19" Or 20" On A Gs?

I have 19" deep dish wheels on my 2000 GS400. I have received many compliments on them and the ride is great.

Rim size is purely preference. If you want more attention but don't care about performance and racing - get 20" chromes (chrome is heavier than other finishes), if you still want a good look (a lot better than stock) and might want to mod your car in the future for more power - get 19" silver/alloy wheels (I got the hyper light finish; similar to the finish on the "M" series BMW's). BTW, I also heard that the structural integrity of chrome wheels are weaker due to the chroming process of dipping the wheels; Hope this helps.

I have 20x8.5 fronts and 20x9.5 rears and they are awesome. The car looks great, handles great, their a lightweight wheel, which makes it a breeze to drive with oversized wheels. The only downfall with going with 20's is the tire size. I barely have an inch of rubber on my rim so every bump I feel. It's all about what youre going for. Your personal opinion will do you best!

It all depends on where you drive and what kind of roads you drive on.

I am from Jersey and the roads are horrible: pot holes, bumps, anything possible. Thats why I got rid off my 20's. Not enough rubber to absorb the pot holes and etc.

I would recommend 19's with at least 40 profile tires. I know it doesnt look as nice as 35 or 30, but if you want to keep the wheels for a couple years 40 profile is the way to go.

If you go with 30 or 35 profile tires, the wheels will only last you a year or two., because you will bend the crap out of them.

Let us know, what you chose.

You can't argue that 20's will always look better. The problem is how you drive your car. I'm from Winnipeg, Canada, and I recently got 18's, although it broke my heart not to get 20's. If you have harsh winter's, just one pothole in spring is enough to mash up your 20's. Even hitting railroad tracks too hard can be a problem.

In my opinion, the GS 430 is built for people who love to drive, so if I put 20's, I wouldn't be able to take the long (and fast) road trips that I can (worry free) with my 18's. This is also my everyday work car, so it has to stand up to our crappy road conditions. Also you pay big bucks for a heavy, smooth and quiet luxury car. If you're rubber is too thin, you loose alot of that.

19'' is an OK compromise, giving you a slightly nicer look with a smoother and more absorbant ride. Unfortunatly it's a strange size, and you really limit your selection of both rim and rubber.

If, however, you're from some warm southern state with roads as smooth as glass, just get the 20's.

-Obeah Man

I've had 2 sets of 20s on my gs300 the first set was vault elixers (knock off giovani corsica's) and i liked them but i had alot of rubbing i had 255/35/r20 faulkens @ first then went 2 wanli's off of ebay, well i had 25psi in the rear driver side wheel on day as i was driving to a gas station 2 get some air in my tire i hit a f+_:ing pot hole a pretty big one and cracked the rim. I went and brought me a set of 20" TIS 03's with 245/35/r20. Tires are toyo proxes t1r and i get no rubbing the point is what ever u do get the right off set and keep air in ur tires,lol. personnaly i love 20's.

Just 2 let u know also i would go with 8.5 width if u plan on dropping it,.

I have 20's on my car and I think they just look awesome. Of course you're trading off ride quality for the look, but to be honest the ride isn't that harsh except for when you hit a big bump or pothole. It all depends on your situation, where you live and your intentions for getting the wheels. I went with 20" chromes because I'm not a street racer. I like to ride slow and pimp my car. I'm not gonna lie I'm adding some power and like to punch it now and then but it's a LUXURY/sports sedan.

Go with the 19's. They will give you a much better ride then the 20's. Do you want your Lexus to ride smooth like a Lexus does and should, or have a "Martini" shaker. You will feel every little bump with 20's. I have 19's on my '00 GS300 with 19x8.5" +34 offset in the front and 19x9.5" +40 offset in the rear. 30 series tires in the front and 35 series in the rear. It looks sharp and rides nice.

post-11139-1144724231_thumb.jpg post-11139-1144724460_thumb.jpg

I have 19's on my '00 GS300 with 19x8.5" +34 offset in the front and 19x9.5" +40 offset in the rear. 30 series tires in the front and 35 series in the rear. It looks sharp and rides nice.

What are the tire widths? This seems to be a strange tire setup as the rear wheel will be 1" taller than the fronts (if you are tunning the typical 245/275). Was this on purpose?

Go with the 19's. They will give you a much better ride then the 20's. Do you want your Lexus to ride smooth like a Lexus does and should, or have a "Martini" shaker. You will feel every little bump with 20's.

This is not necessarily true. With the staggered setup, both 19s and 20s typically run 35 series front and 30 series rear. Both will have the same tire sidewall so ride quality would be very similar.

Picture_019.jpg

20S ALL DAY MAN, KEEP IT GROWN & SEXY

I have 19's on my '00 GS300 with 19x8.5" +34 offset in the front and 19x9.5" +40 offset in the rear. 30 series tires in the front and 35 series in the rear. It looks sharp and rides nice.

What are the tire widths? This seems to be a strange tire setup as the rear wheel will be 1" taller than the fronts (if you are tunning the typical 245/275). Was this on purpose?

Go with the 19's. They will give you a much better ride then the 20's. Do you want your Lexus to ride smooth like a Lexus does and should, or have a "Martini" shaker. You will feel every little bump with 20's.

This is not necessarily true. With the staggered setup, both 19s and 20s typically run 35 series front and 30 series rear. Both will have the same tire sidewall so ride quality would be very similar.

and thats stock height

NEO,

They are 245/35ZR19's in front post-11139-1144893213_thumb.jpg

and 275/30ZR19's in the rear. post-11139-1144893311_thumb.jpg

I bought the Volk Racing rims and tires on them from my cousin who ordered them from Japan and had them on his 1996 Supra. So I would imagine the he ordered them that way on purpose.

NEO,

They are 245/35ZR19's in front post-11139-1144893213_thumb.jpg

and 275/30ZR19's in the rear. post-11139-1144893311_thumb.jpg

I bought the Volk Racing rims and tires on them from my cousin who ordered them from Japan and had them on his 1996 Supra. So I would imagine the he ordered them that way on purpose.

LOL. 35 front and 30 rear is much different than 30 front and 35 rear. ;)

• 1 year later...

just to clarify, i'm plannin on getting 19s staggered (19x8.5) (19x9.5) on my Gs so would this tire setup above

245/35ZR19's in front

275/30ZR19's in the rear.

be the proper setup for 19s? i'm also going to use eibach prokit springs and drop 1.2 front and back

i'm trying to lose as little ride quality as possible so would it be advisable to still use this tire size/sidewall size? would bumping it to 245/40 and 275/35 be a good idea or would rubbing occur?

Good thread. I need to get new rims. Previous owner apparently couldn't park the car without scraping at least one rim, as all 4 of mine are wasted. Been trying to decide if I should stick with the stock 16'-ers, or if I could go bigger without killing the ride.

BTW deadmilenko, I always thought white cars sucked, but it DOES look good on the GS! B)

Gads! Just noticed how old this thread is :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...