Hids For Is250

Just bought the IS250 and I can't believe the premium plus packages comes with halogen head lights. Any how, does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to HID Xenon headlights? The dearships says it's not possible, but I've been misinformed by dealerships before.

Thanks,

Craig

Just bought the IS250 and I can't believe the premium plus packages comes with halogen head lights. Any how, does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to HID Xenon headlights? The dearships says it's not possible, but I've been misinformed by dealerships before.

Thanks,

Craig

You can purchase after market ones online.

What's the difference between the 2 headlights? I just bought the IS250 and it says I have Bi-xenon High Intensity Discharge headlamps? Is that a combonation of the 2 you mentioned? I am confused?

You already have HID that gives you both a low and a high beam on your outboard headlights. You don't need anything more.

The kits are to convert the standard Halogen lights to HID. Base cars don't come with HID standard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to upgrade the IS 250 HID to whiter bulbs.

Unfortunately, the owner's manual states that it doesn't want owners to change the HID bulbs on their own, so they dont even mention the bulb spec.

The repair manual doesn't mention the bulb spec either.

Does anyone know what type of HID it is? D2S? D2R? D4x ?

Thanks,

N

• 3 weeks later...

What's the difference between the 2 headlights? I just bought the IS250 and it says I have Bi-xenon High Intensity Discharge headlamps? Is that a combonation of the 2 you mentioned? I am confused?

Wait a minute...I thought HID is not available on the 250. You have to get a 350/sport or luxury package to get the HID. When you go to lexus.com, the 250 cannot be equipped with HID. What's the scoop?

Also, if you want to convert to HID, the wiring would have to be changed right? You can't just change the bulbs.

That's what I thought, that the HID lights weren't available on the 250, because of the asme reason, the lexus website did't say that the lux. package was available on the 250. This was until I finally went to the Lexus dealer near me and the guy there told me that the lux package was available on the IS 250.

Wait a minute...I thought HID is not available on the 250. You have to get a 350/sport or luxury package to get the HID. When you go to lexus.com, the 250 cannot be equipped with HID. What's the scoop?

Also, if you want to convert to HID, the wiring would have to be changed right? You can't just change the bulbs.

All the electricl feed wiring stays the same. You just put the ballast/starter in between and install the bulbs.

They come in kits, from $300 to $400 usually. The install is fairly straight forward, but it's a bit difficult to get access to the area you have to work in. Most say it's not all that hard though.

You can do a google search or search Ebay for H11 HID conversion kits. If you can find one with compact ballast, that's going to help in finding a place to install them under the hood. I'm partial to the Mtec kit, although I haven't bought one yet.

http://stores.ebay.com/mtecpower_4500K-MTE...7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

• 9 months later...

They come in kits, from $300 to $400 usually. The install is fairly straight forward, but it's a bit difficult to get access to the area you have to work in. Most say it's not all that hard though.

You can do a google search or search Ebay for H11 HID conversion kits. If you can find one with compact ballast, that's going to help in finding a place to install them under the hood. I'm partial to the Mtec kit, although I haven't bought one yet.

will the MTEC installation void the factory warranty? Also, have you heard of any focus issues due to the lenses being made for the halogen bulbs?

will the MTEC installation void the factory warranty? Also, have you heard of any focus issues due to the lenses being made for the halogen bulbs?

The only part of any warranty that might be voided would be the actual wiring, relays etc. As long as the HID kit is the same wattage as OEM, there should be no problems. One could always put the lights back to stock if there was a problem. I don't think the lenses are any different since they are already projectors, and that's the preferred setup for HID. The guys I know that have made the conversion are quite happy with it.

That's what I thought, that the HID lights weren't available on the 250, because of the asme reason, the lexus website did't say that the lux. package was available on the 250. This was until I finally went to the Lexus dealer near me and the guy there told me that the lux package was available on the IS 250.

