Aftermarket Nav In 2004 Rx330

I have been looking to buy a 2004 RX330 in dark colors and with built-in NAV. However, I have not been able to find any that are reasonably priced (<$30 K) and meet my other criteria (color, miles etc.). I can find some without NAV though. Thus, I am now thinking of buying one without NAV (without Levinson stereo system) and installing an aftermarket one. Has anybody here done this? How difficult it is to install an aftermarket navigation system and integrate it with the factory amp and speakers? What brand is recommended to give the stock appearance? I am fair with car electronics....installed a pioneer AVIC-D1 and a totally new audio system to create 5.1 DD sound in my LX450 so I am willing to take a reasonable challenge with RX330 :D

Thanks in advance.

Options

im guessing pretty hard......look at another post like under this one a few days ago about the wiring diagrams for the mark levinson speakers. No brand can give you the stock appearance without you taking apart the dash and replacing it with a nav dash, which is the upper portion of the entire thing. in that case, the extra cash would be worth it to buy it with a nav. you might want to wake a few months, because many people may trade in their rx330 for the new rx350...so keep looking.

I agree wait for the oportunity under 30K may just not be possible unless you go to FWD. but 32K with 25K to 30K miles may be I just bought one for 34K with 12K miles though so it was worth the extra cash. Navigation and levisnton are sweet options to have if you are planning to make this investment for a long time as we did it may just be worth to pay a little extra than to deal with aftermarked equipment etc.

I agree wait for the oportunity under 30K may just not be possible unless you go to FWD. but 32K with 25K to 30K miles may be I just bought one for 34K with 12K miles though so it was worth the extra cash. Navigation and levisnton are sweet options to have if you are planning to make this investment for a long time as we did it may just be worth to pay a little extra than to deal with aftermarked equipment etc.

Thanks for your advise. I am looking for a 2004 RX330 FWD in dark colors (black, blue, flint mica) and light interior (ivory or gray). Yes, I am willing to wait for one with NAV and ML stereo with <35K miles and is available for under $30K. If you come across one please let me know.

Options

a small search under the Certified Pre-Owned list on lexus.com came back with a lot alot of rx330's with les thean 35K miles and less than $30K. Infact, i may have found the dealership with your car Sewell Lexus, Dallas. Try them, they said they want to get rid of these cars, with nav. so yeah. ON their site, it says they have over 15 rx330s for sale. so try them and call.

Sewell Lexus

6421 Lemmon Avenue

Dallas, TX 75209

Phone: 2143528100

• 2 months later...

I have a 2004 RX330 and I've replaced the factory headunit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 DVD Navigation System. I puchased the unit off the Internet (to save a little money) and had it installed at Circuit City. The install looks almost as it was done from the factory. Some of the features o fthe AVIC-Z1 are: bluetooth, traffic information, 30GIG hard drive, music library, DVD playback, iPod capable, learning capability and many other features not offered in previous units. I haven't done anything with the speakers as of yet. I'm comtemplating adding a subwoofer in the near-term. If you need pictures, I can post them for your viewing pleasure. I hope this helps.

Regards

DW...

I have been looking to buy a 2004 RX330 in dark colors and with built-in NAV. However, I have not been able to find any that are reasonably priced (<$30 K) and meet my other criteria (color, miles etc.). I can find some without NAV though. Thus, I am now thinking of buying one without NAV (without Levinson stereo system) and installing an aftermarket one. Has anybody here done this? How difficult it is to install an aftermarket navigation system and integrate it with the factory amp and speakers? What brand is recommended to give the stock appearance? I am fair with car electronics....installed a pioneer AVIC-D1 and a totally new audio system to create 5.1 DD sound in my LX450 so I am willing to take a reasonable challenge with RX330 :D

Thanks in advance.

Options

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you post some pictures of the install please? Thanks.

Sure no problem... if you need any other details... please don't hesitate to ask.

Did they install the radio cutting wires or direct plug thru harness? Because i have already the center adapter console for the double din just like yours.

Can you post some pictures of the install please? Thanks.

Sure no problem... if you need any other details... please don't hesitate to ask.

Did they install the radio cutting wires or direct plug thru harness? Because i have already the center adapter console for the double din just like yours.

Unfortunatley, Circuit City technican cut the factory wires. I purchased a wire harness and requested they use it; however, I removed the headunit a few days later to install a SWI-PS (steering wheel interface module) to maintain usage of my steering wheel controls. That's when I discovered the technican had sliced and soldered the unit verse using the harness as requested.

Unfortunatley, Circuit City technican cut the factory wires. I purchased a wire harness and requested they use it; however, I removed the headunit a few days later to install a SWI-PS (steering wheel interface module) to maintain usage of my steering wheel controls. That's when I discovered the technican had sliced and soldered the unit verse using the harness as requested.

Let me ask you. Did they bypass the factory amp? Did you notice any improvement in your sound..... Let me tell you...your dash looks awesome now i'm sick ..i'm 99% that i will cut some wires..But before i start with any changes i will like to find what to expect from this upgrade... Thanks for your help so far.

Let me ask you. Did they bypass the factory amp? Did you notice any improvement in your sound..... Let me tell you...your dash looks awesome now i'm sick ..i'm 99% that i will cut some wires..But before i start with any changes i will like to find what to expect from this upgrade... Thanks for your help so far.

