Smokin’ Smoky Sport: Is350 First Drive

Last friday I took delivery of my Smokin’ Smoky Sport IS350 from Kendall Lexus of Eugene OR. I had a pleasant 4 hr drive from Seattle in my 04 TL trade. My sales consultant Celeste Burns & I ironed out the trade in price (subject to mnger ok) and the price of my smokin’ sport in advance. Timing was everything because luckily Kendall had the exact car I wanted (next to GFM) with the sport /navi/ml/no spoiler/preferred pkg and was due to arrive at Kendall very soon The car was unspoken for, and once we agreed on the terms of the sale I put $ down to hold the car. The MSRP was $43,909. My IS arrived from the port on last Wednesday. The car was never on the lot, it was caged in the back with my name on it. Celeste offered me (not exactly offered but I negotiated the price with her) $2,200 off msrp on the incoming car, plus a Venture tape clear bra (done by a local shop in Eugene.

Here she is when I arrived, waiting to meet her new owner

62612448-L.jpg

Celeste Burns at Kendall Lexus came highly recommended from a friend of mine who also bought his 350 from her. I have to say that my experience with Celeste and all the friendly staff was truly great. She spent a lot of time with me and worked out all the details of my sale with class and professionalism. I’m a sales person myself and I can tell a difference between sales people who really go out of there way to make you happy. I highly recommend her to anyone within a 6 hr drive because she will treat you like royalty and make you a great deal as well. I asked her if she would offer the same terms with others that I referred her too and she said yes (not sure about the clear bra though). Mention that GT from Seattle sent you.. You can e-mail her at celesteburns@kendallauto.com or call her cell 541 514 1234.

I was also offered a few small extras like, 2 Lexus key chains and the leather bound book “The Story of Lexus”, wheel locks installed, free water for the road. Coddled to the max!

You can tell I love buying cars. My wife has told me more than once “you owe me big time”, so it’s payback time :)

After Celeste & I wrapped up I programmed the GPS to go to the small town of Florence on the OR coast. From there the plan was to drive up scenic highway 101 for a curvy ride back. Yesterday was raining pretty badly so I didn’t push it too hard. There were lots of great roads to dial in the sport suspension. I continued up the coast (too dark for pictures) and eventually went east bound at around Tillamook towards Portland via hwy 26. I left the dealer at 5:30 or so and go home at 2:30! I started with 32 miles when I drove off the lot (some miles were to deliver car to venture tape, the rest pdi & port miles) and ended with 456 8 hrs later! :driving:

62612453-L.jpg

I averaged something like 23-25 miles per gallon the whole way. I never got anywhere near that high MPG on my 04 TL 6 spd.

I’m glad I opted for the Sport Pkg, The IS350 sport handles very will IMHO. The IS Sport is no match for the handling characteristics of the 330i sport but good enough for me considering all the other plus’s the IS350 has vs. the 330i. I test drove the sport twice before I bought is and it did not feel it too harsh or uncomfortable for city diving. I love the tighter, more solid feel from the sport vs stock. Too each, his own. Std vs. sport, there all good.

As you can imagine, I’m thrilled with my IS350. I think for $41,709 it’s one __ell of a great car.

Things I like….Lightning fast, handles real well, RWD, turns on a dime, fun to drive, love the steering wheel, nimble sized car not too big, great navi, really great ML audio (wow), deep metallic paint, adaptive headlights, luxury feel inside the cabin, solid vault clunk to the doors, pretty quite ride (quieter than my old TL)… ect, ect… You get the point.

Things I don’t like……I do wish the seats were a few inches deeper for my long legs, bigger back seat but that might not give me the nimble feel the car has now

So far all is good….

I hope my IS350 ages gracefully, I know when I bought my TL 2 ½ yrs ago I didn’t think the styling would ever look so dated so soon. Who knows?

God’s in the details & this car has them in spades.

Here she is, my Smokin’ Smoky Sport day 2…

62612456-L.jpg

62612491-L.jpg

62612466-L.jpg

62612474-L.jpg

62612479-L.jpg

62612486-L.jpg

62612548-L.jpg

62612500-L.jpg

62612522-L.jpg

62612509-L.jpg

62612539-L.jpg

62612547-L.jpg

Rides a little lower with sport package......

62612443-L.jpg

Another Lexus convert :)

62612551-L.jpg

Congratulations and great pics!

The Lexus delivery really sets the mood for the whole ownership experience of the car doesn't it? Might sight better than Acura I bet.

As for the TL's styling, I was surprised by how dated they got and how quickly too. Lexus tend to stay fresh lookin for a long time, i wouldn't be concerned.

Nice ride. I live near Seattle as well. Why did you buy all the way in Eugene, OR? Did you get that much more off over there or was it for the service? I'm assuming you will be servicing it locally though?

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I love my IS so far, it's a really great car!

Speaking of the Lexus buying experience....Flowers arrived at my doorstep care of Celesete Burns along with a thank you card! Talk about class, wow!

I bought my car out of state because the local dealer were not willing to give me the same deal I got elsewhere. Most were asking MSRP, nowhere near $2,700 off.

I liked the chance to drive home to take in the new car experience plus save some dough.

The color isn't flint mica, it's called Smoky Graniite Mica. It has a bit more grey in it vs flint. I like flint mica also, good choice :)

Tint next week, 35% Madico Carbon Charcool B)

the third brakelight pops right out of the deck, the tinter had to do my back window twice because he did not realize that it poped out... just fyi. BTW in your pictures, do you have the clear bra already installed?? if so I cannot even see it.. I will also be having a clear bra installed. I will never do without one. My next car will not leave until one is installed. Smart choice.

Hey IXLR8,

First just wanna say, that is an awesome car, congratulations. Second, I had a question, when you bought your car, did you have a trade in? The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I could get a similar deal at Kendall Lexus through Celeste if I have a trade in. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Love all the pictures you took! This is the reason why after many hours of research I keep coming back to Lexus and now I am totally convinced a fully loaded IS350 like yours is the way to go for us! The IS350 will be the 3rd Lexus we will be purchasing. Just wish they made a IS350h or IS400h (Hybrid), not that we don't like the GS400h, but the IS looks way sportier! (Are we going through Mid-Life Crisis?) Going for a test drive tomorrow and probably will end up buying another Lexus.(The IS-350 of course...)

Congrats and cheers to you!!! :whistles:

post-23530-1145533554.jpg