Credit Card Size Access

while we were in the dealership, one of the salesman was looking something that looks like a credit card inside the brochure. He said that you can still access your car even without the rremote control. and you can even keep that card in your wallet too. mine is an 2006 IS 250 manual transmission.

is that card included in every 2006 IS models?

while we were in the dealership, one of the salesman was looking something that looks like a credit card inside the brochure. He said that you can still access your car even without the rremote control. and you can even keep that card in your wallet too. mine is an 2006 IS 250 manual transmission.

It's a card with a pop-out manual key, which can be used in the manual lock under the door handle.

That's great for getting into the car, but it won't start it.

It's a card with a pop-out manual key, which can be used in the manual lock under the door handle.

That's great for getting into the car, but it won't start it.

to say simply, i belive it can start the car. It should be inside that fatty leather manual holder. It should be in one of the slots, and its a back up key. It can unlock the car and star the car also. The pop out key can insert into the ignition, and then you have to hold that credit card size thing next to the ignition and then turn the key. Its a backup, ur not suppose to use it regularly and you should have one.

Hmm, I went through my manual set and there's no such card. I know what you're talking about though. AAA Auto used to offer those. But I didn't get one from Lexus.

to say simply, i belive it can start the car. It should be inside that fatty leather manual holder. It should be in one of the slots, and its a back up key. It can unlock the car and star the car also. The pop out key can insert into the ignition, and then you have to hold that credit card size thing next to the ignition and then turn the key. Its a backup, ur not suppose to use it regularly and you should have one.

My 02 ES came with the wallet key and holder. In the picture, it the bottom right.

The key gets me into the car and fits in the ignition. The holder has to be placed near the ignition.

That was on my 02.

I wonder with the keyless ignitions, what they have come up with now.

post-688-1143690555_thumb.jpg

steviej

If the car has a key ignition, these little credit card keys will start the car, but the IS has no such keyhole for the ignition.

The credit card key will get you in, but without the electronic keyfob, you're not going anywhere. ;)

If the car has a key ignition, these little credit card keys will start the car, but the IS has no such keyhole for the ignition.

The credit card key will get you in, but without the electronic keyfob, you're not going anywhere. ;)

i know i know, that was stupid to say :chairshot: , infact my next comment "well, i guess the new cars dont come with it cause why would they need the extra key. Its probably just the trasponder part that is wallet sized, which is why its optional. If its in a brochure, its an add on?" pretty much retracted my statement :huh:

It's my understanding that the next gen transponder will be about the size of a credit card. It doesn't have a traditional key at all, but will allow you to operate the car based on proxemity just as the smart keys do. I don't know if it will have buttons like a smart key, but frankly I never take my key out of my pocket. I can open the doors, the trunk, and start the car without it... and even lock it with the doorhandle lock buttons.

So I don't care about the buttons and if they can offer a smaller, wallet-friendly "key" then I would be for it. I like the idea of only needing my wallet when I leave the house. Um... which would, of course, mean that I need one of these for my house too so I don't have to carry a house key. Damn. :)

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on these forums since I just picked up my IS 250 AWD yesturday (1 day from the day i first test drove it). The credit card sized device is pretty much standard here in Canada. What it does is it sits in your pocket and as you approach the car, the lights under the mirrors automatically turn on. You then grab the door handle and the doors unlock. You sit in the car, press the start button, and the car turns on. You can also lock the door by pressing the a button that is on the front driver and passenger handles. You also have the ability to access the trunk the same way. You just press a button that is under the trunk door, and the trunk pops open. And yes, it does have a spare key built in. The device is much smaller than a credit card, it is more the size of those garage door openers that go on your keychain. Hope this helped.

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on these forums since I just picked up my IS 250 AWD yesturday (1 day from the day i first test drove it). The credit card sized device is pretty much standard here in Canada. What it does is it sits in your pocket and as you approach the car, the lights under the mirrors automatically turn on. You then grab the door handle and the doors unlock. You sit in the car, press the start button, and the car turns on. You can also lock the door by pressing the a button that is on the front driver and passenger handles. You also have the ability to access the trunk the same way. You just press a button that is under the trunk door, and the trunk pops open. And yes, it does have a spare key built in. The device is much smaller than a credit card, it is more the size of those garage door openers that go on your keychain. Hope this helped.

Um, yeah... thanks. :huh:

That is called an electronic keyfob.

All IS models come with 2.

The subject here is...

Does the IS come with a credit card key, which is a plastic card which 'holds' a key in your wallet, in case you ever need it. (Lose your key, lock it in the car, etc)

What we are saying is that the IS uses a wireless keyfob, so a credit card key would only get you into the car, and not let you start the car.

That's unless they change the electronic keyfob to something that would fit into your wallet, as Vynson mentioned.

That would be cool! B)