Oem Lexus Filter ?

It's a trick. "Nippon" is a trick name some aftermarket company is using to fool the unsuspecting public the filters are Nippondenso filters. They're not. Many, many aftermarket companies are recklessly using "OEM" in their ads to fool the public. If you want genuine Toyota filters you must purchase them from a Toyota dealer. They're inexpensive at some online dealerships like Bob Bridge Toyota: 1sttoyotaparts.com

I found eBay item for lexus es300 claiming ot be NIPPON OEM FILTERS part #: 08922-02011

is this a valid part ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-ES-GS...1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

I would ask this. Why use OEM? You are not getting anything better the 99% of the filters out there. Based on the ratings, there are much better filters.

Denso ltd dropped the Nippon from it's name around 1990. Most subsidiaries/plants followed suite within a few years of that. Tho not all have...

Those filters are fine. Looks like the Malaysian Nippon filter to me... Those are not uncommon to still see.

There are many Denso filter makers.

TOYOTA BOSHOKU FILTRATION SYSTEM (THAILAND) CO., LTD.

are also common to still see floating around.

P.T. DENSO INDONESIA CORP.

Also show up,\.

TIANJIN TOYOTA BOSHOKU AUTOMOTIVE PARTS CO., LTD.

Is Chinese. You won't find them.

North American built vehicles use:

TBDN TENNESSEE COMPANY

I forget which JDM plant makes Denso's First Time fit filter. One of the SE Asian plants makes them also under a different name in a plain box / no special marketing. If you get them with nice pre-done gaskets w' covers. That it & you struck gold.

I digress. You're most likely fine.

I'm 52 and this is why I have used OEM EVERYTHING since I was in my late 30's

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/add.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/89.jpg

I admit that when I was a 16-35 year old I'd cruise the asiles of auto parts stores and wonder what all those cool sounding filters and additives would do for my cars, not realizing OEM parts could take my Toyota up to 600,000 miles. And not realizing that the reason there are hundreds of thousands of Toyotas littering the nations auto wrecking yards is due to owner use of aftermarket store parts, filters and fluids.

I admit that when I was a 16-35 year old I'd cruise the asiles of auto parts stores and wonder what all those cool sounding filters and additives would do for my cars, not realizing OEM parts could take my Toyota up to 600,000 miles. And not realizing that the reason there are hundreds of thousands of Toyotas littering the nations auto wrecking yards is due to owner use of aftermarket store parts, filters and fluids.

Here we go with the age discrimation..AGAIN!

monarch- Do you really think most users or memebrs buy what you post? It is so wrong it is funny (but sad). Just compare the ratings on the filters. Toyoto is nothing short of a normal filter. I would not pay over $2.50 for (1).

Here we go with the age discrimation..AGAIN!

monarch- Do you really think most users or memebrs buy what you post? It is so wrong it is funny (but sad). Just compare the ratings on the filters. Toyoto is nothing short of a normal filter. I would not pay over $2.50 for (1).

I, for one, buy what he says. There is a lot of crap out there that sounds good if you read the marketing but turns out to be useless (or even causes damage). I can think of a couple of products that have been recommneded on thsi very board that have been shown to be bad for your car, but people still buy them because they're cheap - or 'cool'.

Sticking with the products recommended by the manufacturer is a sound strategy - particularly if you don't have the time to spend the number of ours researching all the alternatives. It's even more true if the couple of dollars extra for an oil filter ($10 every 4 months rather than $3 every 4 months) is less important to you than protecting your $30,000 investment.

I wouldn't presume to say that this is the only reasonable strategy, but it's certainly a very viable strategy.

Most dealers have a discount if you buy 3 or 4 ,i get 3 filters for $15 (Canadian)with the drain plug gaskets included.

So those filters are not much of a better deal after shipping than the dealer.

For the few cents i would rather go to the dealer .

I have no clue on the truth behind who makes what to weigh in though.

Most dealers have a discount if you buy 3 or 4 ,i get 3 filters for $15 (Canadian)with the drain plug gaskets included.

Well, I wound up going to advanced autoparts, purchased a K&N filer adn Mobile 1 oil 5W30 did the oil change.

I also purchased the SeaFoam but wasn't sure where to put it in order to clean the cilinder head and valves so I postponed it for next oil change when I find out more of how to do it.

Well, I wound up going to advanced autoparts, purchased a K&N filer adn Mobile 1 oil 5W30 did the oil change.

I also purchased the SeaFoam but wasn't sure where to put it in order to clean the cilinder head and valves so I postponed it for next oil change when I find out more of how to do it.

Before installing it, you might want to read the reports on K&N. You'll get a lot of people saying 'I used it and it worked fine, added 50 hp and improved my fuel economy 90%' without any evidence. You'll also get people who actually tested things and found that the K&N filter was dumping particles into their oil (as measured by Si content in the oil). I spent a lot of years in filtration R&D and would strongly encourage you not to use a K&N filter.

