyless only needed a battery still works!) everything works!

What it needs mechanically

o2 sensor (came on during test drive for first time, hence low price)

ball joints

2 rear tires

alignment slightly off, no vibration or pulling, steering wheel just slightly crooked when driving straight.

owner doesnt remember last time coolant was changed( 2004 prolly) the oem red fluid isnt the freshest looking

what it needs cosmetically

good detail (good buffing)

driver seat worn with some rips (not terrible though)

driver side mirror cracked

rear view mirror needs to be epoxied

gauge needles unlit

will take pics so you guys can see.

I feel pretty confident i got a good deal. $1400+300 for parts, tires,align. $1700 total

what do yall think?