Locked Keys In Trunk

JayMacUTD

I just locked my keys in my trunk while going through it! I called a lock smith and he opened the car doors but said he couldn't get into the trunk without drilling the lock. The trunk release won't work from the inside b/c I have no key! Is there anyway to get into my trunk without having to order another key?

I suggest you ask a Lexus dealer when one opens on Monday. Surely the dealer could order a new key that will get you into the trunk. Its not like you will need to use the new key to start your car.

But if you need a new key that will start your car, here is a link to a thread with programming instructions.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...key+programming

Is there anyway to get into my trunk without having to order another key?

I don't believe so. I just ran a satellite antenna to my trunk lid, and I had to fish the line through some tiny centimeter hole near the subwoofer since I didn't see any other ways in. The gas tank is directly behind the back seat, so I don't believe there is any getting in that way. I'd just have the dealer make a new key since they are prime for situations like this one. ;)

Is there anyway to get into my trunk without having to order another key?

I don't believe so. I just ran a satellite antenna to my trunk lid, and I had to fish the line through some tiny centimeter hole near the subwoofer since I didn't see any other ways in. The gas tank is directly behind the back seat, so I don't believe there is any getting in that way. I'd just have the dealer make a new key since they are prime for situations like this one. ;)

might be the easiest, cheapest way just alil time and fishing

Unfortunately I dont have the manuals for a 99 but I checked the wiring of the 93LS and the trunk unlock solenoid voltage is outputted by the theft deterrent ECU. There is only one connector between the trunk unlock solenoid and the theft deterrent ECU which is buried up under the dash on the drivers side and not very accessible. You need to get the schematics for the 99 LS and if the 99 configuration is similar to the 93 and has a connection point somewhere in the cabin, you could jumper +12v to the trunk unlock solenoid. I don't know how accessible the contacts of your ignition switch are but if you can get the schematics and get on the contacts, a jumper in the right place would most likely power up the theft deterrent ECU and allow you to use the cabin unlock switch. First thing you need to see is if the dealer can help you. Your problem most likely has an electronic solution, no need for a hammer and chisel IMHO.

you may want to try jumping 12 volts to the trunk release switch under the dash. I believe it's electrical maybe not.

this actually happened to me twice :chairshot: the first time i removed the woofer and fished around for a long time b/c there ws alot of stuff in myt trunk. the second time i removed the panel on the drivers side where the trunk and tank release levers are and closed the circuit with a piece of wire and the trunk opened right up.you see wnen you pull the lever it makes the cotacts touch sending power to the switch which opens the trunk, but when you press the keyhole in it slides something in there that prevents you from doing this. DONT go to the dealer or buy a new set of keys , just get a piece of wire and remove the panel to gain access to the back of the trunk release and use the wire to run voltage to the switch and call it a day :cheers:

DONT go to the dealer or buy a new set of keys , just get a piece of wire and remove the panel to gain access to the back of the trunk release and use the wire to run voltage to the switch and call it a day :cheers:

What would JayMacUTD do if he loses his only key? Doesn't it take a working key to program a new one so that the car is driveable?

Isn't a new, expensive ECU required if all keys are lost?

DONT go to the dealer or buy a new set of keys , just get a piece of wire and remove the panel to gain access to the back of the trunk release and use the wire to run voltage to the switch and call it a day :cheers:

What would JayMacUTD do if he loses his only key? Doesn't it take a working key to program a new one so that the car is driveable?

Isn't a new, expensive ECU required if all keys are lost?

unless he wants to remove the front door lock and ECU then send it to some company that ive seen on the web

Lexus provides 1 courtesy ECU replacement per car during its life. You have to hem and haw and gnash your teeth a bit (and maybe call corporate) but they will do it (search on this forum and you'll find evidence that it's true).

I do know if you give the VIN and registration info to Sewell Lexus in Dallas (www.lexus-parts.com) they will cut the key and send it to you; since you need just the trunk you won't need the transponder programmed.

I bought a new remote key for my car off of Ebay from them and they cut and shipped it to me cut for about $100, half of what the dealer would charge me. If you don't want the remote control I think they had the plain transponder keys for about $60, so you might want to look on Ebay also and see if they are listing any keys.

It would open the door and trunk but it didn't start the car until I took it to my dealer (Lexus of Santa Monica)--they programmed in about 10 min for free!

Might be a good idea.

yeah i second the gernerous first time offer that lexus has for replacing keys, but to get by he could at least jump the switch like mentioned......the other option is, and i'm serious here is to get a stong key ring and d clip that has a tiny reel on it, i personally would hate to get caught dead wearing someething like this on my belt loop but i have locked my keys in the trunk twice also, fortunatly for me i still had the lockout key.....whew but if i could avoid spending some serious jack i would just really figure out a way to keep up with that key or in vest in a set of encrypted remote door and trunk poppers cause it's cool and still cheaper than if lex makes you pay for a new set of keys, and then buy an extra remote that stays locked up in my house somewhere, oh well that's kind of out there but i'd run with that key for a bit and save myself the distress of fooling with lex corporate