Dealer "touch Of Class" Leather Protection And Warranty?

Greetings, we're new owners as of yesterday and resisted all the add-ons during the signing process. However, one offer really seems like a good idea and that is the leather protection and warranty for only $299.

See, we have five kids and we're very worried about them trashing this drum dyed leather. Our previous car had pigmented leather and was easy to keep clean, despite the drinks, gum, candy, chocolate, McDonalds, dirt, etc. that made its way onto the seats. Piece of cake.

But we complete realize that this drum dyed leather is a completely different and very porous product and we're terrified what it might look like in a few months. So our question is two-fold:

1. Is this product worth applying? Will it really allow this leather to resist the attack of the children? If not, what will?

2. Is this warranty the real deal? It seems to me that even if this product isn't much and we'll still have to clean and condition the leather every three months, the warranty offer of replacing any stained leather for five years is completely worth the $299.

Yes, we're implementing a more strict "no food" rule, but need to plan for the inevitable. Your collective advice is much appreciated!!

Not worth it, and in fact I've even seen this stuff cause leather to crack prematurely.

As long as you clean and condition the leather regularly, it is extremely resistant to staining. Far moreso than cloth.

Not worth it, and in fact I've even seen this stuff cause leather to crack prematurely.

As long as you clean and condition the leather regularly, it is extremely resistant to staining. Far moreso than cloth.

So is the warranty bogus or just something I'm not likely to need in five years? What about ten? How long can good leather last and remain looking nice?

Since you mentioned kids... just be careful with child safety seats.

They need to be seated very tightly into the car, and cause indentations and cracks if not taken care of.

You'll need a thin towel of cloth between the child seat and leather to prevent wearing and chaffing, and I suggest taking the carseat out once in a while to clean and condition the leather.

If possible, swapping the seat from side to side helps as well.

This is all with the assumption that you may have Child Safety / Booster Seats.

I learned from the mistakes I made in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Other than the seat impressions, the leather has held up very well to the occasional spill (And anything else the little one has thrown at it) :)

Thanks for the tips.

WRT child seats, I used a folded bath towel under both of our brittax car seats for five years in the Durango and the leather looked great when we took them out. I think the problem isn't just the car seat, it's the food gunk that the little ones drop that gets ground into the leather by the car seat. The towel prevents this and makes food gunk removal a snap--just throw it in the wash.

Thanks for the tips.

WRT child seats, I used a folded bath towel under both of our brittax car seats for five years in the Durango and the leather looked great when we took them out. I think the problem isn't just the car seat, it's the food gunk that the little ones drop that gets ground into the leather by the car seat. The towel prevents this and makes food gunk removal a snap--just throw it in the wash.

LOL

Food Gunk!

How is it that Cheez-It crumbs go in, and nasty, sticky gunk comes out?

I also use a towel to catch this mystery substance.

Good advice.