Terrible Paint Fading

BARNEYHYPHEN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you just went thru your local dealer? You did not go thru 800 Lexus service number? I will be calling my dealer on Mon

In the Lexus paint process..... panels do not fade.... Your Lexus has been repainted so where down the line.

Bill

I dont understand what you are saying Bill?

Are you saying that the paint on Lexus panels dont fade? If that is so I dont believe it. There is no difference between the paint on the panels as the paint on the roof. And both of mine are faded. And I dont believe that my Lexus has been repainted I am the second owner and I have seen the whole dealer service record.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my paint job for no cost on my 2000 LX470. Simply, contact your dealer. I know smokey topaz is on there list, maybe others. I do not know if there is national policy, but they decided to repair mine sight unseen, after checking with a regional rep.

I just got my 2000 lx 470 back with free paint. My dealer, Inskip Lexus of warwick, RI,, will repaint smokey topaz for free. Ask for mark ellis in service. Mark does not care about one owner or prior service history. Amazing.

Just got my paint job for no cost on my 2000 LX470. Simply, contact your dealer. I know smokey topaz is on there list, maybe others. I do not know if there is national policy, but they decided to repair mine sight unseen, after checking with a regional rep.

I brought my 99 LX470, smokey topaz bullcrap fading paint into Johnson Lexus a week ago and they told me they would not be covering any cost of paint repair!! What a bunch of bull! I called the 800 number and went off on them stating that we have been a lexus "family" and bought multiple lexus' and so on and wanted this issue resolved. WELL. Lexus called back asking for my fathers name so that they could check the history of how many Lexus' we had bought and based on our customer loyalty we would be receive help from them or not!!! The original reason they gave was because the truck was too old with 130k miles....WTF! Now they say as long as they think that my family will keep buying lexus vehicles, they will give me the paint job. Should I just call your guy in R.I?

Let me know what I have to do here folks...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We have a 1999 LX 470. The paint issue just started showing up two months ago. Topaz grey also. I took the truck into the dealership and the paint guys there said the same thing repeated here. The paint is failing it isn't the clear coat. The service manager was of no help and said it wasn't Lexus's problem. I talked to customer service at the regiaonal office and they too were of no help. I was told the truck wasn't under warranty, I haven't been a long time Lexus owner and the truck was older. They claimed no other issues such as ours had been reported and that they would not be able to help us.

This is ridiculous! Our truck looks like crud and it isn't our fault! I have contacted a local news agency to see if they can help. I dind't pay this much for a truck for it too suddenly look like #$#%!!

• 1 year later...

My 2000 lx470 smokey topaz getting a complete free paint job at lexus dealer right now.

I am so excited to hear about your free paint job! I have a 2000 LX470 in the topaz color that started to fade in 2006 and now looks so bad that I no longer drive it. It is otherwise in great shape. I live in Nashville and will call my local Lexus dealer in the morning.

• 3 years later...

Well better late than never. I have the 2000 LX 470 in Champagne color and it has faded real bad. I just got off the phone with Lexus and they said the rep who came out to the Southampton (NY) dealership to inspect the car said "Lexus respectfully declines to offer any assistance in repainting the vehicle".

Now I completely understand when something is out of warranty, but this is seemingly a know issue, particularly with those certain lighter color paints in that particular year. I have a neighbor up the block who has the very same car in black, and his paint is fine.

What I would like to know here in this forum, has there been any Lexus dealerships who have seen this incident on a number of occasions and have had favorable responses from Lexus in the matter?

I really love this vehicle! It is the best riding car I have ever owned, and I would really like to have Lexus help cover at least some of the cost of repainting. I think it is the right thing to do on their part, since it is a know issue.

• 4 months later...

I'm new here, hello folks. I was browsing this forum and came across this thread and had to join to chime in as I'm definitely part of this "class action" , any attorneys here. I recently purchased a 99 LX with the now infamous smokey topaz color, I cannot really refer to it as paint. I was aware of the problems prior to buying it but had not really looked into it other than knowing that I would eventually have the truck painted. It's actually in the shop now undergoing a repaint. I'll post some pics of before and during soon.

I follow a basic rule whenever I buy a car now. Must be white. I do have a champagne 1999 Corolla which has perfect paint. Of course all of my vehicles are waxed and detailed regularity and many are kept inside. The paint on my previously owned 1990 (white) LS400 is still nearly perfect after 25 years. Pigments all fade.

Of course I do remember in the past when a whole car wouldn't last 15 years or 100,000 miles.

• 5 years later...

I am adding late to this conversation, but I also owned a Smoky Topaz Lexus LX 470 that had severe paint fading and oxidation.  I have owned 4 other Lexus vehicles and treat them all the same:  garage kept and cleaned weekly.  I have never had any paint problems with any of the others, so it seems that this is a paint problem with this model, year, and paint color....too bad as it was originally a beautiful shade....