Before installing it, you might want to read the reports on K&N. You'll get a lot of people saying 'I used it and it worked fine, added 50 hp and improved my fuel economy 90%' without any evidence. You'll also get people who actually tested things and found that the K&N filter was dumping particles into their oil (as measured by Si content in the oil). I spent a lot of years in filtration R&D and would strongly encourage you not to use a K&N filter.

based on the oil filter ratings, I would use it and be happy too. But then again I send $4.75 for my 2 oil filters that last one year (using the same oil)..

Si is one piece of the pie and does not mean a bad filter. If you oil test, you would know this.

based on the oil filter ratings, I would use it and be happy too. But then again I send $4.75 for my 2 oil filters that last one year (using the same oil)..

Si is one piece of the pie and does not mean a bad filter. If you oil test, you would know this.

Si isn't the whole puzzle, but it indicates that particles are passing through the K&N filter - which is exactly what I said would happen. K&N advertises filter ratings which are meaningless. They are simply reporting dirt holding capacity which is not what you want to look out.

Hint: I spent many years in R&D developing new filtration media and I understand it quite well.

Si isn't the whole puzzle, but it indicates that particles are passing through the K&N filter - which is exactly what I said would happen. K&N advertises filter ratings which are meaningless. They are simply reporting dirt holding capacity which is not what you want to look out.

Hint: I spent many years in R&D developing new filtration media and I understand it quite well.

I feel you are talkig about air filters but you can have high Si levels and it is meaningless. I know very well about your filtering past jobs since you have inlightendc me many times about it.

For me, I could careless what people have done for jobs etc. Since oil testing in engines is a differet ball game. I even used air glazed filters for years (5) and the Si (some high) do not dictate anything. Even had the oil tests that showed this.

Again, if you test your oil you will know SI in the great puzzle means nothing. You can have high Si and nothing is even wrong with oil or engine oil. Again, lets see your oil tests that show high Si hurts or means anything.I will ask this, what is SI integral too in oil testing?

I only know from a few years of testing my oil. Only have done about 30 to 40 tests on various cars/trucks/motorcycles/diesel and gas engines.

PS. I also use a K&N on my GSXR1100 for the past 10 years. Si levels are lower then my car....

I feel you are talkig about air filters but you can have high Si levels and it is meaningless. I know very well about your filtering past jobs since you have inlightendc me many times about it.

For me, I could careless what people have done for jobs etc. Since oil testing in engines is a differet ball game. I even used air glazed filters for years (5) and the Si (some high) do not dictate anything. Even had the oil tests that showed this.

Again, if you test your oil you will know SI in the great puzzle means nothing. You can have high Si and nothing is even wrong with oil or engine oil. Again, lets see your oil tests that show high Si hurts or means anything.I will ask this, what is SI integral too in oil testing?

I only know from a few years of testing my oil. Only have done about 30 to 40 tests on various cars/trucks/motorcycles/diesel and gas engines.

PS. I also use a K&N on my GSXR1100 for the past 10 years. Si levels are lower then my car....

That's nice. I've done literally thousands of filtration tests. And I'm measuring actual filtration, not simply oil contaminants (which are only indirectly affected). Since we're talking about filtration performance, I'd say that my many years of managing filtration R&D, many thousands of controlled tests, and PhD in chemistry which allows me to understand the fundamental principles involved carries quite a bit more weight than the fact that you've put a K&N filter in one vehicle and have done 30-40 oil tests.

That's nice. I've done literally thousands of filtration tests. And I'm measuring actual filtration, not simply oil contaminants (which are only indirectly affected). Since we're talking about filtration performance, I'd say that my many years of managing filtration R&D, many thousands of controlled tests, and PhD in chemistry which allows me to understand the fundamental principles involved carries quite a bit more weight than the fact that you've put a K&N filter in one vehicle and have done 30-40 oil tests.

that is great..do some oil tests and see what a "managing filtration R&D, many thousands of controlled tests, and PhD in chemistry" gets you...Do not mean anything..

Again IF you did oil testing you would not even care about SI levels. Maybe go back, spend some $$$$ and test your engine oil and see how the SI is, what you get & what is integral to it.

Again, if you did tests your oil you would not be commenting on this single issue. If you are coreect please show the oil tests that mean Si is something to worry about...Or better yet why do I care about SI and what is integral to it. Based on the lack of your answers I think you have no clue...It is a very simple answer that I am sure someone in your postition can answer in 10 seconds about engine oil and Si levels.

for those of you who opted to skip the most recent pizzing contest ( :angry: )

jragosta is against using the K&N oil filter

mburnickas is NOT against the K&N oil filter.

okay, now let's move on with this thread..............please :blink:

Contents removed by moderator.

This thread and others like it make me want to discontinue participation on this forum. :censored:

Members that have to go back and forth " I know more than you do kind of crap " :chairshot: Really isn't neccesary.

Edited by steviej

you two, jrag and mburn, can be worse than two grade school kids.

Nicely, I implied for you two to knock it off. but that didn't happen. You continued at each other for 7 more posts. These posts have been removed and boxed because the membership of this forum is tired of listenting to you two go at it about filtration and particle size and oil testing.

your points have been well taken over and over again.

If you two can't sort it out via PM then call each other on the phone, but DO NOT drag this out again in open forum. Next time will result in warnings and temporary suspension of posting abilities.

On behalf of the membership,

steviej

ES Forum Moderator.