Changing Alternator

Ok here's the thing. One night I was driving and all of a sudden my battery light came on, but when I accel over 2000 rpm the batter light goes off. Only when my car goes below 2000 rpm the battery right comes on. I think it's my alternator, so I bought a new alternator. Now my problem is, I unhooked all the wires and 2 bolts from the alternator, and I think I'm also to unhook or loosing the belt. The think is I don't know how to take the belt out. I'm driving a 92 SC 300. Can anyone show me step by step on how to replace an alternator or take the belt off. I'm so frustrated right now with my car because it seems like once I fix a problem, another one seems to occur. When I got the car I change the stereo, the speakers, the starter, tires, and now the damn alternator. Someone pleeeeeease help me or else i'm just gonna beat my car (Bethany) with a bat.

Check www.lexls.com: caveat that this site is all LS400 and some SC400. So all you can get is hints for your vehicle. Download the PDFs from the techinfo link first or get a hard copy factory svc manual before you do your work.

If you follow the steps and are patient, you'll find these cars are actually quite easy to fix. Its hardly ever easy to work on just the part in question: alt, PS Pump, rack solenoid, etc. Even if you unbolt the alt, you may not be able to pull it out without removing a bunch of other things.

Good luck. and I mean that in a positive way :-)

Check www.lexls.com: caveat that this site is all LS400 and some SC400. So all you can get is hints for your vehicle. Download the PDFs from the techinfo link first or get a hard copy factory svc manual before you do your work.

If you follow the steps and are patient, you'll find these cars are actually quite easy to fix. Its hardly ever easy to work on just the part in question: alt, PS Pump, rack solenoid, etc. Even if you unbolt the alt, you may not be able to pull it out without removing a bunch of other things.

Good luck. and I mean that in a positive way :-)

well i tried the 2 sites...i finally got the alternator off but i did it without removing the serpentine belt. Now I still need to know how to loosen the belt to get it into place. Can someone please help me on how to loosen the belt...my car's been parked for 3 weeks and I miss driving it so much.

well i tried the 2 sites...i finally got the alternator off but i did it without removing the serpentine belt. Now I still need to know how to loosen the belt to get it into place. Can someone please help me on how to loosen the belt...my car's been parked for 3 weeks and I miss driving it so much.

You mean this does not give you enough of a hint? Turn the belt tensioner and remove it. In case you don't have a picture attached under the hood, first make note of how it winds around the various pulleys.

I finally got my alternator changed, but my problem still consist. I even got my battery recharged but the battery light is still on and something is draining my battery. Does anyone have this problem? Well I listened to the engine and it acts like I need to change the plugs, wires, and distributor cap. Well I'm going to try those things. If anyone might know what the problem is please let me know.

I finally got my alternator changed, but my problem still consist. I even got my battery recharged but the battery light is still on and something is draining my battery. Does anyone have this problem? Well I listened to the engine and it acts like I need to change the plugs, wires, and distributor cap. Well I'm going to try those things. If anyone might know what the problem is please let me know.

In the furure remember that when ANY electrical work is done on any lexus the neg. battery terminal MUST BE DISCONNECTED. When the work is done reconnect.

A regular group 24 battery works for my LS400 V8 and they're only $39.99 at Walmart and come with a 2 year free replacement warranty. While I usually insist on genuine Toyota parts, I buy cheap batteries because I usually ruin their longevity potential by accidentally leaving an interior light on or door ajar.