Hey guys,

I know for a fact the IS250 can be equipped with HID's because i just got one. Here's my story: Last week, I bought a IS 250 RWD w/ 18" rims (no nav, no luxury pkg). The dealer told me it had HID's, so I was happy to get my car. When I went home that night and turned the headlights on, it didn't look like HIDs (no bright blue hue). I called the delaer and complained that the car wasn't what he said it was. The dealer told me that the only way to get HID's was to get the luxury package w/ Nav (extra $3400 retail). I was *BLEEP*ed. Afer haggling with this guy for a few days, He located an identical silver IS250 w/ 18's, HID's, and a rear spoiler in Arizona (i'm in Seattle). So, i just picked it up 2 days ago, and had to pay an extra $500.

Long story short, you can HID's on an IS250, even w/o the Luxury pkg.

PS - some A**hole keyed my car yesterday, and I'm about kill to someone, especially considering the crap i had to go thru to get the car i wanted.... :angry:

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread up from so long ago, but this is what my search took me to.

From the information I've gleaned from this thread and what I was told earlier today, my IS250 has HID bulbs for the low beams(my passenger side one is dead). Apparently, it's not standard unless you have the Navigation package, and mine has the Navigation(bought it used less than a month ago).

Anyway, I'm not skilled enough and don't know enough to do this myself, so I took it to a Toyota dealership, and they're quoting me a price of $375 for the bulb(or is it actually a conversion kit, as people on this thread have eluded to?). They have no problem with my bringing in my own bulb, so my question is, can I find the replacement for this bulb(kit?) anywhere else for cheaper? They said they called around and everyone else that had it also wanted $375.

My main problem is I don't know what to search/look for, it looks like the owner's manual has the info listed for the halogen/standard bulb. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to bump this thread up from so long ago, but this is what my search took me to.

From the information I've gleaned from this thread and what I was told earlier today, my IS250 has HID bulbs for the low beams(my passenger side one is dead). Apparently, it's not standard unless you have the Navigation package, and mine has the Navigation(bought it used less than a month ago).

Anyway, I'm not skilled enough and don't know enough to do this myself, so I took it to a Toyota dealership, and they're quoting me a price of $375 for the bulb(or is it actually a conversion kit, as people on this thread have eluded to?). They have no problem with my bringing in my own bulb, so my question is, can I find the replacement for this bulb(kit?) anywhere else for cheaper? They said they called around and everyone else that had it also wanted $375.

My main problem is I don't know what to search/look for, it looks like the owner's manual has the info listed for the halogen/standard bulb. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

If you have HID as stock then the bulb is D4S and no kit is required. The bulb will just plug in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PHILIPS-D4S...1205|240%3A1318

If you want to get the bulb somewhere I can probably give you easy enough instructions for installing it. It's not hard to see how to do it, but you may scrape some knuckles as it's a pretty confined space to work in.

Thanks in advance!

If you have HID as stock then the bulb is D4S and no kit is required. The bulb will just plug in.

If you want to get the bulb somewhere I can probably give you easy enough instructions for installing it. It's not hard to see how to do it, but you may scrape some knuckles as it's a pretty confined space to work in.

Thanks much!

As far as installing it, from what they were explaining to me, because the bulb was on the outside, it's pretty tough to get to(like you were saying) and they were talking about taking off part of the bumper or something. I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be with doing something too involved, but if you want to pass along instructions, I can evaluate from there, and maybe give it a shot.

But that bulb will save me over $300 alone, so thanks again!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks much!

As far as installing it, from what they were explaining to me, because the bulb was on the outside, it's pretty tough to get to(like you were saying) and they were talking about taking off part of the bumper or something. I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be with doing something too involved, but if you want to pass along instructions, I can evaluate from there, and maybe give it a shot.

But that bulb will save me over $300 alone, so thanks again!

I haven't changed a bulb on a OEM HID but it wasn't that hard to change bulbs when installing a HID kit on a Halogen setup. The following shows some pics of how to get to the bulb.

http://my.is/forums/f154/tutorial-how-inst...50-pics-335885/