Rear Brakes Parts Break Down 02 Es 300

I have a 2002 ES300. I am going to tear into my rear brakes this weekend. I would like to see what I am getting into with the parking brake before I start. Once I tear it apart on Saturday my local Lexus dealer parts dept will not be opened. If anyone has a breakdown I would like to see it.

Thanks

Jody

woody71,

Your rears are really just a normal brake caliper, just like the fronts. You disconnect the caliper and you can pull off the rotor. Inside is a standard setup for a very small set of drum brakes, whch are your emergency brakes. The brake material on the drums are only 3 mm thick when new, and since you only use the emergency brakes when stationary, they should not wear or get thinner for the life of the car. On a 4 year old car, just clean and lube the apropriate parts and you should be good to reassemble everything concerning the emergency brakes. You shouldn't need new parts for the life of the car, if you clean and lube them regularly, and don't drive with the emergency brake on. Good Luck!