Power Steering Pump

Hi guys i just noticed that my power steering pump on my 99 es is leaking a little oil i checked the bolt at the bottom and its tight so i guess its the o rings in the pump do i get the power steering kit where i can replace all the rubber o rings or do i have to get another power steering pump or can i try some power steering stop leak additives, and which one might you guys recommend to put in the reservoir to try to stop the leak.

Its not easy to get to the pump so i want to try to put in some stop leak and see if it helps.Will it be a good idea?

thanks

how long do u thing this job will take, where and what is the power steering rack,is it the rack and pinion steering column or is it something near the pump, as i see it its just leaking at the pump i am waiting for it to get a little warm out there and ill probably do it on sunday

just to try i still wanna try some of the power steering additives and see if it helps and maybe i can get by it and if it doesnt work ill change the pump.Do u think getting the additive in there is going to be bad for the system in anyway

I have heard conflicting stories about adding transmission fluid stop leak (because the ps system in lexus' uses tranny fluid not ps fluid) to the ps system. One mechanic told me that the stop leak would corrode the Power Steering line and I am pretty sure that the line is a dealer item. While another mechanic told me that it wouldn't hurt at all but unless you have only a small leak, the stop leak won't faze the leak. I am really not a good person to be adding to this chain because I didn't use the stop leak. I think my leak magically cured itself. I have a little fluid pooled on the undercarriage of my car but I havn't had to add fluid to the resevoir in over 3 months....strange. I know I can't be this lucky...leaks only get bigger!

Anyway, I know somebody has had to have used stop leak at one time or another and knows if it affects your PS line. Just run a search or wait until someone replys..

good luck,

Philip

how long do u thing this job will take, where and what is the power steering rack,is it the rack and pinion steering column or is it something near the pump, as i see it its just leaking at the pump i am waiting for it to get a little warm out there and ill probably do it on sunday

just to try i still wanna try some of the power steering additives and see if it helps and maybe i can get by it and if it doesnt work ill change the pump.Do u think getting the additive in there is going to be bad for the system in anyway

For what it's worth, I'm generally opposed to any third party additives. It takes many person-years to engineer a modern car because it's critical for all the pieces to work well together. The car is shipped when the design is complete and everything (including the fluids) works well together (usually).

Any third party additive is necessarily a compromise. It's not going to be ideal for everything. In fact, it can make things worse. Let's say that the additive makes the fluid more viscous. In some cases, that would have a negative effect on performance.

And that's not to mention the risk of catastrophic failure. What if the additive causes the system to fail while you're driving down the road at 70 mph? Is that really the time you want to lose your power steering pump?

Yes, my approach is conservative, but if you're talking about a $30+ K machine which could kill you if it fails, I prefer to be conservative.

Toys, by flush do you mean hook it up to a machine or can you replace the old fluid with a suction gun? Would that work just as well?

Is it ok to replace the factory fluid with valvoline max life dexron III atf, or would you reccomend lexus brand fluid?

Toys, by flush do you mean hook it up to a machine or can you replace the old fluid with a suction gun? Would that work just as well?

Is it ok to replace the factory fluid with valvoline max life dexron III atf, or would you reccomend lexus brand fluid?

Please look at your power steering Cap.

Power steering fluid or ATF

Follow that.

So i guess i have to replace that power steering pump guys

i am also kinda not in favour of putting in additives as you dont really know what all they are doing in there and is it all good or all bad

so ill just wait till its nice weather out there get to it till then

ill just drive as its very small i havent seen the level in the reservoir go down

thanks guys