Brake Dust On Front Wheels Of New Is

Anybody know of a good way to prevent brake dust from accumulating on the front wheels of the new IS? The problem isn't too bad, but the previous Lexus cars we've had never had this problem. Any special kind of detergent/cleaner that actually prevents the dust from accumulating in the 1st place?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have mine yet but planning on purchasing one soon. How bad is this brake dust issue? I have a Mercedes and have to wash the wheels constantly because of the black brake dust. After washing it then driving 100 miles (after 3 days), the wheels are no longer shiny and I can see the black dust accumulating. If I let it go for a week and drive 50 miles a day, it would surely be dark by the end of the week. Especially the front wheels. Do you guys have this experience with the 06 IS? Is it as bad as German cars?

I heard waxing your rims can lessen the amount of break dust sticking to the rim, also makes it easier to wipe break dust off. I dont have wheels worth trying this but let me know if anyone does know.

I wash my car so often it doen't get a chance to build up.Whatever you do don't put anything behind the wheels like those "Kleen Wheel" products.They hold heat in and will warp rotors,I don't know if they even still make them but stay away from anything that will build heat.I think my dust comes from my speeding on freeway ramps.My other performance car is a 450hp Fox body Mustang that handles like crap.

I wash my car so often it doen't get a chance to build up.Whatever you do don't put anything behind the wheels like those "Kleen Wheel" products.They hold heat in and will warp rotors,I don't know if they even still make them but stay away from anything that will build heat.I think my dust comes from my speeding on freeway ramps.My other performance car is a 450hp Fox body Mustang that handles like crap.

What I don't understand is... being the 350 is a 4 wheel braking system.... why is it just the front wheels that has brake dust?

Yesterday when I was cleaning the wheels... I noticed the front is bad... and the rear didn't have any black what so ever?

I've used Wheel Wax on my Mercedes. It is made for wheels and will withstand heat. Most wax breaks down due to heat. Wheel Wax will not. It is supposed to repel brake dust as well. It doesn't prevent brake dust but it takes longer for it to be noticeable on the wheel. Also dust come off easily when cleaning. I stopped using it because I got tired of waxing my wheels. I just clean them regularly. If you want to buy it, just Google Wheel Wax.

This is why I'm interested in knowing how bad the dusting is on the IS. I don't mind cleaning it once a week. But for my Mercedes, I have to clean it twice a week to keep it looking shiny and clean. So any additional info on the dusting is appreciated.

What I don't understand is... being the 350 is a 4 wheel braking system.... why is it just the front wheels that has brake dust?

Yesterday when I was cleaning the wheels... I noticed the front is bad... and the rear didn't have any black what so ever?

The reason is, the front brakes work harder than the rear. That's how they are designed. You need more stopping power in front than the back.

About how many miles did you drive before you saw noticeable brake dust in the fronts?

The reason is, the front brakes work harder than the rear. That's how they are designed. You need more stopping power in front than the back.

About how many miles did you drive before you saw noticeable brake dust in the fronts?

Not sure... its the next day.... It only gets in the pits of the wheels... a real pain in the !Removed!...

I hadn't detailed my wheels for about 4 weeks. I had the Michelin brake dust repellent on them for that length of time, and had only been going through the touchless car wash about once a week. So yesterday I went to the car wash and sprayed the wheels with Michelin acid free wheel cleaner prior to going through the wash. The wheels came out clean, just fine. Today I sprayed and wiped them down again with the dust repellent. It appears to me this will keep the wheels looking good for about a month with very little manual work involved.

Just to update everyone on this - if you want to replace your brake pads with less dusty ones, EBC has them available for the IS. It's called Red Stuff. go to www.ebcbrakes.com to see. It's $99 for fronts and $69 for rears. These are supposed to be for highly tuned cars and produce 50% lower dust.

Anybody know of a good way to prevent brake dust from accumulating on the front wheels of the new IS? The problem isn't too bad, but the previous Lexus cars we've had never had this problem. Any special kind of detergent/cleaner that actually prevents the dust from accumulating in the 1st place?

I just clean them often and put a coat of wax on them periodically.

The Lexus brakes do produce quite a lot of dust though. Similar to the German cars anyway. We had 2 3-series BMWs and this car seems on par with them as far as dirty front wheels go.

I always thought German cars were bad, but the My IS is a pain. I went to town cleaning the car on Sunday, worked the wheels with wax and all and you can already see the black on the rims 3 days later. It’s driving me nuts. :censored: I need to start using some products everyone’s been recommending.

Any product you use will not prevent black on the rims. Black dust will still accumulate after time as long as you're using the brakes. The only way to combat this is protect your wheels for easy cleanups or change the pads.

• 2 years later...