Initially, I was told that I might loose some sound quality because of the DSP and number of speakers that are installed in the vehicle. It was recommended that I install an amp to compensate for the lost channels (being the AVIC-Z1 is a four-channel system) verse the seven-channel supplied by the DSP. But I elected not to install the amp. I wanted to see how the system sound prior to spending any more cash on the installation. Actually, in all honesty, I think the system sounds better after the install of the AVIC-Z1 (from what I can tell, I think the technican reconnected all the speakers). I'm really amazed how great the system sounds. The only problem that I have with the installation was the cutting of the wires and I do have engine noise when playing the radio. I read that would happen in several of the AVIC-Z1 forums (http://avic411.com/). I'm sure there's a device that can be used to alleviate the noise, I just haven't checked into it. I decided to try XM radio instead. I installed a GEX-P920XM a few days ago and I'm testing out XM radio for the time being.

Regards,

DW...

• 5 weeks later...

justcruzin,

Okay I have looked everywhere but to no avail. Do you have a source where I can pick up the double DIN faceplate you have in your rx?

Sure... the eBay seller is: soarer1975@yahoo.com... you can send him an email inquiring as when he will more units in stock. At least, that's what I did to purchase mine. He's really good about answering emails as well.

DW...

justcruzin,

You are the man. Thank you. I also wanted to pick your brain on where and if there are any stereo harnesses that exist that will interface with the existing amplifier. I noticed u said they cut your harness before you got a chance to get them a adaptor.

Also I would like to know how much it cost you for the interface for the steering wheel controls and how hard was it to setup?

Thanks!

justcruzin,

You are the man. Thank you. I also wanted to pick your brain on where and if there are any stereo harnesses that exist that will interface with the existing amplifier. I noticed u said they cut your harness before you got a chance to get them a adaptor.

Also I would like to know how much it cost you for the interface for the steering wheel controls and how hard was it to setup?

Thanks!

Outerlymitz:

Awesome logon id... by the way!

Actually, I purchased a wire harness for this application. The installer at Circuity City just didn't use it for whatever reason. Unfortunately, you can't go back and use the harness once the installation is complete. I think it was a personal choice... that's the only reason I can think why the harness wasn't used; although, it been said the best installation is comprised of hard wiring a unit to a car. Further, I was told you get a lot of road noise when using a harness with the RX330?

The steering wheel interface is fairly cheap and worth it if you want to retain your steering wheel controls. I actually installed that unit myself. I think Circuit City wanted $69.00 plus tax to install the device. Its extremely easy. You can download the instructions from the following URL:

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/inst...mmSearch=SWI-PS

Make sure you purchase a unit with the latest firmware: Latest Revision: 1.4.6

There's a lot of places that carry this unit but I purchased mine from: expertsoundetc@hotmail.com or eBay item: 140022490512.

Good luck!

Thanks juscruizin on your comment on my ID. The ID has stayed with me since my old Quake III Arena Clan days. hehe.

Do you happen to have that part # and or website that I can checkout for the wiringharness?

Yes... that part is a: Metra 70-8113 (2000 Toyota / Lexus AMP System). You can find this part almost anyplace... I believe Circuit City and Best Buy carry the unit. Or you can look on the Internet as I did a save a few bucks (www.outpost.com).

• 2 weeks later...

hey JC,

I got a question. I received a call from this place called autonetperformance saying that he has this part in stock now. However it looks like a single DIN. Was there a "Specific" version to the double din? Or does the adaptor just have another trim that locks in place to make it a double DIN?

Hey DW,

I got a question. I received a call from this place called autonetperformance saying that he has this part in stock now. However it looks like a single DIN. Was there a "Specific" version to the double din? Or does the adaptor just have another trim that locks in place to make it a double DIN?

Outerlymitz:

What part are you referencing (the Metra 70-8113 or the AVIC-Z1)?

JC,

I was referring to the Toyota Harrier/RX330-350 faceplate adapter.

Outerlymitz:

Just email the following vendor: soarer1975@yahoo.com. He's an eBay seller... that's who I purchased my faceplate from... I think he sales them for about $86 plus shipping and handling. This is a double din unit... at least the Lexus version is. As a matter of fact, search on the following eBay item number: 230026255111. You should get a hit from aristo25 (aka soare1975@yahoo.com). He has one curently up for auction with a "buy it now" price of $86.00.

DW...

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem that I have with the installation was the cutting of the wires and I do have engine noise when playing the radio.

Regards,

DW...

I'm guessing the engine noise is coming from the factory amp. The tech guy wired your Avic-Z1 speakers output wires to your factory amp instead of wiring your Avic-Z1 pre-amp RCA outputs to the factory amp. I don't think the tech guy at Circuit City bypass your factory amps. There is a radio harness that have the RCA input for the factory amps.

I'm installing a nav system in my 04 RX330 and need to know where is the VSS wire. May you locate it for me? A pictures will be perfect if possiable.

Thanks,

Sang P.

The only problem that I have with the installation was the cutting of the wires and I do have engine noise when playing the radio.

Regards,

DW...

I'm guessing the engine noise is coming from the factory amp. The tech guy wired your Avic-Z1 speakers output wires to your factory amp instead of wiring your Avic-Z1 pre-amp RCA outputs to the factory amp. I don't think the tech guy at Circuit City bypass your factory amps. There is a radio harness that have the RCA input for the factory amps.

I'm installing a nav system in my 04 RX330 and need to know where is the VSS wire. May you locate it for me? A pictures will be perfect if possiable.

Thanks,

Sang P.

Sang:

I'm sure you're right... I was thinking something along those lines... that's why I purchased the wire harness; however, for some unknown reason the installer didn't use it. Unfortunately for me, it was some days later that I discovered the harness wasn't used. To alleviate dealing with the noise, I've converted to XM radio. As far as the VSS wire, I'm not sure where that is installed. To make matters worse, there's almost no slack on the wire connections. Thus it would be extremely hard to take a picture of the back of the AVIC-Z1. Another inconvience; albeit, a minor one that cause some serious heartache when I was installing the PAC Audio Steering Wheel Control Module.

DW...