Would You Recommend A Rx330

I am currently looking for a 2004 RX330...may even consider a 2005 if it meets my conditions/requirements. However, I read some of the threads listed about transmission/engine sludge build-up issues and am now beginning to wonder if it's the right choice. What are your experiences with 2004/2005 RX330 FWD?

I currently have 93 ES300 (bought 4 yr old CPO) and 97 LX450 (bought almost new). These vehicles have served me well, especially the LX450...built like a tank. I change the oil regularly with Rotella synthetic and keep up with other routine maintaince. So what am I in for with a RX330? Other vehicles I had considered before settling on RX were 2003/2004 GX470 or a 2003/2004 BMW X5 (3.0i). Your comments and opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Options

well i own a 2004 rx330 AWD and before that, i owned an '00 rx300 AWD. Both were/are supreme cars, i mean i wouldnt have bought another one if i didnt think they were great cars. YOu dont need to worry about sludge build up, thats not as common on these cars, but transmission "hesitation" is very noticible on the '04 and early '05. The car frequently doesnt know which gear it wants to be on, so it "jolts" sometimes, if you are a fast driver like me, always pressing on the throttle. If you are a, for lack of a better word, slow driver, then you shouldn't get this problem as often. It is a great, great car, i highly recommend it. as for the bmw, its german, so expect it to fail fairly early. It sounds like your also a lexus fan, so this wont be a risk to you. some things to watch out for:

transmission problems, (no biggie for you if your buying FWD)

headlight condensation (changed under warranty if happens)

Tire life is very very low on stock tires, around 30K

weak engine, 233 hp for such a heavy vehical

wind noise on drivers window/noise level is fairly high, tho worse on other cars

other than this, i wouldnt change my decision on buying this car if i could.

Personally? I'd buy an Infiniti FX35. Much more interesting vehicle, total blast to drive and it'll STILL carry your stuff.

As for the whole "german fail early" thing, don't buy into that. BMWs are not as reliable as Lexuses no, but as long as you keep up on the maintenance you'll be okay. Mercedes is a different story...

My neighbor has an 01 X5 with almost 80k and he's never once had a problem.

My wife drives our 04 RX330 and she loves it.

She didn't even notice the hesitation problem until I pointed it out. I was the one who couldn't stand it and got the reflash done. Our only other problem was a stuck console cup holder door which they replaced for free under warranty. No big deal. We now have 25k miles.

The stock tires SUCK! We got a slow leak and the passive tire pressure monitoring system did NOT alert us that it got down to 19 psi. Even after patching, the tire was ruined and would slow leak. We had to get a new set. I went with Bridgestone Dueller Alenzas which have more grip, and stiffer sidewalls... MUCH happier. Better grip and body doesn't roll at much. Slightly more road noise though.

The FWD RX330 meets our needs well: comfy luxo family car, looks nice, has been Toyota reliable. Gets around 20-21 mpg 50/50 street/freeway driving. We've never driven in the snow.

Power is adequate to move it around and merge onto freeways and climb freeway hills. Not sluggish, but not strong either.

Oh... I carpooled in my friend's Nissan Murano (like an FX35) and it's a little smaller, but has a much better poise (less body roll, dive, etc). However, I trust Toyota a little more for reliaility than Nissan.

• 1 year later...

If you enjoy spending money and going crazy with rattles go ahead otherwise think again. I own an 06 RX 330. Bought new (the worst car I ever owned as far as rattles are concerned. My wifes minivan drives like a luxury car compared to my RX.

I am currently looking for a 2004 RX330...may even consider a 2005 if it meets my conditions/requirements. However, I read some of the threads listed about transmission/engine sludge build-up issues and am now beginning to wonder if it's the right choice. What are your experiences with 2004/2005 RX330 FWD?

I currently have 93 ES300 (bought 4 yr old CPO) and 97 LX450 (bought almost new). These vehicles have served me well, especially the LX450...built like a tank. I change the oil regularly with Rotella synthetic and keep up with other routine maintaince. So what am I in for with a RX330? Other vehicles I had considered before settling on RX were 2003/2004 GX470 or a 2003/2004 BMW X5 (3.0i). Your comments and opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Options

I just got my '04 RX AWD about a month ago. LOVE IT!!! I was nervous about the vehichle when I made the purchase, but did lots of research & found out the problems were minor imo. Yes, there is road noise, but compared to my previous vehicle ('96 Cherokee 4x4) it's tolerable. I was told by the dealer that the acceleration lag is because the vehicle adjusts to the driver. Don't know that is true or not, but I experience a bit of lag once in a while. Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle.

I just got my '04 RX AWD about a month ago. LOVE IT!!! I was nervous about the vehichle when I made the purchase, but did lots of research & found out the problems were minor imo. Yes, there is road noise, but compared to my previous vehicle ('96 Cherokee 4x4) it's tolerable. I was told by the dealer that the acceleration lag is because the vehicle adjusts to the driver. Don't know that is true or not, but I experience a bit of lag once in a while. Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle.

Did the dealer, by any chance, tell you "which" driver the RX adjusts to..?

Did the dealer, by any chance, tell you "which" driver the RX adjusts to..?

No, but I assumed it was whoever drove the vehcile last. But I kinda think there are too many variables for that to be true statement from the dealer. Otherwise if anyone shared the vehicle instead of having a primary driver, there would be an ongoing lag issue. So who knows.

I dont own one, but I had one for a loaner and just recently test drove another. I dont think that they are that much of a mechanical improvement over the RX300. They are just slighly quieter (not much), and just slighly faster (not much) and just slightly smoother-riding (barely at all).

I dont find them as comfortable either. The styling is better though.

Now the LS430? That is the best deal on the road if you ask me....

Based on my experience with my 05, I would have to answer No. Too many rattles. The headlight condensation problem bothers me. Both headlights have been replaced under warranty, but what happens after the warranty expires. Transmission lag is annoying.

On the plus side, the buying experience and service departments have been outstanding. I might give another Lexus a try but most likely not the RX. My 98 CRV had and 91 MR2 have less issues.

No, I wouldn't - too many annoying flaws that Lexus continues to have trouble finding and fixing. My wife's 2004 RX330 has been in the shop for the same squeaks and rattles four times since February and they still can't get it right. Servo motors have failed, the drivers side seat heater element has failed twice and the seat heater switch has failed once, etc. etc. etc.

My 1999 Dodge Ram pickup is much quieter inside than my wife's 2004 RX330 and it works far harder every day than her little RX330 rattletrap has to. My Ram rides much better and shifts far smoother, too. There are many better SUV choices for less money than the RX series....