Brake Dust On Front Wheels Of New Is

I don't think the 2008 models are covered under the brake dust TSIB...yet hopefully.

They are including them. I have a 2008 IS 350 and they did the TSB brake pad change at my Lexus dealership without question.

I hadn't detailed my wheels for about 4 weeks. I had the Michelin brake dust repellent on them for that length of time, and had only been going through the touchless car wash about once a week. So yesterday I went to the car wash and sprayed the wheels with Michelin acid free wheel cleaner prior to going through the wash. The wheels came out clean, just fine. Today I sprayed and wiped them down again with the dust repellent. It appears to me this will keep the wheels looking good for about a month with very little manual work involved.

Excellent info barkat. I usually just use a spray detailer between washes, but I'm going to try the Michelin product. Thanks!

I don't think the 2008 models are covered under the brake dust TSIB...yet hopefully.

They are including them. I have a 2008 IS 350 and they did the TSB brake pad change at my Lexus dealership without question.

They're also NOT including them. My dealership refused the TSIB on my 2008 IS350 3 days ago because 08s aren't listed on the TSIB.

I guess so! Heres the Lexus service sheets on the brake job:

post-42851-1213790328_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1213790342_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1213790356_thumb.jpg

And the full TAS case number is 081490290. Looks like it would have cost me $179.95 if it was not covered.

• 2 months later...
wow you really got lucky, or your dealer is actually nice. I wish there was a way to complain directly to Lexus

Hey rookie... I found this during a Google search. It seems like a pretty thorough chain of command, if you are serious about getting an issue resolved:

I would raise my complaint(s) in the following order:

Sales/Service Rep

Sales/Service Manager

General Manager

Dealership Owner

Lexus USA Regional Rep (they usually visit the dealership once a week or so) the dealer should provide this contact to you.

Lexus USA Regional Manager

Lexus USA HQ (Torrance CA) 800-255-3987

e-mail link:http://lexus2.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lexus...

It's not nearly as bad as what I've seen on some Mercedes.

Yeah..my C200k with amg sports kit front 18" wheels are black in a day or two. The lexus is250 take about a week

before they become unsightly.

I might try some products you guys have suggested to see if it helps.

wow you really got lucky, or your dealer is actually nice. I wish there was a way to complain directly to Lexus

Hey rookie... I found this during a Google search. It seems like a pretty thorough chain of command, if you are serious about getting an issue resolved:

Sales/Service Rep

Sales/Service Manager

General Manager

Dealership Owner

Lexus USA Regional Rep (they usually visit the dealership once a week or so) the dealer should provide this contact to you.

So you're suggesting that I start from the lowest and keep harassing them with my complaint? Hahaha thanks man, I'll try something like that.

Sales/Service Rep

Sales/Service Manager

General Manager

Dealership Owner

So you're suggesting that I start from the lowest and keep harassing them with my complaint? Hahaha thanks man, I'll try something like that.

Yeah.... only cause there is a chain of command, and if you are already getting questionable service from the dealer, at least you'll have a record of having given them the chance to make it right before going over their heads.

However, if you want to skip all of that, there is a contact on the Lexus owner's website. All you have to do is log into your Lexus owners page, and click on the 'Contact Lexus' link. (Which, I believe is the same site as the e-mail link above). Or just call the Torrance CA 800 number and get them involved right out of the box.

By the way... gotta love the fire breathing Phelps gif!!

Lexus of Mobile, AL rocks! Called about my brake dust and refenced the TSA info from here, and they put on new pads right away. I also mentioned that the excessive brake dust had left my front drivers wheel very rough compared to the other 3 wheels, and they replaced it! Also threw in a free chrome license plate holder even though I did not purchase the car from them. Too bad I only have 2500 miles left on my warranty :(

Lee

2007 IS 350-Smokey granite Mica

Luruxy package w/ nav and Levinson

18" Chromed OEM wheels

XM radio

Lexus of Mobile, AL rocks! Called about my brake dust and refenced the TSA info from here, and they put on new pads right away. I also mentioned that the excessive brake dust had left my front drivers wheel very rough compared to the other 3 wheels, and they replaced it! Also threw in a free chrome license plate holder even though I did not purchase the car from them. Too bad I only have 2500 miles left on my warranty :(

Lee

2007 IS 350-Smokey granite Mica

Luruxy package w/ nav and Levinson

18" Chromed OEM wheels

XM radio

That's the kind of customer service I'm talking about! Good for you!

I don't remember if this issue was on this site or another, but apparently it is up to the discretion of the dealer to cover the 2008s. Ironically, the brake dust on mine after 1000 miles was so bad (yes it had been washed in between) they had trouble removing it. They did do the TSIB and brake dust is no longer an issue at all. Yes, great dealer. They looked for the info and just did it. They saw the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
I guess so! Heres the Lexus service sheets on the brake job:

post-42851-1213790328_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1213790342_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1213790356_thumb.jpg

And the full TAS case number is 081490290. Looks like it would have cost me $179.95 if it was not covered.

I used the TSIB to have the front pads replaced on my '06 IS350 and my wife's '07 ES350 - fully covered under each respective TSIB. Our Lexus dealership is AWESOME!

• 1 month later...
Just to update everyone on this - if you want to replace your brake pads with less dusty ones, EBC has them available for the IS. It's called Red Stuff. go to www.ebcbrakes.com to see. It's $99 for fronts and $69 for rears. These are supposed to be for highly tuned cars and produce 50% lower dust.

The EBC Greenstuff front brake pad (p/n E35DP21772) is listed for $99. Auto Parts Warehouse has Redstuff front pad set (p/n E35DP31772C) listed for $140.90.

I just purchased a 2009 IS350 and have noticed this problem already. I wash the car and even if i only drive a few miles there is already a flim of brake dust on the wheels. But this is what you get with high friction brake systems. Usually the more brake dust you see; the better the braking system. B)