Possible 1990 Ls 400 Purchase Trac Light Is On ?

loup1276

I have the opurtunity to purchase a 1990 lexus ls 400 for $4500 from my father who owns a car bussiness. the car is a one owner with ever service document from day 1 the car has 130k on it and is in exceptional condition, however the trac light in the middle of the spedo is on. I drove the car and it seam not to have alot of power at first the overdrive light was blinking and the track light was on. while driving i shut the car off then restarted it. the car really came to life after this but then shortly after the light apeared again and the car was not down shifting when the pedal was floored it stayed in drive and would not downshift. any ideas to what this maybe. like i said the car is really in unbeilvable condition. normaly i prefer a 4cyl turbo car but for some reason i am really drown to this vehicle the car was so comfortable. also what mods like intake exhaust possible ecu upgrades are available for this car to bring up the hp a little, thanks for any info. louis

Since it's your dads car, I'd whip the thing over to the local Lexus dealer and tell them the symptons. They will probably charge you about 75 bucks to tell you it needs a couple thousnad bucks of work. Then you'll know what is wrong and you can fix it yourself. 4500 for the car is a pretty good deal. You'll like the LS400. Rear drive, V-8 cars rip.

its not his dads car, its from his dads dealership, this trac lite means that you got some kind of error code comin up. connect the scanner and see whas goin on b4 buy the car. otherwise it might lead to some costly repairs afrer the purchase

Anything that affects the car’s “drivability” can defeat the TRAC system as well as problems with the TRAC system itself.

Reading the codes from the various computer systems in the car is relatively easy. All you have to do is short various pins together in one of the two diagnostic connectors and turn on the ignition. No special scanner required (at least not on my ’91 LS-400). I’ll try to post the various pin-outs a little later as I don’t have the manuals in front of me.

My personal experience with this problem stemmed from a bad secondary throttle position sensor. Both the TRAC computer and the engine computer told me that. (Replacement and adjustment was easy.) One of the O2 sensors is a good bet too.