Question About My New Is250

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this website and this is my 1st post. I purchased my is250 4 days ago and I LOVE it. I am having trouble with playing dvds however. I know that you can only play dvds when the parking brake is on and the car is off. Whenever I put in a dvd however, it doesnt play. I have the navigation system in my car and the 6 disc changer. Do some changers not play dvds? When I put in a dvd, it goes to the cd changer screen and says cd clear. Thats it. No sound, no picture nothing. Ive never even seen a screen on the car that says dvd menu. What am I doing wrong? Dealer was no help as they told me my car doesnt play dvds. BUT It says DVD navigation system that I bought! :blink: Thanks everyone for the help

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this website and this is my 1st post. I purchased my is250 4 days ago and I LOVE it. I am having trouble with playing dvds however. I know that you can only play dvds when the parking brake is on and the car is off. Whenever I put in a dvd however, it doesnt play. I have the navigation system in my car and the 6 disc changer. Do some changers not play dvds? When I put in a dvd, it goes to the cd changer screen and says cd clear. Thats it. No sound, no picture nothing. Ive never even seen a screen on the car that says dvd menu. What am I doing wrong? Dealer was no help as they told me my car doesnt play dvds. BUT It says DVD navigation system that I bought! :blink: Thanks everyone for the help

Do you have the Mark Levinson stereo package?

Only the optional Mark Levinson Stereo has DVD capability.

This is why I have been on hold.

(Lexus is not currently producing IS 250s with the Mark package) :censored:

I want the ability to play DVD Audio, but the default stereo doesn't have DVD capability.

As for the Navigation, DVD Navigation means that the information fed to your Navigation is stored on DVD format. (Street maps, addresses, etc)

This is kept in the rear of the vehicle.

Just because you have a DVD Based Navigation, this has nothing to do with format capabilities in the stereo.

If you have the default 13 speaker/194 Watt/6 Disc stereo, it will NOT play DVDs :cries:

Sorry for the bad news, but for once, your sales people were right.

Hello everyone,

Do you have the Mark Levinson stereo package?

Only the optional Mark Levinson Stereo has DVD capability.

This is why I have been on hold.

(Lexus is not currently producing IS 250s with the Mark package) :censored:

I want the ability to play DVD Audio, but the default stereo doesn't have DVD capability.

As for the Navigation, DVD Navigation means that the information fed to your Navigation is stored on DVD format. (Street maps, addresses, etc)

This is kept in the rear of the vehicle.

Just because you have a DVD Based Navigation, this has nothing to do with format capabilities in the stereo.

If you have the default 13 speaker/194 Watt/6 Disc stereo, it will NOT play DVDs :cries:

Sorry for the bad news, but for once, your sales people were right.

Thanks for honest answer. What can I do to make my stereo play dvds? Is it hard to find a after market dvd player and hook it up with stereo?

Sorry for the dumb question, but anyone to hook a dvd player with a aux plug and make it work?

Thanks for honest answer. What can I do to make my stereo play dvds? Is it hard to find a after market dvd player and hook it up with stereo?

Sorry for the dumb question, but anyone to hook a dvd player with a aux plug and make it work?

You're not going to be playing DVDs through your current navigation screen without some hacking of wires in the back.

It could be done, but I wouldn't suggest doing it without the help of a professional... and now you're talking a lot more coin than it would have been to just get the Mark package to begin with.

There are aftermarket decks with foldout DVD players in them, but personally, I wouldn't consider replacing the stock system with an aftermarket just to get DVDs to play.

Also keep in mind that if you replace the deck, you also risk the loss of steering wheel and navigation screen stereo buttons functionality.

Those buttons are wired through the Lexus stock stereo harness. Aftermarkets won't have those connections and they would also have to be made custom.

I want the Mark Stereo for it's DVD Audio playback, and the fact that the speakers are replaced with Mark Levinson speakers. I have no Idea why Lexus has cut back production on these cars... I assume there was not much interest in them and they were selling slower than the stocks.

Although the DVD Video would come in handy once in a while, it's the Audio that has me sold.